Gun Safe Question

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Keep an eye out and you might run across an old Canon that was built from 1/4" steel. It will not have a fire lining but it is pretty easy to install that yourself. It will take some effort to move it but you will end up with a more secure safe.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I’ve seen people put gun safes in an easily breached garage or home. As a former Navy mission planner, we were taught to think in layers, I.e., successively difficult hurdles to get to the target. Make it difficult to get to the safe, with reinforced doors and windows, plenty of outdoor lighting, exposed perimeter (no hiding places), and monitored alarm systems. You don’t have to outrun the bear, you just need to outrun your buddy, so just make it more difficult to get into your place than your neighbor’s.

witler

Eight Pointer
What about adding a couple bags cement/concrete mix in bottom of safe, added weight plus cement mix might absorb humidity inside safe.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I don't think many crack heads have the required equipment to defeat quality safes. Especially the tools that don't damage the contents.

They don't have tools besides a knife most the time. Too busy cracking off the tools they steal to be that smart to keep something

pir8rn

Six Pointer
D.......R.......A.......K........E

I wish I was sponsored since mine is full and I need another. Lol

I called him a couple weeks ago and he said he's got about a nine month backlog of work. He also said prices were up due to the cost of steel.
I'm all for buying local and spending extra for better quality, but are his safes really, truly, honestly worth 4 times what they are the big box stores?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I called him a couple weeks ago and he said he's got about a nine month backlog of work. He also said prices were up due to the cost of steel.
I'm all for buying local and spending extra for better quality, but are his safes really, truly, honestly worth 4 times what they are the big box stores?

Some people say a rolls Royce is worth the cost too. I don't have an expensive safe, it was $750 on sale but it's damn sure safer than against the wall or in a closet

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Add a framework with 3/4 rebar across the insides of the sides. That will defeat most reciprocating saws. That oughta be a framework that any shadetree welder could build for cheap.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yes

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
sold a house up in PA that was the furnace masters house for an old furnace across the street. there was a safe room on the 2nd floor. 3' thick walls. huge safe door. Room was about 12' sq.
that's what I want. lol

new safes are not like the old ones for sure. Just look at the weights of the safes themselves. a 64 gun safe was less the 300 lbs.