Harris Lake meeting with NCWRC

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
"Harris Lake meeting with NCWRC"

So whats the lake got to say. How is the water in the lake going to talk with NCWRC?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
he probably doesn't catch the five fish limits of bass from harris that weigh 40lbs either, but their existence is common knowledge.
are you saying there aren't any blue cats in harris?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Fishing report at link says they caught a 32 lb blue out of Harris.

One time fluke?

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
No. He like most on here doubt your reasoning behind all the crap you post when everyone knows you neither fish or hunt................

Why does his posting bother you so much.....he just posts information that is knowledge for all.....this forum is full of jackasses which is why I rarely visit.

And I too wish they'd leave the hydrilla and grass in every lake alone especially harris. This lake is a complete disgrace compared to what it used to be. And it does have boue cats in it, I know personally.

And I read the article. Just parked for the course for the ncwrc.....they don't know the difference between their butt and a hole in the ground. They are experts on destroying fisheries. As soon as a lake(like Harris and Tucker town) gets a great source of grass/cover they kill it.....and for no good reason whatsoever. Now Harris is like the dead sea for both fishing and duck hunting. I know some of you will say it's a great lake because you have no clue what it was like before the grass was killed. It's heart breaking.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
The fact that you say “they don’t know their butt from a hole in the ground” in regards to the ncwrc tells me all I need to know about how you think. If they’re so stupid, then please tell them how to handle invasive plants. Yes hydrilla can be beneficial to fish but the negatives outweigh the positives especially on a body of water used as a cooling source. But god forbid it affects the precious little ditch pickles that the lake is known for.

As far the OP is concerned, he knows why I have no use for him. Like you, I was once naive enough to actually try to help him on fishing locations and truly wanted to help him but then after all the belittling comments on how myself and others do our jobs involving natural resources, I realized he has no clue about anything he posts. I got tired of his :donk:donk:donk:donk and called him on it. But with your “they don’t know their butts from a hole in the ground” comment, it seems y’all are two peas in a pod.

Last edited:

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
The fact that you say “they don’t know their butt from a hole in the ground” in regards to the ncwrc tells me all I need to know about how you think. If they’re so stupid, then please tell them how to handle invasive plants. Yes hydrilla can be beneficial to fish but the negatives outweigh the positives especially on a body of water used as a cooling source. But god forbid it affects the precious little ditch pickles that the lake is known for.

As far the OP is concerned, he knows why I have no use for him. Like you, I was once naive enough to actually try to help him on fishing locations and truly wanted to help him but then after all the belittling comments on how myself and others do our jobs involving natural resources, I realized he has no clue about anything he posts. I got tired of his :donk:donk:donk:donk and called him on it. But with your “they don’t know their butts from a hole in the ground” comment, it seems y’all are two peas in a pod.

I could write a whole book on the fisheries, land, resources, etc that the ncwrc has either ruined or let be destroyed in my lifetime. We have the worst wrc of any state I've ever been in and I've fished/hunted all over the Eastern US. IDK crc in person, never met him, just know that he posts on here and has as long as I remember. I've never seen him be disrespectful....he just shares information. If you can't respond with anything intelligent then just shut up and keep it to yourself.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
But hydrilla is a non native species.

Surely they can find a native replacement?

rascals dad

Button Buck
I think we are way off base. The state legislature makes policy NCWC only does what they say to do. We need to blame the right people.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I could write a whole book on the fisheries, land, resources, etc that the ncwrc has either ruined or let be destroyed in my lifetime. We have the worst wrc of any state I've ever been in and I've fished/hunted all over the Eastern US. IDK crc in person, never met him, just know that he posts on here and has as long as I remember. I've never seen him be disrespectful....he just shares information. If you can't respond with anything intelligent then just shut up and keep it to yourself.

So you can write a whole book on what you claim they have ruined or let be destroyed but why not write a book on solutions?!?!? If they’re so stupid and you’re so smart, then why in the hell are you not working for them. I know several biologists in N.C. and I can assure you they would love for someone to tell them a better way to manage the natural resources of the state........that is feasible. All the biologist I know love the resource and want to do the absolute best thing they can do within their means.

As far as the keeping my mouth shut if I can’t say anything intelligent, I’ve tried that but in order to communicate With a small fraction of the members on this forum, I have to speak on their level...........

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
But hydrilla is a non native species.

Surely they can find a native replacement?
i dont think you understand the dynamics. duke doesnt want any vegetation.
but there isnt a native that provides the habitat that non native milfoil and hydrilla can bring.
I wish jordan was clear enough for it to take hold.

Reactions: CRC

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
i dont think you understand the dynamics. duke doesnt want any vegetation.
but there isnt a native that provides the habitat that non native milfoil and hydrilla can bring.
I wish jordan was clear enough for it to take hold.

not clear enough and some late summers it gets down alot so if any started they most likely would die,......I like Jordan waaaaay better than Harris because of the lack of Milfoil and hydrilla.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
not clear enough and some late summers it gets down alot so if any started they most likely would die,......I like Jordan waaaaay better than Harris because of the lack of Milfoil and hydrilla.
well mack just think of all the wasted areas in Jordan and imagine they are now hydrilla flats. It would be astounding.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
" I know several biologists in N.C. and I can assure you they would love for someone to tell them a better way to manage the natural resources of the state"

I tell every single one that I meet to just leave the grass the heck alone. It never was a problem for the first 30 some odd years that the lake was open. two of the greatest Fisheries that this world has ever known have been destroyed by the loss of grass in North Carolina alone. As well as the best small Lake in the country in Sharon Harris. first it was Currituck, second it was mattamuskeet, and now it's Sharon Harris. The first two are like the Dead Sea now. You don't see the Michigan Wildlife Resources Commission killing all the grass in the lakes or the Florida Wildlife Resources Commission killing all the grass in their lakes or Wisconsin or Minnesota or Texas, etc. When I first got wind of the state and North Carolina State University killing grass and Sharon Harris I called them and told them how bad of an idea this was as did many others. Because I have seen it happen too many times to count now. So yes I know exactly what the solution is. Leave it alone and then figure out how we can keep it and make more of it unlike what happened in Currituck and mattamuskeet. And while they are at it maybe they could figure out how to manage Lakes like Randleman so that 10 years down the road they're not like cesspools. That could have continued to be the best like in the state if we just knew how to take care of it. But no..... they'll let anybody and everybody take how many ever trophy fish out of the lake to stock their ponds and freezers instead of putting limits on it and enforcing it so we can have it for years to come...... instead theyre too concerned about out where fisherman take a piss at. Now, they have killed all of the grass in Tucker town(both the Rover grass, hydrilla and tye canary grass) which benefited the fishery greatly. They say that the grass carp they put in there(to supposedly kill the black snot) took all the grass out when in fact they actually sprayed it as well. I know this because I saw it happen. And for what reason I will never know? now the only thing in the lake is the blacks not that everybody hates. And it's trying to take over badin as well. Another classic blunder that comes to mind is how they destroyed lake junaluska (which was a giant Largemouth factory) by draining.....not once but TWICE!!!!!! The dam needed a little work so they drained it completely dry. When all was said and done there were countless 10-16 lb Largemouth laying in the mud dead. How in the world did we let that happen? It never recovered as the fisheries above never did and never will ......I could go on all day long about the moronic things the ncwrc does and has done and continues to do. I am not a biologist and I don't have all the answers to the problems but I do have common sense. Common Sense tells me with all of these experiences that if you kill grass in a lake(or change something is already as good as it can possibly be) you are giving it the death sentence.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well now duckmauler that is a mouthful. I have heard your sentiments many times from anglers.

I don't think you need to blame the ncwrc for Currituck. mother nature took care of it's fishery.
randleman had the local water authority setting those silly ass rules they had, not the ncwrc.

I think the grass gets destroyed when the owners of the impoundments make their case that it interferes with the owners intent for the lake. they usually don't care if we catch bigguns. :) The ncwrc isn't in control of all that you may think in those instances. they have to do the devil's work sometime.

and as you know there are users of the lake including some fishermen who hate grass. In fact the two best deep structure fishermen I know wish it was all gone.

on junaluska bs on the countless 16lbers. :) sorry it just doesn't jive with known bass populations in NC. So my bias is to dismiss it as hyperbole.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
. :) The ncwrc isn't in control of all that you may think in those instances. they have to do the devil's work sometime.

Duckmauler, if you only take one thing away from anything you’ve ever read or will read, please heed what I just quoted from oldest school. You may want to talk to the people where you pay your power bill or if on municipal utilities, who you get your drinking water from. They (ncwrc) are well aware of how vegetation is beneficial to fish. But you gotta remember that vegetation releases/dies annually and when considering a lake like Sharon Harris, where the water is used as a cooling source, all that vegetation stopping up intake/outflow could cause catastrophic issues if not handled. Is a fish worth that? I personally don’t think so but in today’s times of coal ash spills and liability, no company or agency wants that put on them. I’ve pulled gill nets before that looked like a 300 yard gilly(sp?) suit from Eurasian milfoil releasing in the fall. Those nets were only on the water for 3 hours. So imagine the sheer amount of vegetation.

As far as randlemen, it’s no secret that lakes will have a “boom” period of 10+\- years after impoundment. Just ask people that fished Jordan in the early years. I kinda equate it to deer hunters who experienced the boom in deer in the 90’s early 2000’s. We all get spoiled in times like that but now you’ll hear hunters bitching about “they ain’t no deer no more”. In most of those cases, the deer are fine, there numbers have balanced out and are where they should be. Same issue with fish. I couldn’t begin to tell you how many times older guys come up to me and ask why the fishing ain’t like it used to but they can’t get those “boom” years out of their heads. Or how many times crappie fishermen come up to me and say their all gone when I just got done shocking hundreds of quality fish. In that case, they don’t realize fish don’t always bite.

Reactions: CRC

Fisherman

Button Buck
I think lily pads and grass are still native but the spraying that was documented to be done around boat ramps for hydrilla has eliminated the pads over most of the lake. Guess boat ramps definition covers a large area. Only pads I can find is in one small area with stems everywhere else.

Areas that used to have pads and clean water now have dead stems and dirty water. I guess mud holes are an improvement. Go look.

I especially liked comment from NCWF that fish population wouldn’t be impacted. This is curious especially since habitat for smaller aquatic food sources will be eliminated.

If you go look at results of their work at Lake Wylie, fishermen there are happy now when they have a five fish stringer weighing 14 pounds. I do believe the health of the fish is an indicator of water quality. Well when we have mud cats as the best fish in the lake everyone will feel like the government is doing a good job.

As Will Rogers used to say all I know is what I read in the newspaper.