Having issue with .308

EazyE02

Button Buck
Hey y'all, I'm having some issue with my savage 308 model 11. One of the issue is I can not get some 308 ammo in the chamber I have to force it in which I do NOT like to do, sometimes I have to use two hands to get the bolt to latch in place, when the round in shot it is another issue trying to remove the case from the rifle, I have to again force the bolt back up, I've cleaned this rifle more than 5 times, inspected the barrel, and bolt, I've even taken the bolt apart, and checked it, but I'm stuck on what the cause is, My savage 6.5 CM doesn't have the issue like my 308. Also my 308 shoots way off don't know why. I zeroed the gun in at 50 yards, but when I move it to 100 it is way off. I'm not hitting the target in some shots, could it be the scope? All the mounts are steady and tight, or is it the barrel? It's a cheap rifle I bought it after I graduated high school as my first rifle, wasn't bit 600 at the time came with the Nikon scope, and was bore sighted.

Last edited:

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Sounds like an out of spec chamber and based on what you say about it's grouping at 100 yds it could be a bad barrel as well.
Only a gunsmith is going to be able to diagnose the causes and possible remedies...

EazyE02

Button Buck
I've tried different ammo, Remington core locks, and several other brands, only one seems to go in correctly but when fired it's is difficult to remove that round. I will take it to a gunsmith, and find out.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Take a q-tip and lightly swab it around from the rim all the way to the lands and grooves and see if the chamber has a burr in it. If it does you may be able to have a gunsmith ream it out and smooth it up.
As far as the accuracy, I'd take the scope and mount off, clean the barrel and clean out the threads with alcohol, thread the mounting bolts into the hole and make sure they aren't bottoming out with the mount(That seems to be a common issue). If they aren't then replace the mount and re-mount the scope correctly, making sure to center up the rings and tighten the screws alternately until all are the same.
Then bore sight the scope and get it on paper, shoot a 3 shot group at 30 yards, letting the barrel cool between shots. If it's still slinging bullets all over the place I'd say send it back to the manufacturer.

EazyE02

Button Buck
Take a q-tip and lightly swab it around from the rim all the way to the lands and grooves and see if the chamber has a burr in it. If it does you may be able to have a gunsmith ream it out and smooth it up.
As far as the accuracy, I'd take the scope and mount off, clean the barrel and clean out the threads with alcohol, thread the mounting bolts into the hole and make sure they aren't bottoming out with the mount(That seems to be a common issue). If they aren't then replace the mount and re-mount the scope correctly, making sure to center up the rings and tighten the screws alternately until all are the same.
Then bore sight the scope and get it on paper, shoot a 3 shot group at 30 yards, letting the barrel cool between shots. If it's still slinging bullets all over the place I'd say send it back to the manufacturer.
Will do, I hate to send it off, but the worst case I will have to.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Could be the barrel was set too far back at the factory. I'd stop trying to shoot and have a gunsmith check it out.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Almost sounds like a neck split or broke off.
Need to have it checked,.headspace is key.
Any chance the bolt or parts swapping happened?
Whats the fired case look like, any pictures of the shoulder and neck?

EazyE02

Button Buck
Almost sounds like a neck split or broke off.
Need to have it checked,.headspace is key.
Any chance the bolt or parts swapping happened?
Whats the fired case look like, any pictures of the shoulder and neck?
Everything is in place. Bullets seem fine when fired.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
when you 'remove ' the round , it seems stuck to the chamber ?
the extractor does pull it out ?
is the primer smashed flat into primer well ?
a good maybe SS bore brush and NO oil on the casing/chamber .
check your crown on of bore for burr

EazyE02

Button Buck
There some pictures of the bolt and the magazine, not good pictures but hope they are allowed. Sorry for the dust on the gun lol I stop messing with it for a while decided to take on the problems once again to figure it out

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I do not think your bolt or magazine could be the culprit. Issue is with chambering and removing shells, therefore your issue in in that area. Has the rifle operated correctly in the past? Are you using factory ammo or reloads? Did this start suddenly on incrementally? I know you stated that you have cleaned the rifle, but have you concentrated on the chamber? Doesn't take much in a chamber to cause your issue. Sometimes, denting on the fired brass can be easily seen. As others have stated, a gunsmith would be a good option to pursue if you can't get the chamber correct. Your sighting issue can be addressed when this is corrected.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Most Savage rifles are headspaced using the nut at the base of the barrel. A gunsmith can check it out and reset it. When you load a round into the chamber and close the bolt does it stick when you try to remove it or does it stick only after you fire the round? I think you have a headspace issue.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Do this.
Back the action screws out a few turns.
Not sure on tha savage not my thing but on a many other guns with plastic stocks the screws turned in tight or stock shrinks some the screw will contact the bolt lugs.

See it happen several times. Most on old guns that have aged for say or guns that they stocks have been replaced or worked on.

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
If using reloads are they sized right? Some rifles I can’t neck size for I have to use the full length sizer. Just a thought. If they are factory loads agree with taking it to a smith.

EazyE02

Button Buck
No reloads, only factory ammo. The gun has always been like this. Gotten worser to be honest, only the Winchester brand will go into the chamber with no issue, but shoot way off, Remington core locks are the hardest to insert into the chamber, also the federal is the same.. I will take it to a smith.