H&R 357 mag

Lee

Six Pointer
Is the barrel threaded for iron sights or is it slick? I've seen 357's both ways.

Lee

Six Pointer
I used to load 38 Special brass with a sprinkle of Trail Boss and a cast bullet for mine. Sounded almost like a kid's popgun with the cork in the barrel. Just about as effective on game too

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used to load 38 Special brass with a sprinkle of Trail Boss and a cast bullet for mine. Sounded almost like a kid's popgun with the cork in the barrel. Just about as effective on game too
I may have to try that.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Man, I wish I would have paid more attention to H&R guns 10-15 years ago. Most are great shooters and I should have been buying! Nice set up you have there.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I have an H&R 058 in 357 also,purchased it new back in the eighties. Has the long throat that will accept 360 dan Wesson case. Got the star line brass back over the summer but haven't loaded any yet. Love shooting 38 spl in it makes it versatile

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have an H&R 058 in 357 also,purchased it new back in the eighties. Has the long throat that will accept 360 dan Wesson case. Got the star line brass back over the summer but haven't loaded any yet. Love shooting 38 spl in it makes it versatile

Mines short throated, tried a 360 in it but no go. I had another that would work with 360 but I got offered to much to pass up. Oh well I have the 357 Maxi for that.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Mines short throated, tried a 360 in it but no go. I had another that would work with 360 but I got offered to much to pass up. Oh well I have the 357 Maxi for that.
I have had to tinker with mine to get good accuracy from it like shave some wood off the forearm because it pinched and set barrel up differently each time it closed. I'm hoping the longer 360 will get the bullet closer to the lands preventing that jump from shorter 357. If that shows no improvement I may rent a reamer and go on to maxi,some older models have a bad angle or even what I've heard of as a forcing cone like revolvers that hurts accuracy. There's a forum called graybeards that have a lot of H&R owners on it that I learned a lot about these little rifles. I have shot a couple of deer with mine and love it for a brush gun but needs more work to be good for 100 yards. Trigger is heavy,probably the heaviest of all the guns I own

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This one is accurate enough that that my son head shots squirrels off the deer corn at 40 yards. My factory max puts 357 mags in a half in ch at 50 yards. Haven't matched that with Maxi handloads yet but only just getting started.