Have you downsized to the .410

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I would love to tote a .410 but the only one I have is a single shot. I will never carry a single shot turkey hunting again due to one bad experience.
Had too much pressure on the trigger raising the gun and it went off at his feet.
He stood and spit for just long enough that I could say dang. If I had a pump or semi I could have shot again.
Not that would ever happen again. But now it won’t. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Killer, regarding your unfortunate experience, the same kind of thing happened to me 2 years ago. I normally hunt with a Winchester 37 in .410, which is a single shot. I have no idea what happened but had a shell snap on me 3 times with the bird at 12 yds. As he was leaving I was able to get another shell in and kill him at 26 yds. I always keep a spare shell on my stock so it is a quick reload.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have one of the mossberg 500 pump .410, fun little gun, I’ve killed a couple turkeys with it and a truckload of squirrels

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I'll be walking the woods with a .410 this winter bunny hunting and this spring. If you like to eat meat and not lead, use a .410 haha.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Thanks. Got not much to do right now so was thinking about having the barrel threaded on an old .410 bolt action I have and put a choke on it.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks. Got not much to do right now so was thinking about having the barrel threaded on an old .410 bolt action I have and put a choke on it.

Like the old Mossbergs with an external choke? I have one with modified and full chokes. With the choke off it's very accurate with slugs and higher velocity than with the choke attached. I had it drilled and tapped for a scope rail.

Last edited:

TarheelTurkey

Six Pointer
Lasttombstone you were the first person I ever met that used your 410, so when I started seeing these new 410’s I was thinking they would be right up your ally , I have even considered the savage one for myself based off price

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
The one I use mainly has served me well and I haven't missed with it yet. ;). I haven't looked at any of the newer models available but I'll bet you could buy new for what a good one of these old Winchesters are selling for.

m704

Six Pointer
Lasttombstone you were the first person I ever met that used your 410, so when I started seeing these new 410’s I was thinking they would be right up your ally , I have even considered the savage one for myself based off price
Any LGS have any in stock i would like to see one other than online

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
m704...... if you are talking about the Savage 59B, good luck. It is an old gun that you will just have to keep an eye out for. The only one I found in a quick search was on Armslist in Indiana but it was only $225. I would say a good price if that is what you were interested in and they will ship.

m704

Six Pointer
m704...... if you are talking about the Savage 59B, good luck. It is an old gun that you will just have to keep an eye out for. The only one I found in a quick search was on Armslist in Indiana but it was only $225. I would say a good price if that is what you were interested in and they will ship.
i was referring to the new guns savage 301

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Stevens makes one now, single barrel with screw in chokes. Also come with a scope rail if you want to put optics. Neat little package.

m704

Six Pointer
Stevens makes one now, single barrel with screw in chokes. Also come with a scope rail if you want to put optics. Neat little package.
Yea I seen that only thing concerns me is if u take rail mount off there’s high spot on barrel can’t use bead I wanna keep it simple no optics have u seen one local anywhere

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yea I seen that only thing concerns me is if u take rail mount off there’s high spot on barrel can’t use bead I wanna keep it simple no optics have u seen one local anywhere
Had my hands on one a couple weeks ago, but I was out of state.

Datrip

Six Pointer
Finding the new Stevens 301 is like finding hen's teeth right now. Savage Arms has been overwhelmed with the demand, could not find it on the website the other day. I have one on order locally, hopefully it will come in.