Halifax county

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Can someone explain to me what has been going on in regards to dog hunting in Halifax county.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Hadn't heard that....I will have to ask around.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I don't think it has passed yet, they are going to have one more public meeting about it. If you dog hunt in that area, be there and support the sport. There is a facebook group formed as well to keep everyone informed.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
One of the county commisioners is kin to my wife, I'll have to hit em up and see whats going on.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have mixed thoughts about minimum acreage. I don't like the idea in general. There are situations where hounds can be used on small tracts without incidence. Then there are those that abuse the current laws and have small scattered blocks and do not respect their neighbors. This type of regulations is what is going to come from this behavior. I hate to say it, but I think such a minimum acreage law would help in these cases. I also do note believe a land owner should be restricted by minimum acreage. I honestly believe minimum acreage laws are coming, if the rogues don't stop.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I believe it doesn't matter what laws are passed, the one who do it wrong will continue to do so.
Just like everything else, a few bad ones will ruin it for the good ones.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I agree, laws don't work on criminals. It ultimately hurts the honest person. I don't know where this is going or if it has left the county level. Still getting conflicting information .

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Still has to be passed by the NCGA right?

Interesting the minimum acreage provision applies to running bears, coyotes and foxes not just deer.

And the Apr 1-July 31 provision applies to all dogs, not just dogs chasing deer.

Whoever wrote this, wrote it in a way to prevent folks from claiming they are running other species, not deer.

Last edited:

Trappertod

Six Pointer
Yeah I'm not in favor of the proposed rules, we hunt smaller tracks and our dogs are kept in the block. Our guys all use GPS collars. But a few outlaws will make it bad for all those who try to hunt right. The other rules they are proposing are already on the books as it is. It's going to be interesting as this will lay the ground work for other counties.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Still has to be passed by the NCGA right?

Interesting the minimum acreage provision applies to running bears, coyotes and foxes not just deer.

And the Apr 1-July 31 provision applies to all dogs, not just dogs chasing deer.

Whoever wrote this, wrote it in a way to prevent folks from claiming they are running other species, not deer.

This is something we may have to live with in the future, years ago a certain paper company had the Apr 1 -July 31 provision in their leases I haven't looked at one of their leases in years but I think it has been taken out and it only pertained to deer. I do know they are going to put in their leases that to run deer with hounds you must have 1,000 acres and 800 acres to run bear,the club acreage can be a combination of private land and their land but in must be one continuous tract of land. They may not do it this year but it is going to happen.

Reactions: CRC

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
One club I hunted with had it in the lease not to run any hound from April 1- May 31. I don't know about now, the property was sold to another timber company.
Bad thing is if you can't run to keep the hounds in running condition through out the warmer months and then run them in August, it is a good way to kill a hound from heat stroke.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
If this does make it to the GA and comes for a vote, could other counties “piggyback” onto this by being added without going through a county ordinance first?

ncdeerhunterRC

Four Pointer
Sounds like a repeat of the Richmond County ordeal we went through several years ago and the end result was the Landowner Permission Act. It was an attempt of the NCWRC to get control of dog hunting rules/regulations. There was a group formed of dog hunters and landowners to work out the issues but the NCWRC railroaded it to a " Georgia deer dog hunting plan" which was a manner of regulating it out of practice for the honest, law abiding hunters. We (dog hunters) refused to support the plan but negotiated the Landowner Protection Act. Since it is currently an election year, the NCGA is in short session (even years) which means they usually don't take up controversial issues (their pressing concern is the election). I know the budget still has not been approved too. The County Commissioners in Richmond County attempted to slip their resolution through on us in 2010. It went to the NCGA but was killed because it was too controversial for a short session. Not saying that will happen this time.

Reactions: DRS

JDHowell

Ten Pointer
We are fighting like hell, it seems these meetings occurred well over a year ago with limited invitations at best. The commissioners posted a public notice in the classified section of the local newspaper,,,, who reads those anyways? Rep Wray is responsible for taking it to Raleigh when the begin the short session. My hope is we can defeat this before it makes it there. Outlaws will be outlaws and no rules or regulations will stop them. We have an enforcement issue, not a law issue.

ncdeerhunterRC

Four Pointer
I sent an email to Commissioner Manning, Jr. His response to me was accusatory that I must be part of the problem since I didn't agree with it. Very offensive. Said he wanted to stop trespassing on land that a person did not have permission to be on. Asked me for my suggestion for a solution. Said he looked forward to hearing my idea. I advised that they enforce the Landowner Protection Act. I asked some questions related to how they expect to police the new ordinance, especially due to the vagueness of the phrasing (i.e. .....allowed to run), why wasn't there any protection for the hunter with dogs included in the ordinance from being wrongly accused, etc. Of course, he quit responding to me. This was signed, sealed and delivered before it made it to the public notice.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I sent an email to Commissioner Manning, Jr. His response to me was accusatory that I must be part of the problem since I didn't agree with it. Very offensive. Said he wanted to stop trespassing on land that a person did not have permission to be on. Asked me for my suggestion for a solution. Said he looked forward to hearing my idea. I advised that they enforce the Landowner Protection Act. I asked some questions related to how they expect to police the new ordinance, especially due to the vagueness of the phrasing (i.e. .....allowed to run), why wasn't there any protection for the hunter with dogs included in the ordinance from being wrongly accused, etc. Of course, he quit responding to me. This was signed, sealed and delivered before it made it to the public notice.

North Carolina politics,,,,

or according to some,,,it must have been the Yankees!!

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone here go to the meeting, if so how did it go?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
My understanding is the resolution is still going to the legislature, even after enough people opposed attended the commissioner meeting that not all were allowed to enter the room. I'm willing to bet Halifax County will have a new commissioner or two when their seat comes up for election.