Gun Preferences

I like semi autos in case I need a follow up shot. You can stay on target with a rapid 2nd shot without having to pump or reload. I guess for some folks it’s all about tss? I wouldn't pull off my POA to pump or reload but thats just me. But im not trying to sell anything either!

Last edited:

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I shoot an automatic simply because it is set up best for me to hunt with. I own several pumps that would certainly get the job done, but need some tweaking to be ready to turkey hunt with. I recently purchased a NEF single shot 10 gauge from a forum member. I look forward to getting it into the woods.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I shoot an automatic simply because it is set up best for me to hunt with. I own several pumps that would certainly get the job done, but need some tweaking to be ready to turkey hunt with. I recently purchased a NEF single shot 10 gauge from a forum member. I look forward to getting it into the woods.

I hope that you kill the biggest Thunderchicken in six counties with it!
It was nice to meet you!

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’ve got 3 guns I use for turkey hunting. One is Mossberg 500 12ga, I have several barrels for it and one of them is 24” with fiber optic rifle-type sights. It patterns great with Longbeard XR and a Carlson’s Longbeard choke, and is really the only true turkey gun I have.

My go-to guns though are my Franchi Affinity’s. I have a 12ga and a 20ga, and both are really waterfowl guns but they are so light to carry and have been so reliable, it’s hard for me to not pick one up when I go out. The 20 also has a Carlson’s Longbeard choke but the 12 has a Pure Gold extra full. Neither pattern quite as nicely as the Mossberg but both will definitely kill a bird at 40 yards.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
there is a brick of "turkey loads " for a 10 gauge in a local pawn shop if you have any issues with ammo for it. Pm me if you want it.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Depends on the mood, I have killed birds with them all now except 10gauge (I have no desire to shoot one lol)

I have been toting a Winchester 37 20 gauge a lot last couple years for turkeys and squirrels. The single shots are great to carry when you know you are going to cover a lot of ground

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
For years I liked carrying a 12ga and had an 835 Mossberg that I gleefully stoked with 3.5" shells. I'm glad those days are over. Today I really like my Browning BPS 20ga upland. The Stevens 301 Turkey in 20ga has proven to provide great patterns and will probably be the main shotgun I rely on from now on for turkey hunting. The 4x scope with the diamond reticle is a huge asset in putting shots on target.

<>< Fish

Datrip

Six Pointer
I've been toting a single shot .410 for the last couple of years and love it. That said I'm in the market for a 20 guage as my travel gun for those states with shot size restrictions. A friend of mine has a tri star with a pistol grip and that little gun handles like a dream. All of my turkey guns will have a red dot on top of them and as short a barrel as possible.
And that friend does indeed love that Tri Star :love::love:

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Bought my 3rd Stevens 301 Turkey single shot 3 weeks ago. Now own a 20 ga, .410, and 12 ga. That 12 ga kicks like a mule with 2-5/16 oz of TSS...

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Still using a 1991 12 ga Mossberg Ulti Mag Model 835 Xtra Brown Realtree camo pump w/ a Leupold Vari X 11-1x4 power scope mounted on a see-thru saddle mount that allows me to use the scope or fiber optic mid & front sights on the ventilated rib. Getting ready to pattern & try Federal TSS 3" #9's to see if I get improved results.🤔 Been shooting 3 1/2" Fed. & Win. 2 1/4 oz. #4's w/ excellent killing results. Added a gel recoil pad to lessen elephant gun recoil, but I am still using this setup today because I think I might have brain damage from too many pattern sessions w/ those 3 1/2" Turkey loads.🤪🥴

TomstoSwans486

Four Pointer
I've used my 12 gauge Stoeger with a Tightwad choke and usually Longbeard XR's with really good pattern. This past season I used (my wife's toy - bought it for her) a 20 gauge Winchester SXP pump, with the stock full choke and TSS #7s. Rocked a tom from 25 and two flops and he was done. I do prefer now to run n gun versus sitting, and the 20 gauge is my preferred gun for this.