Gut Wrenching, Heart Pounder

FabledHuntress

Button Buck
Big doe down!
Twice!
No really, had to chase the girl down…
I had set up for a broadside shot, but just as I took it, she to a sharp turn to feed again, quartering away. Not only that, upon slowing the footage, she tried ducking the shot, resulting in a far back spine shot.
To my joy she dropped, to my horror she started dragging herself through the woods with her front legs. In a hasty gut wrenching thought of her suffering, I all but slid down my ladder, crossbow in hand as I shuffled awkwardly through the woods to where she was.
I was caught between how to get close enough to make a good, quicker kill shot while she struggled, yet how not to get close enough for a flailing hoof to strike me.
For a moment she settled and I was able to double lung her, and she went shortly after that.
I feel terrible, knowing I caused her so much stress, her large fearful eyes staring into mine as she took her last breaths will be something I never forget.
I’m glad I got down from the tree, glad I ran after her in the state she was. I didn’t want to just “wait it out” She wouldn’t have gone terribly far, but I love these animals, and while I strive to fill my freezer with their meat, if I can make their death just a little bit quicker, I will.

Attachments

• FD81A1AB-4F5A-43C2-B721-A9B35712244D.jpeg
    FD81A1AB-4F5A-43C2-B721-A9B35712244D.jpeg
    646.3 KB · Views: 228
  • 0B393E97-01F4-4C64-B046-FE5B2BCFEB8B.jpeg
    0B393E97-01F4-4C64-B046-FE5B2BCFEB8B.jpeg
    414.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 7E8A39D7-AD62-425C-9F9E-1EB203020A67.jpeg
    7E8A39D7-AD62-425C-9F9E-1EB203020A67.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 84A73747-068B-46F1-B430-B96A0386347C.jpeg
    84A73747-068B-46F1-B430-B96A0386347C.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 205

dubbeltap69

Eight Pointer
Contributor
You did good! Congratulations!

Almost exact same scenario played out for me last year, and I handled it exactly the same way. Mangled a broadhead in the process but it was the quickest way to end the suffering.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Big doe down!
Twice!
I had set up for a broadside shot, but just as I took it, she to a sharp turn to feed again, quartering away. Not only that, upon slowing the footage, she tried ducking the shot, resulting in a far back spine shot.
To my joy she dropped, to my horror she started dragging herself through the woods with her front legs. In a hasty gut wrenching thought of her suffering, I all but slid down my ladder, crossbow in hand as I shuffled awkwardly through the woods to where she was.
I was caught between how to get close enough to make a good, quicker kill shot while she struggled, yet how not to get close enough for a flailing hoof to strike me.
For a moment she settled and I was able to double lung her, and she went shortly after that.
I feel terrible, knowing I caused her so much stress, her large fearful eyes staring into mine as she took her last breaths will be something I never forget.
I’m glad I got down from the tree, glad I ran after her in the state she was. I didn’t want to just “wait it out” She wouldn’t have gone terribly far, but I love these animals, and while I strive to fill my freezer with their meat, if I can make their death just a little bit quicker, I will.
You know you can carry a pistol when you hunt, if for nothing else, for something like this.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I shot a deer last year during archery season, but was high and hit him in the spine so his back legs wouldn’t move. I was close by in the tree so I watched him, hoping he’d bleed out and die. But I hadn’t hit anything that bleeds, so the poor thing just sat there struggling on two front legs. And of all days, I had left the pistol in the truck. I had to climb down and hike to the truck and back. I put one in his neck with him watching me. That was difficult.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I‘ve had to do this twice, once with an archery neck shot and one neck shot during gun season. it’s part of hunting, not every shot turns out perfecty. You did right by dispatching the deer as quickly as you could.

I second the recommendation to carry a pistol to dispatch animals in this situation. I’ve had to do it with a knife to the jugular, that was intense. Learned to have a small caliber pistol as a back up after that one.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was! It was indeed off by a couple of clicks. I’m going to try with a different crossbow though, because I still feel like something is off. I’m not sure what though.
Check the sight where it bolts on to the rail or picatinny and where the rail or picatinny bolts to the cross bow. Mine got loose once, I remedied that with some lock tite.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Well, use this example to him as a reason you should carry one then. Hopefully he can be just a little sympathetic and understand it.
Yeah, that's a great idea. Take a landowner that's already squeamish about the whole thing (if they weren't, they'd allow guns; and I guarantee they have a fictional vision of bowhunters as a nobler, more sportsmanlike sort) and tell them you're wounding deer on their land and your bow isn't quite up to the job.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Yeah, that's a great idea. Take a landowner that's already squeamish about the whole thing (if they weren't, they'd allow guns; and I guarantee they have a fictional vision of bowhunters as a nobler, more sportsmanlike sort) and tell them you're wounding deer on their land and your bow isn't quite up to the job.
Well, hopefully, if the guy understands anything about hunting, either with a bow or rifle or whatever, he will understand sometimes marginal shots like this happens when hunting and it needs to be taken care of rite then and there to keep the animal from suffering.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Well, hopefully, if the guy understands anything about hunting, either with a bow or rifle or whatever, he will understand sometimes marginal shots like this happens when hunting and it needs to be taken care of rite then and there to keep the animal from suffering.
If he did he wouldn't say "Absolutely No Guns on the Property." Unless she's hunting a very small woodlot in a residential area which I don't think she is.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns

This ^^^^^^^^^^
"Don't fix it , if it ain't broke"

@FabledHuntress you handled it well.

Always show landowners the same respect you expect from them.

And never forget , his land ? , his rules.

stormm4

Big Ole Nanny Doe
I was! It was indeed off by a couple of clicks. I’m going to try with a different crossbow though, because I still feel like something is off. I’m not sure what though.
Good for you. I’ve used Barnett and currently have a ten point. Good luck and keep at it.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Big doe down!
Twice!

well handled,,,

FabledHuntress

Button Buck
I am actually. It’s city limits, no firearms allowed
I‘ve had to do this twice, once with an archery neck shot and one neck shot during gun season. it’s part of hunting, not every shot turns out perfecty. You did right by dispatching the deer as quickly as you could.

I second the recommendation to carry a pistol to dispatch animals in this situation. I’ve had to do it with a knife to the jugular, that was intense. Learned to have a small caliber pistol as a back up after that one.
Not only does the landowner not allow gun as unfortunate as it is. I do hunt city limits where they aren’t allowed 😁
If he did he wouldn't say "Absolutely No Guns on the Property." Unless she's hunting a very small woodlot in a residential area which I don't think she is.