Has the time come for NC to legalize some single shot breech loading cartridge rifles?

Should single shot straight wall cartridge guns be legal during the 'blackpowder firearms' season?

• Total voters

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The one argument I heard mentioned during the WRC big game meeting was that if single shot rifles or air rifles are legalized a hunter with a limited budget that could only afford one firearm could buy one rifle and hunt both blackpowder and 'gun' seasons.

Removing a barrier to deer hunting.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
The one argument I heard mentioned during the WRC big game meeting was that if single shot rifles or air rifles are legalized a hunter with a limited budget that could only afford one firearm could buy one rifle and hunt both blackpowder and 'gun' seasons.

Removing a barrier to deer hunting.
I bow hunt all season long. That argument is irrelevant. Buying a muzzleloader does not prevent you from gun hunting just like having a bow does. It prevent me from hunting during gun season.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I bow hunt all season long. That argument is irrelevant. Buying a muzzleloader does not prevent you from gun hunting just like having a bow does. It prevent me from hunting during gun season.

Not defending it but it was an argument brought up for legalizing single shot straight wall rifles.

The safety issue was also considered. Cartridge guns safer to unload than a muzzleloader.

It is also the issue being pushed for legalizing the Nitrofire type guns (safer to load and unload)

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
In looking Georgia has legalized air rifles in muzzleloader season and Mississippi has legalized single shot rifles in muzzleloader season.................

So there is where the idea came for whoever is pushing this

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
If affording one gun is an argument, that’s stupid because the only true single gun to own would then be a shotgun.

With the train of thought of ‘well other states do it’ then might as well open up turkeys to rifle hunting because other states do it.

There is nothing wrong with the current seasons except length. Muzzleloading should be longer by at least a week.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
If we could just go back to something like this:

A muzzleloader is any firearm that is loaded only through the muzzle. Note: A cap and ball firearm in which the powder and ball are loaded into a cylinder is not a muzzleloader. Muzzleloader deer seasons are restricted to muzzleloading firearms only

But that is never going to happen.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In looking Georgia has legalized air rifles in muzzleloader season and Mississippi has legalized single shot rifles in muzzleloader season.................

So there is where the idea came for whoever is pushing this
They aren’t the only states that have adopted laws to that effect.

The idea was brought up to our commissioners before those laws took effect, back in 2000 or so.

This is nothing new, it’s just finally gaining more support.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
It seems pre-charged pnuematic air rifles have be come the next crossbow with states now falling all over themselves to legalize them.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I know a person that took a deer with a knife once. It was ugly and it almost felt personal. Er, so I was told.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Is the 350 Legend cartridge basically a .357 diameter muzzleloading bullet stuck in a short metallic case with smokeless powder?

The ballistic tip 350 cartridge bullets look similar to the ballistic tip muzzleloading bullets on the market.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Got to examine a 350 Legend cartridge in the flesh.

Despite being 35 cal, the case was a lot smaller than I envisioned it would be.

Can't imagine it outperforming a smokeless muzzle loading rifle based on case capacity.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
I would support legalizing air rifles and arrow guns before this, if I had to compromise. Otherwise, I would support this outright or allowing cartridge loading rifles(even repeaters) in Obsolete/BP cartridges. If the idea is to use "antique/primitive" weapons, honestly, any BP .45-70 trapdoor/1885/1894 is no more capable than a .50/209. In fact, the only straight wall cartridges I am aware of (smokeless included) that can out do a .50/209 magnum( by knights magnum load guide here ) are .500 s&w, and level 2 and 3 .45-70, but only barely. If you want to use your .50-70 1863 Sharps or a single shot Traditions .350 legend on deer, more power to you,

Reactions: CRC