Grouse Mount

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was able to pick up my ruffed grouse mount from the taxidermist today. This was a red phase Minnesota bird from a couple of years ago. Mark Benfield did a great job on it, and he said mine is the last ruffed grouse he will ever mount because he has continued to narrow down his work to only ducks.

Out of the 15 or so grouse we shot, this bird was one of the better ones. About 75% were gray phase. I was hoping to shoot a red phase with a solid tail band to mount, and when this one fell in a logging road I ran and snatched it up before the dog could retrieve it. I'm glad to finally get it back. It's a fine piece and a great way to remember the hunt.
44FECBF8-7A7A-4C8B-8C04-9628A67E75D1.jpeg
5EC92DA8-AAAC-4F78-8117-8E45EFA35EA1.jpeg
F514071E-91BE-4D86-88A0-9366158A9F65.jpeg
26E2560B-FB2F-4215-B389-90B543EDF0E6.jpeg

Last edited:

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Looks great! The grouse mount sitting on my safe for a couple decades is looking dull by comparison. Tough to find a good bird taxidermist, even in areas where upland bird hunting is still very popular.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looks great! The grouse mount sitting on my safe for a couple decades is looking dull by comparison. Tough to find a good bird taxidermist, even in areas where upland bird hunting is still very popular.
It seems that way. When I was up there I saw quite a few grouse and pheasant mounts, and most were lacking in quality. Talent is where you find it, I guess. I know Mark doesn't do many, now any, but I'd wager he still did better than most taxis that do a bunch every year.

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Glad you posted this. I've been racking my brain trying to remember his name. He mounted two ducks for me when he was just getting started (guessing 20+ years ago). I was walking through some outdoor show at the state fairgrounds and stopped at his booth and I was amazed at his mounts. Even though he was halfway across the state, we made it work. To date those are the only two I have mounted and they are awesome. I don't know anything about what a grouse is supposed to look like, but that looks really incredible to me, just like he impressed me all those years ago.