Guys: two questions

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive had a couple places where I have utilized binos. The large majority of the time, I do not carry them.

I have used the rangefinder a lot during bow season when hunting field edges. Its like a 6x unit or something like that.

As far as rifle hunting, ive watched many deer through a scope. Its pretty rare that i look at something not knowing what it is….its usually plain as day a deer or not a deer.

I dont think anything has ever helped me decide whether to shoot a deer or not. If i need binos or a scope to make that call, letting it walk is a good call as well.

Larry Eckart

Four Pointer
What part of the state were you in?
I was in the Piedmont when I flushed the timberdoddle. I lived in Michigan for 26 years where hunting woodcock is a fall ritual along with ruffed grouse. So I know the difference between a snipe and a woodcock. The peeping sound when they flush, rising up about 15', leveling off and flying mostly straight out a short distance is a give away. Interesting opinions on binoculars. Like everything else in deer hunting!
Larry

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was in the Piedmont when I flushed the timberdoddle. I lived in Michigan for 26 years where hunting woodcock is a fall ritual along with ruffed grouse. So I know the difference between a snipe and a woodcock. The peeping sound when they flush, rising up about 15', leveling off and flying mostly straight out a short distance is a give away. Interesting opinions on binoculars. Like everything else in deer hunting!
Larry
I hear them here regularly from October to April or so. I do not hear them and have not flushed them in the summer, or this early in the fall, but we are getting close. It may just be a very early arrival.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I hear them here regularly from October to April or so. I do not hear them and have not flushed them in the summer, or this early in the fall, but we are getting close. It may just be a very early arrival.
I think they're a little bit like Ducks. Some move at the first chill/shortening days, some won't move til they absolutely have to, some in between.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Always carry Binos. It’s one of those items i use every single hunt. Rarely do I fire my weapon, but I’m always looking at stuff. Glassing tree tops for acorns, looking at birds, looking at bushes I think are deer, looking at rocks I think are bears, looking at things and thinking “what in the hell is that?”

kilacam

Six Pointer
Same as others here, I've seen woodcocks around the old irrigation ponds in the timber plenty of times throughout the year. This year will be my first year with binoculars, but I've hunted for a long time without them. Mainly got them to scope out beard size on Turkeys.