HARD Lesson Learned....

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
O.K. .... this is embarrassing to admit, but I must! I took the bow out to try and kill a very nice buck that has been showing up 730-830 a few times a week. I don't get to hunt much with my schedule so I made sure to be in the stand Saturday morning until my commitment at 930 am. Well, I saw some very good activity and had a good feeling he would show up. I was a little paranoid about the time because I HAD TO get down by 915am. I checked my phone and it was 845. I saw I had a text message, so I checked it. Also, someone tagged me in a Facebook post so I checked it...then I started scrolling FB and next thing you know......snort, ...wheeze....GONE!!!! He came in and I was on the cell phone like an idiot! I really hate to admit it, but it's true.
With my crazy schedule and limited time to pursue my hobbies (hunting is my favorite)...I got sucked in and missed an opportunity at a very nice buck. The phone will stay with me, but it gets shut off before I go in and doesn't get turned back on until I'm in my truck.
I FEEL DUMB!!!!!

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think you're not alone in this - a lot of us have gotten caught doing the same exact thing; having the phone in our hands instead of paying attention to business when a big buck comes by.

happened to me 3 or 4 years ago, looking at the phone when a nice buck stepped into view of my ground blind window not 7 yards away.......

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I think you're not alone in this - a lot of us have gotten caught doing the same exact thing; having the phone in our hands instead of paying attention to business when a big buck comes by.

happened to me 3 or 4 years ago, looking at the phone when a nice buck stepped into view of my ground blind window not 7 yards away.......
That's exactly why I shared this, If for no other reason than to spare someone the disgust I felt and still feel.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Probably wouldn't have been easy to draw back on him without getting busted either, but a much better way to get busted! Not sure what kind of stand you were in, but we wrap the ladder stands with burlap or something to conceal movement. We like to update and insult each other while in the stands.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I keep mine on me. Kids and wife... it gets a glance if text or calls come in and that’s pretty much it. Most everything else gets tabled until I’m back at the house.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Don’t feel too bad, I set my climber up in a new spot a few days ago and was passing the time the same way you were. Stood up to take a leak only to look down & see a doe standing 25 feet away. My movement definitely let her know I was there, even up in the tree. Before cell phones, I’d often take a paperback book to pass the time & the same thing would happen. Too bad it was a deer you had seen & really wanted to take, hopefully you’ll get another opportunity at him!

thandy

Ten Pointer
I always take my phone and I check it from time to time. I had a couple does grazing a few yards away from the tree i was in one day when mine staring going off. The ringer was off but the vibration was not. They looked right at me and I never moved, they snorted and stomped for a while but never ran off. Now the phone stays on but EVERYTHING that makes a sound or vibrates is cut off.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
you hiring?

I'd like to make $65 per minute!

I do monthly video conference calls with my clients people and she was a district manager making 65,000.00 plus performance bonus but couldn't stay off her phone during the calls. She was warned twice and the 3rd time was a charm, for me anyway....
Replaced her within a week with an up and coming site manager and all was well within the kingdom... But I'll keep you in mind....