Happy Mothers Day

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
GoodWife just got a Desert Digital Hipoint 995 9mm Carbine. (For Valentines she got a Titanium KSG 15 shot pump). I think with the beach trip in July I'm in good for the year!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
She likes it a lot. With luck, off to the range tomorrow to workout with both. The 9mm carbine was a moment of clear thinking. We're getting ready to retire, probably to live a bit remote and with both of us having a bit of arthritis in the hands, needing something a bit larger/easier to handle around the house. Plus, if accurate enough, this should serve to out such country varmints as small piggies and coyotes as and when needed or bunnies in the garden, etc.

I cycled Fiocchi hollow points through it tonight to be sure. It seems to feed and eject perfect. If it handles my crappy reloads on the range, I think we'll have a winner for her to plink and use for other projects as well. I'm reading that these can be counted on for about 3" groups at 100 yards and regular dings on steel gongs at 200 yards.

oyNWHQX.jpg

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
If this runs like a clock or at least a timex, then It may resolve many issues for my mamma. She's 76 and though she carries, it can be a bear for her to shoot a revolver enough to get some good practice. Fingers just ain't strong enough anymore and can't even rack a semi auto pistol. Only problem she may have with this it the trigger pull is at least as heavy as a revolver. We'll have to see. She'll be by one day and I'll have her shoot GoodWife's and we'll go from there.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Those are fun guns, cheap but effective. Buying ammo in bulk will soon become a habit if it won't cycle your reloads. But I'll bet it will.
The one I had would shoot anything with only an occasional stovepipe.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Had it out today. The HiPoint 995 Carbine is everything the interweb says it is. It feeds even my junk 147 RN and 124 flat point 9mm reloads that have not been tumbled since 1995 and are a lovely shade of dirt ground in with black bits of crap. This gun eats the Fiocchi Xtrema 124g JHP like it was sent from the gun gods. It fires wonderfully accurate at 30 yards and is nearly stupid boring to ring and ring and ring and ring and ring the 6" steel off hand at that range.

We put 200 rounds of reloads that only a loose as heck factory normal Glock would ever even consider feeding reliably.....they all went in, went bang and came out. Heck, didn't even break down the gun for cleaning before hand.

So. Looks like GoodWife loves this one. With tax, the best $350 I spent in a long time and for her and I as we move closer toward a retirement property (and don't carry 9mm anyway) a hands down better than any handgun for defense and better than any 22 LR for practice. We're loving it.

Next job will be to set her up with dual mag holder for 30 rounds on board, a 1x or 2x optic and a very powerful lamp out front. Then its all about rolling cans and golf balls and ringing steel.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
We also took out the KSG Titanium 12g Bull Pup. Wonderful gun. It likes a snappy operation of the pump with a definite but short stop just prior to moving the shell to the chamber. It is possible to pump faster than the shell can move from one of the two magazines to the lifter.

We fed it my heavy 1 1/8 oz reloads of 7.5 and a full box of Rem STS Lite 7.5 and 15 rounds of Fiocchi 9 pellet 00 buck. It runs fantastic.

Of note, there is zero kick in the face. We put a pad on top but I don't think that would even be needed. The recoil is straight back into the shoulder. Superb weapon and by the time you blast out 15 rounds yer jumpin up and down and yelling for a beer. As for the tru glo electronic sight....it works great, but it didn't survive the first range trip. $60 bucks and it has a cracked windshield. Given it also has to be turned on, I think we'll junk it for a 1 or 2x non electronic optic and add a powerful lamp for lo light use.

Again, this one was expensive but dayum, its a nice shotgun. I think it might go deer hunting in the back yard. For sure it's goin out for trap and skeet.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I think we'll be much happier with this 1x24 scope for quick accurate work at any range we can see. Much brighter than irons, no batteries to die, no windshield glass to break, no brightness knob to to fiddle with, no forgetting to turn it on when under stress and with all those advantages over electronics, its still a simple point and shoot with both eyes open. But, most important....GoodWife likes it and we are a zero check and a weapon light away from having this one licked (but I might get her higher rings so she ain't looking so scrunched up cause I been married long enough to see it....she's a bit scrunched and I know its comin......"Hey, I feel scrunched shooting this"......best for me just to avoid the entire scrunched thing.....walmart tomorrow....no scrunch rings are behind the counter I think.)

LtRLaWN.jpg

vRDf4Jo.jpg

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Oh yeah, and the Vortex scope?

Heavy/solid. Clear, real clear and bright. I think I might just have to try several other Vortex products. Did I mention its clear? Very nice and not a lotta money and a good warranty too.

Mebby need to go with a 2x7 vortex scout scope for Dads Garand.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Final impressions.....about 500 rounds of various reloads and factory ammo sent down range....

Well. I can't find anything to complain about. Took it out. Put 150 of my crappy 147g reloads through it. It never hicchuped or barfed or fell on its face or anything. 5 shots had it dead on at 15 yards and 1/4" high at 25 yards with a good center.

Off hand and off the bench it gets down right dull to work your way left and right and back again hitting the steel spinners and swingers each and every time....cross hair anywhere on the steel, press, bang/ding and do it again. Its easier to use than I have any right to expect for a $350 out the door carbine.

One in the chamber and 10 up in the mag works fantastic making this Carbine a reliable 11 shooter. So, it can be loaded one up at all times and the full mag will not slow the bolt causing an extraction or feed failure. Its more reliable in use than I have any right to expect for a $350 out the door carbine.

It doesn't look anything like the early planet of the apes carbine they used to make. Its prettier than I have any right to expect for a $350 out the door carbine.

The iron sights were fine. I prefer the scope but could be totally happy with the irons if I couldn't afford glass. Factory features are more useful than I have any right to expect for a $350 out the door carbine.

It puts all my crappy handloads in nice tight 1.5"ish groups at 25 yards. All the time. Every bullet weight. Every profile. Every different velocity. Its more consistent than I have any right to expect for a $350 out the door carbine.

Its easy to repetedly ring a 10" steel at 100 yards by holding high on the gong. Bang/ring over and over from the bench. It should be just fine on a farm for routing coyotes at 75 yards or so. Its more accurate at longer ranges than I have any right to expect for a $350 out the door carbine.

I havn't cleaned it yet. Loaded and shot just as it came from the factory. I havn't even lubed it yet. It shucks shells better and faster than a bazillion dollar combine craps hay bails. Its a lot better gun than I have a right to expect for a $350 out the door carbine.

Yep. I'd buy another HiPoint 995 carbine any day. I can't imagine buying a CZ Scorp or Beretta Storm when the HiPoint runs so well. We'll see how it wears. I suspect well and I predict it'll see a ton of practice and continue in its role as house gun.