Harrington & Richardson "Huntsman" 45 cal muzzleloader

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
I recently purchased this ML at an auction.
I am wanting to use it for the upcoming BP season.
I have done a little bit of online research and YouTube.
I believe mine is the screw-in type breach plug for the #11 cap. It has 2 holes I think for the tool that would have come with it. I tried to get the breach plug out, but no luck yet.
It a nice looking ML. I will post some pictures soon.
If I go the patch n ball, what size.
I might try the conical.
Loose powder or pellets?
What about converting over to the 209 primer?
Any info would be great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I recently purchased this ML at an auction.
I am wanting to use it for the upcoming BP season.
I have done a little bit of online research and YouTube.
I believe mine is the screw-in type breach plug for the #11 cap. It has 2 holes I think for the tool that would have come with it. I tried to get the breach plug out, but no luck yet.
It a nice looking ML. I will post some pictures soon.
If I go the patch n ball, what size.
I might try the conical.
Loose powder or pellets?
What about converting over to the 209 primer?
Any info would be great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The threads in the barrel for the plug is 5/8-18 soak them good. You probably need to make a spanner wrench to remove that plug.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
You should find all your answers over on Graybeards ..... https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/113-huntsman-sidekick-muzzle-loaders.html

#11 caps seem to work best with loose powder. ALWAYS pop a few caps before loading to help prevent hang fires.
Thanks for the lead on Graybeards. searching through their H&R section I already found out some info. 1 guy had the spec sheet for the breach removal tool. I have a buddy that is a machinist, i'm gonna see if he can make me one if I cant buy one.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
So I reached out to Toby Bridges of "NORTH AMERICAN MUZZLELOADER HUNTING"
He also gave me some great insight and info about this ML.
Here is the link to his article.

Thinking Minie' bullet, loose powder. I also found a new breech plug on Numrich Gun parts. But i have to get the old one out first.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That is an early model one, the later ones had notches in the back of the plug. One of the things you have to look out for is the firing pin rusting or corroding out and not getting the cap placed down good and when you slam it shut going off. They changed the design later because of that.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
You should find all your answers over on Graybeards ..... https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/113-huntsman-sidekick-muzzle-loaders.html

#11 caps seem to work best with loose powder. ALWAYS pop a few caps before loading to help prevent hang fires.

My Renegade use #11's ....... I used to speak alot with Don in Tc's custom shop(he is now retired) and he told me RWS caps in the red tin are a little hotter than CCI's etc. I have used them for years since he told me that and never had a problem with them.