Hard of hearing?

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe this’ll help...

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know they can get into the 5-6k range. So far my ears are doing ok......my eyes are another story all together

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
If I ever get to the point where I can't hear drumming anymore then $700 will be a small price to pay to get that back. Thankfully I haven't lost the ability to hear the best sound in nature yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If I ever get to the point where I can't hear drumming anymore then $700 will be a small price to pay to get that back. Thankfully I haven't lost the ability to hear the best sound in nature yet.

A SOUND I wish I could hear. Other than video I’ve never heard it. thought about getting some walker game ears and see if I can hear it.

Randy

Ten Pointer
I’ve called in and killed my share of gobblers but only ever heard drumming twice. I normally can’t even hear it on videos made to showcase it, even with my computer sound turned all the way up.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve called in and killed my share of gobblers but only ever heard drumming twice. I normally can’t even hear it on videos made to showcase it, even with my computer sound turned all the way up.
Same here. I have excellent hearing, but either I can’t hear that frequency or it’s very unimpressive. I’ve called them in spitting but drumming doesn’t register. What I find more impressive is when you can hear the “thumping” in their chest because the gobble is so close.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My hearing aides cost way more than that so i guess i have lost mire than $700 in hearing,,,,,,:unsure::confused::unsure:
Same here. I started wearing hearing aids when I was hunting with a friend and he was hearing gobbles that didn't exist for me. Thankfully Medicare has started to help with the cost.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i ask because i dont know.
If you can hear them on a video doesnt that mean you could hear one while hunting?
Or is there some amplification that the video brings that may aid us in hearing drumming on videos but would still mean we cant hear them when we need to?
I can hear that "spit" usually before the drumming in the woods.

csmacken

Four Pointer
A SOUND I wish I could hear. Other than video I’ve never heard it. thought about getting some walker game ears and see if I can hear it.
Same here. Never heard it in the wild and I've had my fair share of opportunities.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i can think of one better sound that they make up close. In some hard soil conditions or in leaves you can hear them drag their wings while strutting. That's on par with the drumming for me.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I have trouble hearing the drumming, too, and my hearing isn't great but is still OK. I mostly have trouble understanding when there are lots of sounds going on ... but I can hear a beetle in the leaves if it's quiet.

I think it must be a frequency thing.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i have heard it discussed and some folks think they cant pick up the "frequency" of the drumming, thus my question on how some can hear it on a video but think they cant hear the sound "in person".

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
i have heard it discussed and some folks think they cant pick up the "frequency" of the drumming, thus my question on how some can hear it on a video but think they cant hear the sound "in person".
How about someone that can hear certain turkeys drumming but not others? Because I can tell you that’s just weird;). I’ve heard birds drumming at 100 yds, and others spitting and shimmying at 20 and I never heard it?!?

And the difference in drumming between subspecies is fascinating to me as well.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
How about someone that can hear certain turkeys drumming but not others? Because I can tell you that’s just weird;). I’ve heard birds drumming at 100 yds, and others spitting and shimmying at 20 and I never heard it?!?

Happened to me last year in Ohio. Watched a bird spit and strut for an hour and never heard him drum until I shot him at about 6 yds. Barely heard him....others I can hear at 100+ yds....odd

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I've only heard one drumming that I know of. He was very close but on the other side of a brush pile. I was in a field that had been clear cut and the brush had been piled up in lines through the field. Almost like hunting hedgerows. It was my second year turkey hunting. I honestly thought the sound was a chainsaw off in the distance the way the sound fluctuated. I finally convinced him to go to the end of the row and peak around the corner. My partner shot him.

I've heard plenty of spitting.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
It took me a few years to figure out what I was hearing and to key in on the sound. I have friends who also say they can't hear it either due to the frequency. I know some microphones can't pick up the sound either. Sometimes I can feel it more than hear it. That sound gives me chills every time I am fortunate enough to hear it.

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
My hearing aides cost way more than that so i guess i have lost mire than $700 in hearing,,,,,,:unsure::confused::unsure:

Same here.... try $6000+

To all you young guys.... protect your hearing from day 1! Mine is mostly hereditary but I’m very hard of hearing known the less. Although when I want to go to sleep it’s pretty nice. Just take out my “ears” & commence to snoring.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I’ve only heard one drum, came in behind me at about 5 yards. Killed plenty of birds and had many close, guess I just don’t hear that type sound well.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Same here. I have excellent hearing, but either I can’t hear that frequency or it’s very unimpressive. I’ve called them in spitting but drumming doesn’t register. What I find more impressive is when you can hear the “thumping” in their chest because the gobble is so close.
Yep,that's what I like,you can almost feel it.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Ive got 2 different theories on the subject.
- I think that a lot of people dont hear the drumming because they dont know what the sound is, or what to listen for.
- But....I believe that a gobbler that is actively strutting for a hen that is with him is very, very low key. Like he's singing a soft little song to her. The spits are even softer too. Close up drumming videos on the youtube are like that to me, I cant hear it.
But a lone gobbler that is slam fired up and hammering as he is coming straight to you is much different. The spitting volume increases and the drumming intensifies. Those are the ones that I can hear way out there.

Lawnscaper

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Same here, I can hear the spit but not the drum, I can hear a gobble from a long way off but can't hear a little bird chirping on a limb in front of me.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
WHAT?...Just kidding. I have high frequency damage to my hearing from too much unprotected shooting and loud music,. I think my low frequency hearing has adapted to pick up lower range better than most people hear. I hear diesel engines and helicopters at greater distances than anybody else I know. Yet I can't hear the alarm on my wristwatch.

Drumming is my favorite sound in the world. I'm pretty sure it translates to "Take the Safety Off." I've had birds drum & come in that never gobbled. I heard them drumming at distance and called 'em in by using clucks and leaf scratching only.

Jim

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Drumming is one of those sounds that you “can’t” hear until you know what to listen for. It is very subtle, and very easy to “ignore” if you are excited and your heart is racing. 😬

If you really struggle, go find some barnyard turkeys and call to them. You will hear it then because your brain won’t be giving you “turkey fever”. Then take that to the woods and enjoy!

The best examples I can think of are all of the first birds I’ve put people on over the years. Probably 15 of them have been kids and 15 adults. Most of those first birds drummed at some point. I’d say less than 5 people heard them. It’s easy to miss.

Last edited: