Hank Cherry’s take on forward facing sonar

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
i didnt even know MLF had a derby happening last week. Too much turkey on the brain.
So maybe I could get yall to get me caught up- How did Gill catch his fish? Did he just fish or use the FFS somehow in those conditions. I watched the highlight and it showed him catching a dock fish.

As for determining who the real fishermen are. Those conditions were tailor made for anybody to catch them. I m not sure that in today's enviroment the real fishermen arent those who dont have to have flooded bushes to win. I know I wish I could do what they do with FFS. A trained monkey can wind a chatterbait.

One more observation- Do you think these pros ever watch any of the shows?
If they do why in the world do they all say the same thing on hook-up (It's a giant) and upon landing one (Let's Go).
Someone please create some original dialogue for these cats. :)
And please tell MLF that that every fish counts stuff does not create competitive tourneys.
Back to the turkeys I go. LOL
From what I saw he was fishing docks and cover. The lake rising 4 feet overnight does not equal "everybody catching them" Those are tough conditions but can be fun if you figure out exactly what cover they go to. Most did not figure that out. And the FFS did not play a big role because the ding queens did not make championship round......what a tragedy. When that's all you know how to do you are going to struggle.

The dialogue in professional fishing has reached a new level of queer. Started with the ding queens. If these younger guys only knew how gay they sounded I would like to think they would stop.

As for trained monkeys.......sure anyone cant wind something around.......but it becomes a lot harder for this generation of fishermen to catch fish they can't see.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Lake murray is tough this go around. That place has gotten absolutely beaten to death. But it is fun to watch all this schooling and herring spawn action when it does happen.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Lake murray is tough this go around. That place has gotten absolutely beaten to death. But it is fun to watch all this schooling and herring spawn action when it does happen.
those weights and top water action look pretty good. I do see the crash and burn of some early hopefuls. Milliken Cherry, etc,
I would like to land there for a few hrs in the AM every day this coming week and play with those early fish.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
those weights and top water action look pretty good. I do see the crash and burn of some early hopefuls. Milliken Cherry, etc,
I would like to land there for a few hrs in the AM every day this coming week and play with those early fish.
Give me all the Ben Milliken tears. I just wish Trey McKinney could go down in flames with him. It’s like you said the other day, these young guys desperately need a new dialogue. I have enjoyed watching him catch them on the riser bait and the fluke
But man does he talk like a queer.

Last edited:

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
anyone got any Rapala Jowlers? Seems they are in demand after The BASS at Murray.
I’m trying to figure out what you’re referring to? The jackal riser baits will be on high demand. I have been smashing those clear water fish on that thing for years and no one really knew about it…….until this past weekend.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I’m trying to figure out what you’re referring to? The jackal riser baits will be on high demand. I have been smashing those clear water fish on that thing for years and no one really knew about it…….until this past weekend.
nope rapala is on the scene. Winner was using it. Pete Robbins mentions it in his daily Tourney article for BASS.
I guess when the top ten baits review comes in we will finally see one.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
nope rapala is on the scene. Winner was using it. Pete Robbins mentions it in his daily Tourney article for BASS.
I guess when the top ten baits review comes in we will finally see one.
Oh you’re talking about the bait that hasn’t been released. I heard a little about it but didn’t ever hear what it was called

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Here's a pic of the Jowler- go to the winner's baits. I see Strike King has a jackall type bait in the works.

The strike king bait is just a rip off of jack all. That’s all these companies do these days is rip off of someone else. If it works well at least the price will be better than the riser. I’m assuming the jowler is a walking bait. Has an open mouth on the front looks like

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
The ding queens can’t compete if they can’t use the jig head minner on a flat screen! While the fishing on the Kissimmee chain is horrific compared to years ago this one is watchable!

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Sure doesnt make me want to take a late spring trip down to fish there - that's for sure.
I agree but the last couple times I went this seemed to be the best time to go. Florida used to be such a cool place to go fish. Last time I went I knew I was never going back. Only way I’d go back is to go to the Everglades with my tin boat and explore.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Had this conversation yesterday with a gentleman I highly respect. He told me he was going to get together with me in the coming months/year and show me his spots, so hopefully I could put them to good use competitively. He was bowing out of anything other than benefit tournaments and fishing one day a week in retirement, wherever he pleased, didn’t need to keep his brush piles as hush hush, and since he likes me, he’d show me.

This gentleman has fished competitively for 20-25 years but has now said he’s seen the writing on the wall to know he’s no longer a contender each week.

He sure whooped me and most of the rest of the field on Badin last year. He’s still got some of it!

“J”

Twelve Pointer
Had this conversation yesterday with a gentleman I highly respect. He told me he was going to get together with me in the coming months/year and show me his spots, so hopefully I could put them to good use competitively. He was bowing out of anything other than benefit tournaments and fishing one day a week in retirement, wherever he pleased, didn’t need to keep his brush piles as hush hush, and since he likes me, he’d show me.

This gentleman has fished competitively for 20-25 years but has now said he’s seen the writing on the wall to know he’s no longer a contender each week.

He sure whooped me and most of the rest of the field on Badin last year. He’s still got some of it!
We all have a shelf life in things we do, whether it’s age, technology, or a combination of both. There’s a point where it doesn’t seem to be fun anymore…..
I woke up early and couldn’t fall back to sleep, let the dog out and decided to head to Norman. Got there around 6:30 and fished until noon. Came home put everything away and plugged in the boat. Came into the house, sat down and talked to the wife. At that point i realized, man I’m sore 😂😂😂

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
We all have a shelf life in things we do, whether it’s age, technology, or a combination of both. There’s a point where it doesn’t seem to be fun anymore…..
I woke up early and couldn’t fall back to sleep, let the dog out and decided to head to Norman. Got there around 6:30 and fished until noon. Came home put everything away and plugged in the boat. Came into the house, sat down and talked to the wife. At that point i realized, man I’m sore 😂😂😂
I hope my shelf life lasts a long time. Before I got married and had the little guy and lived 45 minutes from Norman I would fish it 4 days a week this time of the year and would fish from 6am one morning until 6am the next morning a lot of the time. Then go home and sleep and work my 12 hour shift that night the. Do it all over again the next off day. And I am still more than capable of doing it now. I miss those days sometimes

Last edited:

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
^^^ I used to do similar but different lakes. Lots of water under my bridge as bad as I hate it. I find myself just not being nearly as mad at them as I once was. Time changes everything

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I hope my shelf life lasts a long time. Before I got married and had the little guy and lived 45 minutes from Norman I would fish it 4 days a week this time of the year and would fish from 6am one morning until 6am the next morning a lot of the time. Then go home and sleep and work my 12 hour shift that night the. Do it all over again the next off day. And I am still more than capable of doing it now. I miss those days sometimes
I was thinking along these lines this morning. Friday I woke up at 5, worked, came home and took the canoe on its maiden voyage and fished till 8. Came home and woke up at 5 Saturday and Sunday for work. Stayed up late cooking and entertaining SIL and my nephew. Monday woke up, did a buncha prep work to rig gear and get the boat setup for our 4 man crew. Fished a good part of the day in the sun. I did the master baiting, taking fish off hooks, killing fish, navigating, and reading water for good areas. Came home and cooked for everyone that night. Tuesday woke up, got everything straightened up and organized for a couple hours of pier fishing. Came home, ate lunch, then a repeat with the canoe. Stayed up late frying fish and telling tall tales with them. Woke up for work at 5 and caught myself being irritated. Then I was like damn…what an opportunity to have and enjoy. There is a unique satisfaction being totally ragged out and exhausted from doing what you love. And my wife is my biggest co conspirator. And she can read me like a book. Once the pressure cooker valve gets to dangerous proportions, she will suggest we go fish. Life is good.

But don’t miss your solo days too much…you’ve had that boy of yours outdoors/fishing in the past 6 months than some folks have done since I joined here 😂

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I fished Jordan 92 days one yr right after it was impounded. No use in talking about the fishing because if you weren’t there you can’t understand.
It’s a shame there aren’t any new reservoirs around now or I could really get some fishing done.
To those of you with long histories with Norman I salute you. If you can enjoy the sport there you can thrive anywhere.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I was thinking along these lines this morning. Friday I woke up at 5, worked, came home and took the canoe on its maiden voyage and fished till 8. Came home and woke up at 5 Saturday and Sunday for work. Stayed up late cooking and entertaining SIL and my nephew. Monday woke up, did a buncha prep work to rig gear and get the boat setup for our 4 man crew. Fished a good part of the day in the sun. I did the master baiting, taking fish off hooks, killing fish, navigating, and reading water for good areas. Came home and cooked for everyone that night. Tuesday woke up, got everything straightened up and organized for a couple hours of pier fishing. Came home, ate lunch, then a repeat with the canoe. Stayed up late frying fish and telling tall tales with them. Woke up for work at 5 and caught myself being irritated. Then I was like damn…what an opportunity to have and enjoy. There is a unique satisfaction being totally ragged out and exhausted from doing what you love. And my wife is my biggest co conspirator. And she can read me like a book. Once the pressure cooker valve gets to dangerous proportions, she will suggest we go fish. Life is good.

But don’t miss your solo days too much…you’ve had that boy of yours outdoors/fishing in the past 6 months than some folks have done since I joined here 😂
Oh I wouldn’t trade my boy for anything. He would go every single day if I did t have to work. There is not a day that passes that he doesn’t ask me if we are going fishing on the boat. The carefree life was fun though when I could work 3 days and fish 4 days if I wanted. It was a fun time.

I fished Jordan 92 days one yr right after it was impounded. No use in talking about the fishing because if you weren’t there you can’t understand.
It’s a shame there aren’t any new reservoirs around now or I could really get some fishing done.
To those of you with long histories with Norman I salute you. If you can enjoy the sport there you can thrive anywhere.
Norman is a triple digit day waiting to happen 365 days out of the year if you figure it out and enjoy spotted bass. And I’m with you on how fun new lakes are. I got to see Harris and mattamuskeet in their hay day and randleman and Mackintosh in their newness. Both were insane……if you didn’t catch 100-150 fish a day then you didn’t have a hook in the water. Norman and a couple other lakes which I won’t name are the only places where that is attainable on public water these days.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Oh I wouldn’t trade my boy for anything. He would go every single day if I did t have to work. There is not a day that passes that he doesn’t ask me if we are going fishing on the boat. The carefree life was fun though when I could work 3 days and fish 4 days if I wanted. It was a fun time.

Norman is a triple digit day waiting to happen 365 days out of the year if you figure it out and enjoy spotted bass. And I’m with you on how fun new lakes are. I got to see Harris and mattamuskeet in their hay day and randleman and Mackintosh in their newness. Both were insane……if you didn’t catch 100-150 fish a day then you didn’t have a hook in the water. Norman and a couple other lakes which I won’t name are the only places where that is attainable on public water these days.
I’ve never been a bass fisherman, but based on what monster you’re creating out of that kid (in a good way) , I don’t intend on becoming one 🤣