H&R ultra slug

gameland

Twelve Pointer
Ok after wanting one for a while and knowing they have been discontinued I bought one. I bought the heavy or bull barrel model in 20 gauge with laminated stock. Will the heavy barrel be an advantage of just a waste of money over the regular barrel? Also what about the laminated stock? Does it serve any advantage over regular wood or synthetic stocks? I liked the looks of it plus the only heavy barrel one the store had left was laminated. Thanks

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have the same gun. The laminated stock IMO is better looking and in theory stronger. Go ahead and put decent scope on there and she will reward you. They can be like a rifle and have preferred ammo, but after mine put 3 Hornady SST's under 2" at 100 yards I didn't bother trying other brands. The bull barrel is heavy to carry far, but it sure eats up recoil. In a gun magazine slug gun shoot out a few years back, these little guns were only bested in accuracy by a $2000 custom made shotgun. No production made guns grouped tighter.

Last edited:

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have the same setup, only with the regular wood stock. Use it only when hunting from a stand, so the weight is a benefit in being stable and reducing recoil. Also shoot the Hornady SSTs - the accuracy and performance is unreal. Under $300 out-the-door for the shotgun, and after adding good mid-range scope this is a wonderful setup in my shotgun-only county...

gameland

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for the responses. My son used a H&R slug gun on a youth hunt and made a perfect shot on a doe about 30 yds away using hornady SST slugs with a polymer tip and if I hadn't had some soft mud and gravel to follow the deer's tracks we would have never found it. Deer was quartering toward us and he shot her right behind the shoulder and it exited midway back on the opposite side. No blood or hair where he shot her and only minimum blood between there and where I found her. If I hadn't been sitting beside him and recorded it on my phone I would have thought he missed. I guess my point is I was not impressed at all with the SST slugs. Maybe it was a fluke? Kinda like powerbelt muzzleloading bullets. Crazy accurate but I will never use on a deer again because no penetration and almost lost a couple deer with them.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I haven't shot anything but paper with the 20 ga SST's so far. I did shoot a deer at 130 yards with a 250 gr SST in my muzzleloader and he was DRT. I pulled the shot and hit him in the left shoulder, no exit but both shoulders were busted and complete mush!! My BIL shoots Remington copper solids in his H&R and likes them.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Shot many a deer with slugs. I primarily hunted with a slug gun for over 15 years from the late 90's to around 2012. I still use it some and I have killed a bunch of deer using a lot of different slugs. The Hornady SSTs impressed me the least. I will not hunt with them. Ya, some of the deer were DRT, thank goodness! A buddy was going to try them in a 20 ga. I told him my experiences with them, but I told him he may have different results. Well, he didn't and he will not be using them any longer either.

My favorites were the the Winchester Partition Golds, then they reworked the loads and slowed them by 100+ fps. I then tried some of the Remington Accu-tips. I had shot them at paper and knew they were accurate. Since, I have shot a couple deer with them and have been pleased with the performance. One thing that impressed me was when I pulled a perfectly shaped mushroom from my shooting backstop, which is red clay.

Last edited: