Guess the County

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Life long best friend whom I have taken on several fox squirrel hunts calls me today and says " I am shaking , You will not believe what's in my backyard right now " I said bear. He said I am sending you a picture. Anyway , here it is and not in a normal fox squirrel area.

They must be expanding more than I have imagined. I thought it maybe 5 or 10 more years before they got here but here they are.
15705.jpeg

Last edited:

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I see a gray body and a black head and tail, which to me would indicate that it's a fox squirrel, as opposed to a melanistic gray.

I guess Wake County.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
a gray body and a black head and tail, which to me would indicate that it's a fox squirrel, as opposed to a melanistic gray.

melanistic grays can vary in color / pigmentation,,,,seen them solid black, to varied colors and even some with "red" tails,,,,

could be a fox squirrel,,,every black one I have seen in NC has white,,,on nose and normally tail tip - so normal that I'd say 100% of the ones I have seen have that, and I live in fox squirrel central,,,,

as I said,,,picture don't tell the tale,,,

and as for county - I don't play those games, could be one of 100,,,,if it's in NC,,,,

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I see a gray body and a black head and tail, which to me would indicate that it's a fox squirrel, as opposed to a melanistic gray.

I guess Wake County.
My phone must be terrible. It just looks solid black on my end. The 13 cracks, dirt, grease, etc probably don’t help my viewing lol

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Mack is somewhere grumbling about the rain keeping him from fishing. Keep guessing. He'll be along sooner or later.

I did attempt to go fishing early this am....actually drove 175 miles to a Big striper hotspot and met a friend there. River was dropping all yesterday according to usgs and still doing so at midnight. weather forecast from 2 different sources was only calling for very light rain at this spot and upstream over night with light rain today only being .09 inch and hour for a few hours today.

We got there and river was UP , there had to of been a gully washer storm overnight and it was flash flood up. ........lesson learned. we should have looked at gauge this am but all indicators were for very light rain and no rise in river today. oh well.

Just got back and drove 360 miles~ and didnt wet a line.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

I guess Wake County.

yes, it does have a slightly grayish black back and I can see white ears and my friend whos knows fox squirrels said it had white ears.

wake is not it.....there are a few ain wake and have beeen for years in the Shearon Harris area.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Wolfpacker got it first and ABBD was right as well......Northern Alamance(where I am from) in the Lake Cammack Area. Fox squirrels have been seen it western Rockingham by some friends of mine 5~ years ago and they are expanding east from there but i thought it would take longer for them to get to caswell and Northern Alamance.

Last edited:

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Some on a track I hunt in Harnett Co. on Cape Fear River out of Lillington....solid black white tips on ears, and lot larger than grays. Saw one few yrs back run all way cross a pasture bordering the river and Red Tail hawks fly over it all the time...how he made it I don't know.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Some on a track I hunt in Harnett Co. on Cape Fear River out of Lillington....solid black white tips on ears, and lot larger than grays. Saw one few yrs back run all way cross a pasture bordering the river and Red Tail hawks fly over it all the time...how he made it I don't know.

He outfoxed them.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
He outfoxed them.

Even though I am sure hawks get a few I think they have trouble with the full grown ones. Cant remember his name but a well known outdoor writer (i have the article somewhere) was floating the Suwannee river and was getting ready to shoot a Fox squirrel and a Red tailed hawk came in and tried to get it. Writer responded that he watched them and the Big ole Fox squirell beat the hawk. He then shot the squirrel!