Handmade knife examples. <—updated progress pics

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I make a few during the year and I have found that roughly 56/58 R is about as hard as the average person can sharpen. Anything past that and it stays dull, and a dull knife is the most dangerous thing you can use...

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Sounds about right for an average. I can get rc60 a2 or o-1 to sharpen like rc57-58 440c. A whole bunch of different factors come into play. Though mainly carbide size and type then heat treatment.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
It’s alive…. Let’s heat treat some today. Got 5 n690 blades to do today and it’ll take 8-10 hours. Half of that is really just baby sitting a furnace though. These are all wrapped up and ready to austenitize.
0D323337-F4FB-4337-A84A-358B24F92325.jpeg

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I don't do my heat treating or tempering, I send it to someone much more qualified than I am, plus I don't really have the room to dedicate to the process. I also don't do anything "cosmetic", just plain jane and functional.....

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Assuming I can find some stag scales, most of my knives run about $100-125 on average. I have a catch for making knives to order however. I don’t do deadlines. My job takes me out of town frequently and for undetermined amounts of time. It could be two months, it could be next January. For those patient enough to wait I offer better deals. I make most of my knives in the winter and a couple in the summer. Otherwise I’m in the woods or on the water.
Very reasonable price- real nice looking work. I used to make some knives and enjoyed it a lot. To stay with it 10 years makes me think you are loving it.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Heat treat and metallurgy is what makes me do it. The rest is just noise for me. I’m with ya on functional knives over showy ones. Though occasionally I’ve been known to polish one out.

@Bailey Boat if you ever need one heat treated you can always toss it my way. AND if you ever want just a heat treated blank let me know.

Let’s see what we got…6C9BA446-482D-4546-85D4-0ABAFFEB1FC3.jpegimage.jpg

richard corn

Ten Pointer
The better the edge holding properties the more wear resistant the steel is. Since sharpening is just wearing the steel, the short answer is no.

However, there are steels that are better compromises. You should look at a well heatreated knife in a “non-stainless” steel (personal fav A2). Some compromises can be found in AEB-l and some of the powdered metallurgical stainless steels. Though due to higher toughness, the powdered steel is usually heatreated to a higher hardness and thus negating the ease of sharpening.

Follow my ramblings?
Yes and thanks for the reply. Looking for edc folder with 3-4 inch blade. Any inventory there? Sorry to hold you up on messaging when you could be making knives. Let me know and again my thanks. They all look amazing

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I haven’t got any folders in the mix right now. I could make one for ya but it would be a year minimum. You’ll likely want one before then… and you’re no bother.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Ground until I went cross eyed and my tremor wouldn’t let me continue. I’ve been trying to remember to take some progress stuff. After hardness testing I put primary bevels on a TON of blades today. Since I’ve previously posted some of @ScottyB s knives, I’ll continue to follow them as I can. The other longer blade is for myself, what that means I’ll likely sell it too so make an offer lol. Looks like I’m on track to have a whole slew of em done and sold or selling this winter. If I got a message from you for a “request” I’ll be hitting you up as they finish. Any way the goods….17C2E86F-4AF1-4700-A842-A3F0CA28C6D4.jpeg

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Thank you. Wife went out of town (only reason I can grind during the week). I wore a respirator and could still pick my nose with a magnet. It was a lot of blades! Got full day of grinding tomorrow too. And that is only setting the primary bevels and at 36 grit. Got two double shoulders of leather in also 8-10 ounce. I hate sewing leather….

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
That is nice work. If you decide to part with the bigger blade. Let me know.
Already decided. Everything I make is for sale lol. I usually keep the junk (seconds). But that being said I have more of that pattern made and heat treated also. I have two of those that aren’t spoken for. The second has a different fastener layout but otherwise the same. I’ll be grinding it tomorrow. So…hollow or flat?

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
they aint but 3 pieces in that picture, you better have a lot more sitting some where that you didn't photograph :)

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I do! I do! They are scattered all over right now. In different stages. Grinding the steel is the exciting part so that’s usually what I show. Gluing is super boring. Got some crazier stuff in the mix too check out this hog hunter and mini cleaver.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 34

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
While you’re at it gimme some feedback on this “bait blade” shape. Simple straightforward but shaped to keep your hand off the table and doubles as a rope cutter for when things get hairy. I’ll serrate part of it. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 49

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
While you’re at it gimme some feedback on this “bait blade” shape. Simple straightforward but shaped to keep your hand off the table and doubles as a rope cutter for when things get hairy. I’ll serrate part of it. Thoughts?
knock some of that angle off the top to make it flow a little better towards the point

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
So drop point instead of clip? I figured clip because it has a straight spine, interesting. I dreamt this one up for cutting large chunks of bait. It’s based off a “chicken separating” knife I made for a lady. Since I cooked it up just to try, it’s also up for grabs just FYI.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I do not. Closest thing I have is a willow leaf blade O-1 that’s really not that close at all. At a stretch I’d say “inspired by” kephart. Still a stretch.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
This one for sale?

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So drop point instead of clip? I figured clip because it has a straight spine, interesting. I dreamt this one up for cutting large chunks of bait. It’s based off a “chicken separating” knife I made for a lady. Since I cooked it up just to try, it’s also up for grabs just FYI.
looking at it today, it looks better. need to see it with some wood on it