Harold Auten....

manybeards

Ten Pointer
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net...=7ad625fec8e4589a5984b7f6fe17646a&oe=556BCF90...... On a cool morning in October 1980 Harold was fishing the deep channel in Carolina Beach Inlet when he hooked and landed a Summer Flounder weighing 20 lbs 8 oz........ This fish continues to be the NC State Record and the World Record for 10 lb class line...... Mr Auten recently passed away,but surely left his mark. I wonder if this record will ever be equaled or broken?

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I saw a 17 lb flounder caught in the same area in 1978. Breaking the record? Southern Flounder are under a lot of pressure in NC. Best chance?? A fish may survive to record size in the CB Inlet to Southport area if she can survive the trips out to spawn.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Biggest Flounder I have ever seen was in the fish house at Holden Beach mounted and on the wall, if I remember correctly it weighed over 16 lbs. Years ago we gigged Flounder up to 11 lbs at times. A friend of mine and I were fishing Winyah Bay out of Georgetown SC one day and he caught a 12.63 lb. Flounder on a grub while we were Speck fishing, we had the fish weighed on certified scales in Georgetown..

Another friend of mine gigging Murrell's Inlet SC many years ago saw a huge Flounder out on the edge of the channel that goes out into the Ocean there . As he approached the fish to gig it the big Flounder ran out to deep water.. My friend told us he had never seen a Flounder anywhere nearly as big as that one was.

CarolinaWildlife

Ten Pointer
I'm not sure what this one weighed..but it was gigged at Topsail this past summer.
Notice...there are TWO flounder..the small one is 15 inches.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422149772318.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422149772318.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 2

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
That's a big ole boy. A few years ago I was out in my front yard when a pick-up truck came by. The guy driving stopped and asked me if I would like to see a big Flounder I said sure. He pulled into my driveway got out and opened the cooler in the back of his truck. He said his fish was 14 lbs. caught around the Morehead City Atlantic Beach highrise bridge...I agree with him, it was a biggun...

23mako

Ten Pointer
Only one way to eat the big flounders. Bake them whole with onions, potatoes, bacon, eggs and potatoes.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Only one way to eat the big flounders. Bake them whole with onions, potatoes, bacon, eggs and potatoes.

I like fried fish, but I can eat baked fish occasionally just not often. I know frying is the most unhealthy way to eat anything though..Your recipe sounds good..

23mako

Ten Pointer
I like fried fish, but I can eat baked fish occasionally just not often. I know frying is the most unhealthy way to eat anything though..Your recipe sounds good..

It is a good recipe. When its all said and done it almost turns into a stew. I'll have to talk to my mom and get her recipe to try and post on here.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
It is a good recipe. When its all said and done it almost turns into a stew. I'll have to talk to my mom and get her recipe to try and post on here.

Yes your Mom's recipe would be nice. We have a fish stew recipe here that is good. We like Catfish for a good stew its been too long without one now for us, gotta make one soon...Just wondering if you put a fish stew over rice , we always have it that way here..

Last edited:

LawDog

Ten Pointer
Capt. Jimmy Price will have a hard time breaking that record and he is caught some big flounder. I saw Capt. Jimmy this weekend at the saltwater seminar in Cary...he is a mess.

23mako

Ten Pointer
Yes your Mom's recipe would be nice. We have a fish stew recipe here that is good. We like Catfish for a good stew its been too long without one now for us, gotta make one soon...Just wondering if you put a fish stew over rice , we always have it that way here..

I have never done one with rice but may need to try it. This particular one is done in a large baking pan and you just scoop out a big piece of flounder with some of the other fixins. Would be good on rice though.

23mako

Ten Pointer
Capt. Jimmy Price will have a hard time breaking that record and he is caught some big flounder. I saw Capt. Jimmy this weekend at the saltwater seminar in Cary...he is a mess.

He is the definition of a curmudgeon.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I saw a 17 lb flounder caught in the same area in 1978. Breaking the record? Southern Flounder are under a lot of pressure in NC. Best chance?? A fish may survive to record size in the CB Inlet to Southport area if she can survive the trips out to spawn.
His post says "summer flounder". Which would certainly be the species of the two most likely to break the record if it ever happens.

Last edited: