Have you downsized to the .410

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I went down from 12 to 20 years ago but have not officially stepped down to .410
I have a gun ready to go for my 8 yr. old and have a stash of Apex .410 shells but it hasn't been to the woods. Its beautiful on paper, cant wait to see it perform on a tom. I was tempted to use it last year but didnt, its her gun, ill let her get first blood on it.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
You know exactly what I'm doing and that I am very happy about it. There's nothing like a little success to make one feel good about one's choices. I should've gone to the .410 a couple of years earlier but I'm a believer now for sure.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I've carried one, but I won't be going to one anytime soon. I am dropping to a 20 this year...

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m not solely a .410 hunter but I do use it a lot nowadays. Much more comfortable to tote around in the steep hills and hollers I hunt.

Just finished a 12ga build though that I will be using this season

Will likely bring my old win model 37 20ga on some hunts as well

Jrbrandt25

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Another thread got me wondering about how many folks have actually gone to shooting a .410. I know some have downsized to a 20 ga. but who here is hunting turkeys with a .410 only?
I xxxx u not I was looking up .410 Turkey hunting today after reading that post also kinda intrigued

Last edited by a moderator:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Nope but I won’t shoot 3 1/2 anymore .... found every ammonia tried the 3 had a better pattern than the 3.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I can for sure see the appeal but I'm a 12 gauge guy. Ever since I could carry one this has always been my favorite gun for any kind hunting don't ever see me going away but no rule against having more than gun one so ill kill birds with others on occasion but the 12 will always be my baby

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
im working on a 20 gauge build this year but carried the 410 O/U the few times i went last year and will likely carry it a few times this year. With Hawglips loads its a stone cold 40 yard gun.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Legendary call maker Kenny Morgan killed truckloads of turkeys with the .410 before tss ever came on the scene. Guess if I was as smart as he was about birds and could run that tube call like he did I could kill them with a sling shot, but I digress....
Ive always been intrigued by the small bores, but now the tss causes my curiosity rise further.
Gonna have to start rollin' soon...

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I have shot a few birds with my .410, the farthest being 28 yards. I would think that I could have killed any of them with a lead shot but only considered using one after seeing hawglip's results and talking with him. I have no plans to increase my range due to the TSS but do feel better about the lethality of the gun.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I have shot a few birds with my .410, the farthest being 28 yards. I would think that I could have killed any of them with a lead shot but only considered using one after seeing hawglip's results and talking with him. I have no plans to increase my range due to the TSS but do feel better about the lethality of the gun.
This is my feeling on it I don't really want to shoot any great distance but I want to shoot most deadly shell I can I am a person that has hard time if I think I've wounded a bird

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nope, I'm throwing just as much shot, just as fast as I can toward the rare chance that I have at a turkey foolish enough to give me a shot. As long as I can I'm staying with a 12 gauge loaded to the gills with the best patterning shot that I can find.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
TSS must be some kinda good. Every 410 I own or have shot patterns good to 25 yards but falls apart at 30 yards.

Here's some 40 yd .410 patterns (10" and 20" circles - my recipes) that are typical of what folks get:

IMG_3695_zpsssltnw4l.jpg

IMG_3697_zpskhwkjml2.jpg

IMG_3693_zpsgjszsebk.jpg

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Hawglips, your 410 showing in the pictures what brand, model is it? Over /under what chokes in each barrel? How much it weigh? Looks like it a turkey slayer for sure.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've got a 410 coach gun with fixed chokes not sure I could get a pattern out of it that it would make it worth the effort. Sure would be interesting if it did. What is the ideal choke for TSS?