Harsin, Auburn

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Bit of a stretch to call Pete Carroll that. He had the luxury of ESPN salivating over USC much like they do Bama now. He saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship before the NCAA dropped the hammer on them.

As far as Petersen, he would be a middle of the pack coach in the SEC.

Urban myer came from bowling green and Utah and he didn’t have any problems dominating in the sec and winning titles. He was beating the sec before he got there. IMHO I think Chris Peterson was twice as good a coach as myer and would’ve done the same thing had he been offered a gig at one of the top sec programs. But we will never know. He retired long before his time to spend time with his sons while they’re playing ball.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Bit of a stretch to call Pete Carroll that. He had the luxury of ESPN salivating over USC much like they do Bama now. He saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship before the NCAA dropped the hammer on them.
True - Pete Carroll's cheating at USC cost an undefeated Auburn team the 2004 national championship, and later cost Reggie Bush his Heisman trophy...

Regarding Harsin - Hiring a coach from Idaho to recruit in the deep south was a bad idea from the start. NIL made it much worse. Many of the players being recruited don't even know that Idaho is a state...

Last edited:

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
which makes them exactly like boosters at any college.
Gotta have those engaged boosters to buy players these days.
I found this but still cant see why auburn is unique.

LOL. Finebaum’s primary audience Is Alabama fans. His show originates from Birmingham, SPUAT central.

Ask any Auburn fan who went to AU or lived in Alabama and you’ll get the same answer.

I’ve never seen a Tennessee grad more enamored with Alabama than him.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
LOL. Finebaum’s primary audience Is Alabama fans. His show originates from Birmingham, SPUAT central.

Ask any Auburn fan who went to AU or lived in Alabama and you’ll get the same answer.

I’ve never seen a Tennessee grad more enamored with Alabama than him.
100% spot on. Tennessee fans, myself included, can’t stand him.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
I’ve been enjoying the resurgence. I hope it continues.

I miss those UT AU games that used to decide the conference.
Absolutely. I’ve had a ball at games in Knoxville and down in Auburn. It sucks being on the losing end, but as a college sports junkie I did enjoy watching them roll Toomers Corner. Thanks Harvey Updyke for killing a tradition.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Absolutely. I’ve had a ball at games in Knoxville and down in Auburn. It sucks being on the losing end, but as a college sports junkie I did enjoy watching them roll Toomers Corner. Thanks Harvey Updyke for killing a tradition.

He killed some trees but not a tradition. It still happens. It doesn’t like the same (and might not happen again this year, LOL) but they still roll away.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
True - Pete Carroll's cheating at USC cost an undefeated Auburn team the 2004 national championship, and later cost Reggie Bush his Heisman trophy...
Crazy thing is it wasn't even cheating, not according to SCOTUS. They ruled that it was unconstitutional for athletes to have been banned from financially benefitting from their own name. So even when it was a rule, it wasn't legal according to supreme the law of the land.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Harsin gonna have a hard time explaining going for it 4th and 10 from the 40 if they go on to lose this game.

Two weeks in a row, inexplicable 4th down calls. Bailed out last week by Mizzou's ineptitude.

This week AU out-inepted LSU.

Also, I don't know the last time they scored a 2nd half TD.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Two weeks in a row, inexplicable 4th down calls. Bailed out last week by Mizzou's ineptitude.

This week AU out-inepted LSU.

Also, I don't know the last time they scored a 2nd half TD.

I don’t think he survives this. I still feel sorry for him. He has a hopeless look on his face. If he wasn’t as good of a coach as he is they would’ve never had a chance tonight. The 4th down calls were terrible though. I guess he just figured if he is going out then he is going out with guns blazing. He just doesn’t have any offensive players whatsoever. They will never let him stay as long as it will take to get this program turned around.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t think he survives this. I still feel sorry for him. He has a hopeless look on his face. If he wasn’t as good of a coach as he is they would’ve never had a chance tonight. The 4th down calls were terrible though. I guess he just figured if he is going out then he is going out with guns blazing. He just doesn’t have any offensive players whatsoever. They will never let him stay as long as it will take to get this program turned around.

He'll never turn it around the way he's recruiting. They're falling behind ever year he's there.

When Malzahn outrecruits you, you're doomed.

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
It’s a circular argument at this point. The debacle in February doomed any recruiting in the portal for this season. Harsin didn’t know the recruiting landscape in the south but he wasn’t gifted a chance to learn either. The play calling and poor game management by the coaches makes the staff seem inept. The coaching staff had a chance to win this game and pissed it away. Idk what the answer is.. at this point let him go and hope you can find some halfway decent coach that can move the program in a positive direction? Oh and hope the boosters approve of said hire or the process starts over again.. this trainwreck could have been avoided if they’d have kept Tubberville……

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
That's pretty rough. I know ol Gus wasn't liked but for 6 year stretch he beat Bama 3 times not sure they've upgraded at present

I'm confident they haven't. Gus made a lot of head scratcher moves. But Harsin almost seems to want to let the opponent score to end the half. I think every P5 team he has coached against has done so.

To top it off he's gone for it on 4th and 10 at unwise moments two weeks in a row instead of letting his punter, who've been successful, do their jobs. This week he followed that up with a halfback pass on 2nd and goal.

And he isn't recruiting at a level to maintain success in the SECW. He's still thinking like a Boise St coach; that he can get some scrappy players and win in the Mtn West and occasionally knock off a traditional power.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
It’s a circular argument at this point. The debacle in February doomed any recruiting in the portal for this season. Harsin didn’t know the recruiting landscape in the south but he wasn’t gifted a chance to learn either. The play calling and poor game management by the coaches makes the staff seem inept. The coaching staff had a chance to win this game and pissed it away. Idk what the answer is.. at this point let him go and hope you can find some halfway decent coach that can move the program in a positive direction? Oh and hope the boosters approve of said hire or the process starts over again.. this trainwreck could have been avoided if they’d have kept Tubberville……

I'm a Tuberville fan, but let's not forget his penchant for duck hunting while other coaches were recruiting, or the famed Nallsminger offense.

The Montgomery Advertiser asked 14 Alabama HS coaches their thoughts on Harsin. 7 said they'd never met him. All 14 get a visit from Saban every year. Harsin has no idea what it takes to win in the SECW. He thinks he can win with some scrappy players and good luck.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Harsin can in the 1st half.

Against the last 8 P5 teams AU has scored 21 in the second half.

The last 9 P5 teams, 8 have scored in the last minute of the first half. PSU, the 9th, scored in the last 2.

Harsin doesn't understand the importance of clock mgt and ball control against better athletes. He is being out coached on and off the field.

ETA

Second half points...

2021 Ole Miss 3
2021 Texas A&M 0
2021 Mississippi State 6
2021 South Carolina 3
2021 Alabama 0
2022 Penn State 6 (down 31-6 v PSU backups)
2022 Missouri 0
2022 LSU 0

Last edited:

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
If I were the AD at Auburn or Nebraska the top two names of coaches that would be on the sheet of paper I keep in my desk would be:

1. Lane Kiffen-Like him or not the guy can coach. I am happy we have Heupel, but I believe if Kiffen would have stayed at UT we would have a championship by now. No way he wants to stay at Ol Miss the rest of his career. Has recruiting ties in the south as well as California.

2. Dave Clawson-Doing a remarkable job at Wake Forest. Already knows how to recruit in the south from his brief stint as OC at UT. Fulmer really handcuffed him while he was there so we never saw his offensive full potential.

Whomever Auburn selects, they need to be strong on defense as well. The old adage still rings true, offense wins games and defense wins championships.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
If I were the AD at Auburn or Nebraska the top two names of coaches that would be on the sheet of paper I keep in my desk would be:

1. Lane Kiffen-Like him or not the guy can coach. I am happy we have Heupel, but I believe if Kiffen would have stayed at UT we would have a championship by now. No way he wants to stay at Ol Miss the rest of his career. Has recruiting ties in the south as well as California.

2. Dave Clawson-Doing a remarkable job at Wake Forest. Already knows how to recruit in the south from his brief stint as OC at UT. Fulmer really handcuffed him while he was there so we never saw his offensive full potential.

Whomever Auburn selects, they need to be strong on defense as well. The old adage still rings true, offense wins games and defense wins championships.
Auburn would be bored silly with Clawson. Now Nebraska should give him whatever it takes. They watched wishbone bS for years and were happy,