Harris for duck hunting??

Trappertod

Six Pointer
Hey guys, not rally seeking specifics or "spots", but I am looking somewhere to take my son duck hunting in the earlier parts of the season. Where we normally hunt we can't shoot ducks until after deer season. I thought about taking the boat and decoys out to the lake. Anyone been there before? I hear it can get a little crowded, but I am ok with other people there. Not really looking a limit, just wanting to spend some quality time with my son and maybe shoot at some ducks. I have also been looking at Jordans maps as well, especially those impoundment areas.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Better get there early. Like the day prior early. I gave up on that place a long time ago. It took every bit of fun out of duck hunting.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I enjoy Harris just for a change or scenery, but dont go in with high expectations. Go the day before pick out at least 4 or 5 possible spots and if you dont sleep on the boat be prepared to use spot 5. There will be led lanterns every 100 yards in some coves. But dont let it deter you, you'll have a good time just getting the kid out. Theres always plenty of wildlife to observe, more than likely you ll see some ducks,and the beavers are always a treat. Take the fishing poles, the perch always bite a night crawler when the hunting is slow.

Most times I tell people to find the weeds and vegetation but I fish there at least twice a month and this summer I've seen the least amount of vegetation I ve ever seen. Not sure what the state is doing in there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Don’t think it’s the State, more likely Duke Energy. They have eradicated just about all the hydrilla there. They don’t want it interfering with their ability to draw water for their cooling towers. No hydrilla, no ducks. It’s a shame, used to be a good place to hunt.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
You didn't mention your sons age but why not make it a road trip and take him on an overnight with a guided hunt the next day. Down at the coast. He will remember that for a long time.

JD1107

Harris isn’t worth the headache in my opinion. I’ve had good hunts there, but they are few and far between. Like others have mentioned be ready to sleep in your boat and have others all around you. Jordan can be decent but again it’s a public lake that gets over hunted. IF you choose to hunt either lake look up which days you can and if possible hit it during the week when it’s less crowded. Good luck!

Trappertod

Six Pointer
You didn't mention your sons age but why not make it a road trip and take him on an overnight with a guided hunt the next day. Down at the coast. He will remember that for a long time.

We do that too, I was just thinking of somewhere closer by home until our normal area is able to be hunted after deer season. Plus a change of scenery

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I get the change of scenery thing. Sometimes its nice to hunt somewhere other than the usual go to spots. I do it from time to time, like you dont care about limits or tagging out just nice to look at different stuff