Handheld vhf radio

fdtrucky

Six Pointer
I need advice on a handheld vhf marine radio. Going to be used for hunting and fishing. Only need 2 way communication with other folks not gps. Would like 6 watt option and good battery life. Advice or suggestions appreciated thanks.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I need advice on a handheld vhf marine radio. Going to be used for hunting and fishing. Only need 2 way communication with other folks not gps. Would like 6 watt option and good battery life. Advice or suggestions appreciated thanks.
Looking the same info on insite for a handheld. Dont want a hard mount for my boat so have been looking into a handheld. ..

Was thinking land use was not legal. Is that still the same case?

Clark

Ten Pointer
We use handheld VHFs between the layout and tender boats. Works great, I can often see an approaching flock before the layout. If we have the layout within a few hundred yards of shore I usually hide the tender there. Also carry a handhelf as a backup for the fixed mount radios.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
We use handheld VHFs between the layout and tender boats. Works great, I can often see an approaching flock before the layout. If we have the layout within a few hundred yards of shore I usually hide the tender there. Also carry a handhelf as a backup for the fixed mount radios.
Type, brand or wattage?

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We been using baofeng for years. Been usin 5 watt. Just bought 8 watt. Very pleased especially for price range.

Range varies based on terrain.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Uniden Atlantis 250 1 or 5 watts. that is the one I use. water proof as well....

Bought two of these this year. Sent them back. Did not see enough difference to pay price. But if boating waterproof would be nice

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Looking the same info on insite for a handheld. Dont want a hard mount for my boat so have been looking into a handheld. ..

Water to Land.........ok

Water to water.......ok

land to water..........ok

Land to land.................NO. .......................lots of people do it especially bear hunters but land to land is not allowed.

so, one user has to be on the water.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Bought two of these this year. Sent them back. Did not see enough difference to pay price. But if boating waterproof would be nice

Technically one user has to be on the water for marine radio.

is it enforced??? no but a big fine if they want to get you.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor

According to FCC they can only be used ship to shore (bridge, marina, dockmaster, etc...) communications or ship to ship and not two land based uses. That being said I have seen several dog hunting clubs that had them in ATVs and trucks in ENC. Quite illegal but nonetheless more effective than CB due to amount of traffic.
As for the question I have had mostly Standard horizon fixed and portable units and have always had great service from them. I wont let $40-50 determine my piece of mind and some of the lower priced units say they are waterproof but pick one up from 3 inches of 38 degree water in a January duck hunt and I want the best I can get.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
According to FCC they can only be used ship to shore (bridge, marina, dockmaster, etc...) communications or ship to ship and not two land based uses. That being said I have seen several dog hunting clubs that had them in ATVs and trucks in ENC. Quite illegal but nonetheless more effective than CB due to amount of traffic.
As for the question I have had mostly Standard horizon fixed and portable units and have always had great service from them. I wont let $40-50 determine my piece of mind and some of the lower priced units say they are waterproof but pick one up from 3 inches of 38 degree water in a January duck hunt and I want the best I can get.

If you go to the Mountains all the bear clubs use them. Lots down east too.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Type, brand or wattage?
The ones for layout boat use are low end Standard Horizon, max required range is about 500 yards so never paid attention to wattage but I've used them over a few miles and they were fine. They are waterproof and float, which are useful traits in this application.

The backup handheld is on the fishing boat, and is also SH but is a higher quality unit. Tried it at Cedar Island last week to bump the Sea Tow auto response at Morehead (about 25 miles) but did not get a hit.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Type, brand or wattage?
The one I referred to hand held is a 6 w horizon hx870 which is ipx8waterproof and has a gps built in. Research ipx 6,7,8 to see which one has the water “resistantance” you need . I wanted a gps vhf combo in case of a catastrophic battery event on my boat. I think I paid $150 on sale for mine and the non gps version was about 90 iirc. Suffice it to say I have thoroughly tested the waterproof ness of a couple and u want the ipx 8 if you have a tendancy to dunk things like me.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I have a uniden that I bought from cabelas 5 or 6 years ago for $69 that's been great. Icom makes an awesome handheld that's about the size of a small smart phone. Think they are in the $140 range. I use the uniden quite a bit, my only complaint is the battery life when it's cold.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I have 2 Standard Horizon units, both waterproof, 3 to 5 watt switchable and both are great. One is a HX370S and the other is a HX350S. Can't go wrong with SH units....

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Technically one user has to be on the water for marine radio.

is it enforced??? no but a big fine if they want to get you.
Few friends are into ham and say there are groups on there that track and report it.
Kind like they say they pay the piper so should you.
They are not worried or care but others like the twins on here have life goals to go after.....
He was telling me to get a ham. Use it ffor SHTF of emergency only and dont worry.
It has the same as the VHF Marine just lots more and more $$$

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Few friends are into ham and say there are groups on there that track and report it.
Kind like they say they pay the piper so should you.
They are not worried or care but others like the twins on here have life goals to go after.....
He was telling me to get a ham. Use it ffor SHTF of emergency only and dont worry.
It has the same as the VHF Marine just lots more and more $$$

Ham operators are notorious for reporting illegal activity on anything 2 way.......would not surprise me at all to see some club getting some big fines one day. Probably wont happen but it may.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
With the HAM, you have to know the actual frequencies for each marine channel to use it. They don't have channels like a Marine VHF.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ham operators are notorious for reporting illegal activity on anything 2 way.......would not surprise me at all to see some club getting some big fines one day. Probably wont happen but it may.

Maybe. I can’t imagine the FCC having the time or resources to devote to that.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
With the HAM, you have to know the actual frequencies for each marine channel to use it. They don't have channels like a Marine VHF.

Once programmed you can select the Marine channels without entering the frequency, provided you program it correctly.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe. I can’t imagine the FCC having the time or resources to devote to that.

They dont have the time or resources but one day someone is going to interfere with something legit and they are going to make an example of someone.. They dont mess with CB guys with amps either but one NC guy got busted a few years back .....rarely happens but it can.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I have good luck with icom and Uniden. We use them for layout to tender as well as a backup to hard mount for fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk