Hank Cherry’s take on forward facing sonar

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I'm going to throw one more name in that group. I think Andy Morgan would still be winning a lot if the technology went away. I think he in one of those guys very in tune with what is going on.
Andy Morgan is a dang hammer. I didn't name everyone. He still does well competing without livescope. One of the best fisherman ever in my opinion. He gave the livescopers a run for their money 2 years ago at lake st clair catching largemouth in the grass. That was so fun to watch, but instead they wanted to show michael neal(who I also like) live scoping for smallmouth which is about as boring as watching water evaporate.
Still remember Blaukat winning his first BASS event at Buggs by sinking his boat enough to get under the bridge at the back of Grassy creek. Doing so enabled him to have that area to himself. Late 80’s era
that is is one of the best old shows that i can remember. I have that on a vhs recording somewhere but I'm sure it's on youtube as well. That's what he is known best for.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
that is is one of the best old shows that i can remember. I have that on a vhs recording somewhere but I'm sure it's on youtube as well. That's what he is known best for.
I was there. Not fishing that tourney but used to fish a lot of regional stuff back then. Tried to stay up with what was happening at the time

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
andy, poche and Thrift are having a hard day today at Santee.
That place is only good for about 15 minutes every spring and if you're not there when it's on then you are SOL. A lot of people had a hard day. The weights are horrific especially for that format. They're not fishing for 5 but if they had been over half the field wouldn't even have a limit. It has a few big ones but that is one tough nut to crack.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
That place is only good for about 15 minutes every spring and if you're not there when it's on then you are SOL. A lot of people had a hard day. The weights are horrific especially for that format. They're not fishing for 5 but if they had been over half the field wouldn't even have a limit. It has a few big ones but that is one tough nut to crack.
I’ve fished it 3 times, and had 20+ lb bags every time. Seems pretty easy to me.

Course I was catfishing🤣

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone use FFS for saltwater? I figure it might be good for looking for trout around docks. Probably should have just started a thread in the saltwater forum.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone use FFS for saltwater? I figure it might be good for looking for trout around docks. Probably should have just started a thread in the saltwater forum.
Caught a bunch of trout and drum back in November when I went to the coast to bass fish. It was very effective in finding them. I didn’t see many of the bites because they were stuck down to the bottom, but there were several times that I would not have known they were there without FFS.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
It’s a whole lot of water for sure. I mainly focus on places I’ve found them when I go. Would take a month of solid fishing to learn that place lol.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
It’s a whole lot of water for sure. I mainly focus on places I’ve found them when I go. Would take a month of solid fishing to learn that place lol.
I don't think you could cover every square foot of those massive ponds in a life time. the scenery is pretty there. Fishing is either really great or horrendous, mostly the latter. I don't really have the desire to go back.

“J”

Twelve Pointer
I have one I like it a lot
If my motor guide ever gives up the ghost (pun intended) I’ll be looking for a lightly used one to replace it…. The nice thing about the newer ones is they’re not voltage specific. Hook them up and they run on either 24 or 36v. Well except for the ultrex from what I’ve seen.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
It was nauseating listening to the guys with 10-15lb yesterday crying about scoping, forgetting that at one point in time, the stuff they were using was state of the art and cutting edge. It’s also interesting at how for once, crappie guys, at least on the tourny side, are as a whole, much more adept with scoping than the bass guys. Usually the expertise of new tech rolls from bass to crappie but I think this one has gone the other way.

Stories of trolls usually reflect back to ancient times…..

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
If my motor guide ever gives up the ghost (pun intended) I’ll be looking for a lightly used one to replace it…. The nice thing about the newer ones is they’re not voltage specific. Hook them up and they run on either 24 or 36v. Well except for the ultrex from what I’ve seen.
I only have the 24v, has the option for 36v but I’m not one to put the trolling motor on 100 and fly around all day. I don’t fish that fast and it was overkill for me

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
It was nauseating listening to the guys with 10-15lb yesterday crying about scoping, forgetting that at one point in time, the stuff they were using was state of the art and cutting edge. It’s also interesting at how for once, crappie guys, at least on the tourny side, are as a whole, much more adept with scoping than the bass guys. Usually the expertise of new tech rolls from bass to crappie but I think this one has gone the other way.

Stories of trolls usually reflect back to ancient times…..
About as nauseating as it is to sit and watch someone sit 400 yards from shore making random casts at nothing all day. I enjoy doing it when it’s time to do that but watching it is just not enjoyable for most. But I agree. The guys complaining need to get in gear or find something else to do. In reality lost of them need to find something else to do because pro bass fishing is not very prosperous for 90% of the anglers.

“J”

Twelve Pointer
I only have the 24v, has the option for 36v but I’m not one to put the trolling motor on 100 and fly around all day. I don’t fish that fast and it was overkill for me
Yep, slow and steady wins the race. I love seeing people power fishing and then go behind them and catch what they’ve missed 😂

“J”

Twelve Pointer
When 9/10 rookies who using FFS make the top 50 in a tournament, that’s more than something to look at and say hmmmm.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
When 9/10 rookies who using FFS make the top 50 in a tournament, that’s more than something to look at and say hmmmm.
It’s time to get with the times is what it is. Everything moves forward.

I’ve got 36v 105lb now and am glad of it. Rarely use it to its full potential but no doubt having the speed and ability to cover water in a fast manner has upped my game.

I’m not a bass guy but Hank Cherry and VanDam have proven power fishing is a worth while venture.

That said, with FFS the necessity is from covering water and laying eyes on as many fish as possible. That translates from crappie fishing and bass fishing. Same thing. Looking at the most fish presents the most opportunities, and the more opportunities the more odds you’ll look at the 5 best or better fish than the rest of the field.