Gun Rest in Ground Blind

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I use a single pole shooting stick..think it called a trigger stick. Can't say it's the best, but it works the best for me. Everything else ive tried was either overly complicated or just to heavy to justify carrying it with you in the field. Simple is better in my book

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I shoot with a cabelas mono or bi pod and also sometimes use a Bog Pod that is a tripod.
All have their uses.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't know about the best, but I use an old photography tripod. The base plate post screw is threaded the same as the rubberized U-bracket on one of my shooting benches, so I use it to rest the rifle. Since the blind is set up on my property and theft hasn't been a problem, I just leave it in the blind all season.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Am I the only person who doesn't shoot using a rest? All my shots are free-hand but then my shots are usually less than 75 yards. If I can't hit a deer at that range without a rest, I need more range time.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Make you some shooting sticks out of dowel rods or something like that.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The Stoney Point bipod was and is my favorite, but I think Primos has bought them out. The Primos version does the same thing, but is more gaudy.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Cut me a forked limb? I rarely use one have enough to carry and mtn shots are usually short but have seen the Caldwell mentioned above and looks like good one but to much to carry but if You were leaving it be OK if not trigger stick is not bad I've used it

Last edited:

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
FireDuck 401, I use 2 arrow shafts with bolt/wing nut for years and really like....just wondering what others are using. Mine has tubing over ends of shaft for gun rest...kinda like the Stony Point rest....just little cheaper. Probably got less than $5 in two of them.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Get you a Caldwell field pod and you will be very pleased!

This!

They are a little on the expensive side though. I gave $120 for mine used, it’s the Caldwell Deadshot Field Pod Magnum.

Another option is getting a good solid used camera tripod and mounting the Primos 2point gun rest to it.
You can pick up the gun rest for $40 and I’ve gotten a couple good camera tripods off of EBay and at Flea Markets for $15-$20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
This!

They are a little on the expensive side though. I gave $120 for mine used, it’s the Caldwell Deadshot Field Pod Magnum.

Another option is getting a good solid used camera tripod and mounting the Primos 2point gun rest to it.
You can pick up the gun rest for $40 and I’ve gotten a couple good camera tripods off of EBay and at Flea Markets for $15-$20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a camera tripod at a yard sale today for five bucks with plans to use it for a gun rest.
I'll check out the Primos gun rest !!

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I use two 3/4” dowels with a bolt and wing nut through them.
Effective but not very pretty.
I use three dowels looped together with the rubber strips they use on your upper arm when drawing blood. Like yours, not pretty though I have stained them brown. Last time I used them was head shooting a doe antelope at 250 yds. while kneeling on one knee; good solid stance.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Am I the only person who doesn't shoot using a rest? All my shots are free-hand but then my shots are usually less than 75 yards. If I can't hit a deer at that range without a rest, I need more range time.

Range time free hand is not the same as real time shooting at a live animal.

Everybody shoots better with a rest, including the late and great Carlos Hathcock. Even infantrymen in a fighting hole, resting on sand bags, the same men who shoot at 200 meters off-hand for annual rifle qualification.

To the OP: get a tripod made for resting a gun. Money well spent. My uncle killed his first ever wild hogs yesterday morning using my tripod rest in a ground blind. Even though he shoots in long range rifle competitions, he appreciates a rest like the one I provided. Pigs dropped where they were shot.

Bean

Eight Pointer
I bought one of the Caldwell Field pods last year to use out of mine. I killed two bucks at 140yds and that thing was rock solid. It will be back in the blind with me this year.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Range time free hand is not the same as real time shooting at a live animal.

Everybody shoots better with a rest, including the late and great Carlos Hathcock. Even infantrymen in a fighting hole, resting on sand bags, the same men who shoot at 200 meters off-hand for annual rifle qualification.

To the OP: get a tripod made for resting a gun. Money well spent. My uncle killed his first ever wild hogs yesterday morning using my tripod rest in a ground blind. Even though he shoots in long range rifle competitions, he appreciates a rest like the one I provided. Pigs dropped where they were shot.

View attachment 33361
You know you can get a camo laundry basket.

old school

Six Pointer
Bog Pod for me. I use the tripod version and it is steady enough to sight in my rifles and to shoot targets while patterning my shotguns for turkeys and waterfowl.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I don't but similarly have shorter shots. If I were sitting on the edge of a beanfield or cutover with long sightlines or other areas where I might shoot a deer at 200 yards I'd have a rest, ideally.