Guys: two questions

Larry Eckart

Four Pointer
Guys,
It's that time of year again when we all focus on horns and dropping acorns and scent and movement and quiet steps and the promise of another season. Once again thanks to so many of you who helped me out last year in my first season deer hunting at an above average age.

Two questions:
I was out this past Sunday looking at a new area and kicked up a woodcock. That surprised me as I would think it way too early for flight woodcock. Do some timber doodles stay in NC year round?

Second question unrelated to the first. Binoculars when hunting: more extra weight to carry in, more movement in which deer can spot you or essential equipment for spotting deer before they spot you? I go back and forth about their value as one who does NOT use tree stands.

What a gift to have another season from the Lord!

Be safe. Enjoy the blessing of being taken in by Their environment and removed from our, human, frequently less beautiful, less peaceful environment.

Larry

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
If by not using tree stands you mean that you hunt on the ground, I wouldn't bother with binos. I have them with me every time I hunt, though.

ddavenport

Six Pointer
Contributor
I consider binoculars almost as essential as my weapon. Feel like going back home when I realize that I forgot them.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
for Bino's a small pair that fit in the pocket for when the big ones aren't strapped on my chest and this is based on where i hunt. Even them small cheap ones will come in handy for thick cover where distance shooting isn't going to happen, can see an ear, tip of a tine or the flick of a tail much clearer and obviously much safer than "scope" checking

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I carry high quality full-size 10x42 binos every time every where for everything. They’re that important to me.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I never leave home without binos. It doesn’t matter if I can’t see more than 25 yards in any direction, I carry them. In thick cover, I use them to “pick apart” the brush. I try not to ever kill a button head if at all possible. Using binoculars to distinguish a button head from a doe in low light is a must for me.

As to not using a tree stand, I “still hunt” from the ground quite often. Binos are essential to me for hunting that way. I use them to scan the area intensely before moving forward again once I stop. They’ve saved me from spooking a deer I hadn’t picked up with my naked eye countless time.

I like having my Binos. I like to scan the woods to help me see further than I can with the naked eye. Helps to see deer before they see me. Also helps me see them longer to figure out how they are moving through the woods I hunt.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I prefer to keep binos with me, usually they have a higher magnification than my scope does and I don’t like to use a scope attached to a rifle to try to identify things anyways.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Always carry binos with me, but I don't have the best eyes especially at a distance. Invest in a strap for the binos and it's minimal movement to raise them. I'd suggest one that has a good neck piece so that the material isn't digging into your neck on long hunts.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hunt on the ground exclusively and carry a pretty high powered set of autofocus binos. They let me pick apart the woods in front of me for horizontal lines where there shouldn't be any and any movement. I won't hunt without them.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I carry mine in a marsupial chest rig that holds my release, range finder, pistol, and a few other essentials. I seriously never ever hunt or even leave home without it.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I ground hunt mostly in the thick stuff so binos are a waste of time, weight, and movement.

No idea about a woodcock.

billyearl

Six Pointer
Contributor
Guys,
It's that time of year again when we all focus on horns and dropping acorns and scent and movement and quiet steps and the promise of another season. Once again thanks to so many of you who helped me out last year in my first season deer hunting at an above average age.

Two questions:
I was out this past Sunday looking at a new area and kicked up a woodcock. That surprised me as I would think it way too early for flight woodcock. Do some timber doodles stay in NC year round?

Second question unrelated to the first. Binoculars when hunting: more extra weight to carry in, more movement in which deer can spot you or essential equipment for spotting deer before they spot you? I go back and forth about their value as one who does NOT use tree stands.

What a gift to have another season from the Lord!

Be safe. Enjoy the blessing of being taken in by Their environment and removed from our, human, frequently less beautiful, less peaceful environment.

Larry
I would 'bout as soon leave my ammo behind as leave my binoculars ...

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I used to only carry binoculars when I was hunting fields or cutovers but I carry even during archery now. Still hunting on the ground they really help looking through the timber and into thicker areas. Plus during gun season low light situations it helps id and evaluate bucks when you are trying not to shoot the younger generations. As far as woodcock I have only seen one here in cabarrus county and if I had not been so close I would not have known what it was. Every snipe I have ever seen was out in open fields especially late winter after the fields are bare. The woodcock was deep into the woods and a lot lighter brown about the end of October

slugoo

Eight Pointer
Idk about woodcock, but I bring binoculars when I'm hunting in open hardwoods on a high point or something. Most of my hunting is pretty close range so I don't most of the time.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Woodcocks are here. Binoculars, I own a few pair. I use them when hunting tandem or watching fields in the evening. When I see a deer, I prepare to shoot. I don't reach for the binos first. Might be the only shot I have, if the deer is a shooter. I don't think I have ever used binos to find a deer or look at one I haven't already seen. Out west would/could be a different story.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
I have seen woodcock every month of the year in NC, mostly from about this time of year until May. As far as binoculars I keep a pair in each of the stands that I hunt . I don't carry them in and out they weight me down. I do not spot and stalk or still hunt anymore, just too damn old. I do not spend my time in the stand glued to the binos ( tunnel vision ) or looking at my phone. If I see something that looks like a deer I will check it out . Most of the time I am looking for movement . If I see movement and can not make it out then I pick up the binoculars . Like DRS if that movement turns out to be a shooter the glass comes down and the gun comes up .