had to happen

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
(I may have told this story previously, so forgive me if I bore some)

our first Christmas together I bought her a vacuum cleaner and "accessory pack" cause she had been saying she needed one,,, we were living on a Staff Sergeant's pay in 1985 and it was a little tight,,, so there weren't nothing else,,,

shortly thereafter (like real shortly) she was sad/grumpy/ill about that - said it wasn't that I got her a vacuum, but that I didn't get her anything else (something sweet I reckon),,, me in my manly stupidity said "but I got ya the accessory pack",,, made her madder (go figure),,,

she still brings that up to this day when she needs it,,,,

learned a hard lesson that first Christmas,,,

Wowzer. You seem to be intelligent and well respected. Were you having a bad day when you came up with that idea or have you just come that far?

Some things you just dont do.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Wowzer. You seem to be intelligent and well respected. Were you having a bad day when you came up with that idea or have you just come that far?

Hey, it was my first year of marriage and it made sense (practical)

I must of learned, she’s stuck with my dumb arse for 37+ years of marriage so far 🤷‍♂️

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, anytime I hear, "Don't get me anything for Valentines Day." or "Just get me something practical for Christmas" or any nonsense like that, I say, "Put it in writing and have it notarized, and witnessed by a family member and one of your high school friends."

Because, by golly, if I'm going to hear about it for the next 25 years, I want the get out of jail free card....

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yeah, anytime I hear, "Don't get me anything for Valentines Day." or "Just get me something practical for Christmas" or any nonsense like that, I say, "Put it in writing and have it notarized, and witnessed by a family member and one of your high school friends."

Because, by golly, if I'm going to hear about it for the next 25 years, I want the get out of jail free card....
it's time to put them down when they start that chit. 🤣

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That is one of the big, huge differences between men and women. Men are generally practical minded,. We "triage" things that need to be done, and do the most necessary things first. Women, on the other hand, are in some ways like a Democrat. They run on emotion and want what they want RIGHT NOW, even if it's not the most urgent and practical thing needed. In their minds, "wants" come before "needs", but you had darned well better see to those "needs" too.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

Shootfire…Mom asked what my wife wanted for Christmas so I told mom to get her the vacuum. Figured it was foolproof and I wouldn’t end up in the dog house. Wife ended up liking the vacuum that mom got her more than anything else 😑

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
our first Christmas together I bought her a vacuum cleaner
Your logic is not lost on me - All Christmas
Vacuum cleaner - yup
carpet shampooer - yup
snow blower - yup
She wanted to paint the house, i bought paint, kids got her brushes and rollers

Mothers day
Mop and bucket
A few times she wanted flowers, so bought a few packs of seeds for the garden, then a flat of pre-grown ones

I reckon there's no pleasing them lol

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, anytime I hear, "Don't get me anything for Valentines Day." or "Just get me something practical for Christmas"
Best advice to any young man out there, regardless if they say this, buy picture frames, something about picture frames that them wimmin folk just love

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Make sure they don't have the factory photo of a chick in a bikini.
Lol. I did some work for a really bizarre couple one time and their house was filled with picture frames that had all the factory photos. Lots of different ethnicities in the factory pics (inclusion, duh) so I tried to make a joke about them having a very diverse family. Just to see if it would spark a conversation and get them to tell me what the deal was. It didn’t work. By the end of it I fully expected to become a lampshade made of skin or in the basement taking lotion out of the basket

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Lol. I did some work for a really bizarre couple one time and their house was filled with picture frames that had all the factory photos. Lots of different ethnicities in the factory pics (inclusion, duh) so I tried to make a joke about them having a very diverse family. Just to see if it would spark a conversation and get them to tell me what the deal was. It didn’t work. By the end of it I fully expected to become a lampshade made of skin or in the basement taking lotion out of the basket

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Shootfire…Mom asked what my wife wanted for Christmas so I told mom to get her the vacuum. Figured it was foolproof and I wouldn’t end up in the dog house. Wife ended up liking the vacuum that mom got her more than anything else 😑
Far as I am concerned that there is well played! Well done sir!