Handgun Competency (The Wizard Drill)

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm a gun-nut of the first order, so I enjoy the "hardware" discussions as much as anyone. But the truth is, hardware rarely determines the outcome in a disproportionate number of cases.

While there are a number of metrics out there designed to determine competency with any given firearm, I kinda like this one as a baseline test. It only requires a few rounds, one target and a short range.

If you carry a gun concealed, give it a shot and be honest with yourself about the results when the smoke clears. It will tell you pretty quickly if your gun really is a tool of self-defense or simply a rabbits foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9htTMmCYk44

ETA: If you don't own a "Shot Timer", there are a host of apps out there for your smartphone.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
What happened to "center of mass"?:D

Seems like a good drill. I always like testing myself with firearms.

Last edited:

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
What happened to "center of mass"?:D

Seems like a good drill. I always like testing myself with firearms.

Center of mass is only an accuracy standard when it's "real" and you and/or the target are moving in dynamic and fairly unpredictable ways. But, you can't perform at that level if you can't hit a relatively small, static target in the bright light of a training or practice setting.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
41magfan, all the advice I have been told by those that have CC classes say "center of mass" for legal reasons.;)

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
In our legal system you would not want to say you meant to kill someone. When defending yourself, if you aim "center of mass" and hit them in the head that's OK. In other words, if you were on trial for killing someone and you were claiming self-defense you would not want to say you aimed for the head. That would insinuate you meant to kill, instead of just defending yourself. Always state you aimed center of mass, can't help where the bullets impact.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Shooting a row of 8" falling plates at the same distances and times of the wizard drill is another good training aid. You get instant feedback on good hits.

<>< Fish

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Center of mass is only an accuracy standard when it's "real" and you and/or the target are moving in dynamic and fairly unpredictable ways. But, you can't perform at that level if you can't hit a relatively small, static target in the bright light of a training or practice setting.

Practice like you play. That's the same justification for using your carry weapon, using the ammo you typically would, drawing from the position you normally carry. What sense does doing all that make if you're going to completely change your strategy? Sure, in a training scenario, you should be capable of making the headshot. But in real life, you're going to fall back on your training, and statistics confirm that in an actual encounter, the vast majority of people will not maintain the accuracy level to make head shots.

This is a good drill for someone with extensive training. IMO, it's not designed for the average CC'er, who probably shoots 4-5 times a year.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just a couple of observations:

If you own a gun for personal protection, I would suggest you take it upon yourself to get competent instruction in the who, what, when where, how and why of using deadly force. The concealed carry classes offered in the various states prepare you for using deadly force about as well as a Driver's Ed course prepares you to compete in the Daytona 500.

And along those lines; Becoming an NRA or CCH Instructor is easier than getting a motorcycle endorsement on your Drivers License, so if that's all you've experienced, you really haven't had anything meaningful in the way of training.

Currently, one of THE BEST sources for that information is here: https://lawofselfdefense.com/

At a minimum, get the book and study it until you understand it completely. You can sign-up for Branca's free podcast and get information for seminars when he comes to NC.

Secondly, get some competent instruction in how to use your hardware. Good training isn't cheap nor is it often convenient. Like anything else in life, you get out what you put in.

The simple drill that I posted here IS NOT an advanced drill - it's a baseline competency drill. If you only shoot 4 or 5 times a year without developing some skill first, you have nothing to fall back on because that ain't "training" and it barely qualifies as "practice".

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Shooting a row of 8" falling plates at the same distances and times of the wizard drill is another good training aid. You get instant feedback on good hits.

<>< Fish

Absolutely! When used properly, metal targets are one of the best training tools ever devised. We can thank the Bianchi Cup Match for that.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Good advise 41. People will take it as they will. I understand and agree with your points completely.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
thanks for posting that drill 41mag,,,

a good drill for someone with extensive training. IMO, it's not designed for the average CC'er, who probably shoots 4-5 times a year.

and that's why my concealed carry class isn't the "8 hours to a concealed carry permit" variety,,,,,,,,I can not ethically certify someone who does NOT have the appropriate skills with their firearm,,,,,

pisses some off, but I don't care - there is more to carrying concealed than knowing the state laws,,,,

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
and that's why my concealed carry class isn't the "8 hours to a concealed carry permit" variety,,,,,,,,I can not ethically certify someone who does NOT have the appropriate skills with their firearm,,,,,

pisses some off, but I don't care - there is more to carrying concealed than knowing the state laws,,,,

I agree completely. I think if you're going to walk around with a loaded weapon, you should be very comfortable and quite proficient with it. Unfortunately, that's just not the case a lot of the time.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Speaking of handgun competency, I have a close friend that took the class years ago with my Buckmark .22, passed the test and got his CCW. A couple of months later he purchased his first handgun, a Bersa .380. He has carried the gun almost daily since then in his vehicle or on him. The hitch in all of this is that he has never fired the pistol, never! He has shot another friend's Bersa but his remains unfired. No surprise also he owns an AR15 for home defense that has never been fired. I've tried my best to get him to go shooting at my home or our range in Troy but no luck. I really hope his life never depends on his practice and proficiency.

<>< Fish

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Speaking of handgun competency, I have a close friend that took the class years ago with my Buckmark .22, passed the test and got his CCW. A couple of months later he purchased his first handgun, a Bersa .380. He has carried the gun almost daily since then in his vehicle or on him. The hitch in all of this is that he has never fired the pistol, never! He has shot another friend's Bersa but his remains unfired. No surprise also he owns an AR15 for home defense that has never been fired. I've tried my best to get him to go shooting at my home or our range in Troy but no luck. I really hope his life never depends on his practice and proficiency.

<>< Fish

Regrettably, that practice is NOT an aberration - it's as common as dirt.

One of the reasons many gun manufacturers started turning out junk in recent times is due to that very phenomenon. The gun industry did a quiet market study some years ago and determined that a disproportionate number of buyers shoot their guns very little - if any. That's what prompted them to start spending less time on QC, resulting in less than stellar products being dumped on the consumer. It's cheaper to fix the ones that do get shot and returned under warranty than it is to make a reliable product from the get-go.

The take-away from that reality is that you're a beta tester on some level regardless of what you buy. As a consumer that pisses me off, but it is what it is. On a large scale (several hundred guns) the ONLY gun that has never failed me right out of the box (knock on wood) are Glocks.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, a lot of people would be better off with a rabbit's foot. At least a rabbit's foot can't be used against you or some other innocent person when it's stolen from your car or truck.

Last edited:

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I did the drill the other day when we were shooting some. It’s definitely not as easy as it appears... I need to work on my “quick draw from the pocket”. Thanks for posting this up.

Sent from my wherever I was at the time...

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I need to run it again myself as it's been a while. Here's the first three runs I made at it with my LCP.

Start position was hand on the gun in my front pocket.

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I need to run it again myself as it's been a while. Here's the first three runs I made at it with my LCP.

Start position was hand on the gun in my front pocket.

Target looks pretty good to me. Do you have a “sticky/paddle holster” or just carry your LCP without the pistol in a holster?

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Target looks pretty good to me. Do you have a “sticky/paddle holster” or just carry your LCP without the pistol in a holster?

I always use a pocket holster of some kind as carrying w/o one invites problems.

Currently, I'm using this Galco Front Pocket Horsehide rig. To give the holster some traction and not come out with the pistol when it's drawn, I attached a piece of Pachmayr rubber "skin" to the outside.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/front-pocket-horsehide-holster_8_1168_1122.html

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I always use a pocket holster of some kind as carrying w/o one invites problems.

Currently, I'm using this Galco Front Pocket Horsehide rig. To give the holster some traction and not come out with the pistol when it's drawn, I attached a piece of Pachmayr rubber "skin" to the outside.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/front-pocket-horsehide-holster_8_1168_1122.html

Thanks for the link, I need to upgrade to one like you posted. Mine doesn’t want to stay in place when I remove the pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the link, I need to upgrade to one like you posted. Mine doesn&#8217;t want to stay in place when I remove the pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a DeSantis Nemesis for a long time and it works pretty darn well for less than $20. It tends to stay in the pocket pretty well on the draw but sometimes it didn't hold the gun well enough with the style pants I wear which have generous sized pockets. I would occasionally find the gun (not the holster) trying to slip out of my pocket when I reclined on certain furniture.

If you need a piece of Pachmayr rubber skin, drop me a PM with your address and I'll send you a piece of it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016599999/desantis-nemesis-holster

Last edited:

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
What happened to "center of mass"?

What if your center of mass hits do not stop the threat? Will you be able to make a difficult shot with your remaining rounds? The head and pelvis are two areas that will break a bad guy down quick if torso hits are ineffective.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
As I've mentioned in previous posts, COM is often the best you can do and directing your shots there has absolutely nothing to do with a legal strategy, it's simply a practical matter born out of necessity.

In real life, the "target" isn't going to give you any meaningful visual or audible feedback like every target does on the range, so making the decision to abandon COM and attempt a hit on a smaller target area should be done with some serious consideration. Your COM hits may not be having any effect because you're simply not getting good hits, so to abandon the easier thing for a harder thing isn't wise if the easier thing ain't working.

But having said that, making low percentage head-shots on demand is doable on some level IF you practice it a lot. I've paid my dues learning how to shoot so I dedicate about 1/3 to 1/2 of my shooting time/rounds practicing on the more difficult applications like head-shots, distance shooting and one-hand only stuff.

That "break 'em down with pelvis hits" sounds good in theory but it hasn't worked out in real-life too often with pistol rounds but it's nonetheless a viable target should you encounter someone wearing body armor at a distance at which you can't make head-shots.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
I couldn't find the sarcasm emoji. Yes, your thread context is pistols and I was referring to rifles regarding the pelvis. My point is still valid (because it's the same as yours).

"Will you be able to make a difficult shot with your remaining rounds?" Taken in either context you should practice to be proficient in hitting a small, difficult target under duress.

Like you said, "you can't perform at that level if you can't hit a relatively small, static target in the bright light of a training or practice setting."

Unless I'm missing something we are on the same page. Feel free to correct me if my comprehension isn't working today. I'm not trying to rain on your parade.

hharke

Button Buck
Contributor
Looks like good drill, as all of his are. Key is practice and strive for smooth and accuracy. Speed will come.