Ground sausage seasonings

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What brand and blend of ground sausage seasoning do you use?
We’ve got a kind we always use because....that’s the kind we’ve always used. I would like to branch out and do some taste testing.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Leggs..I've used it for 30+ years and don't see a reason to change. We add all kinds of spices just to try something new but always come back to that brand.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Leggs #10 seems to be the favorite so far. I tried to order some already this morning, but couldn’t get it here by Saturday when I need it. Where do you guys buy it?

I got a local butcher to sell me some of theirs, but it’s a no name brand. Thought I might mix up a couple different ones to try.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you've got a Piggly Wiggly store near you and they have a meat department they use Leggs to make sausage and will usually have plenty to sell as well. Some folks don't like sage, so be aware that Leggs Old Plantation does use a lot of sage for flavoring. I like it but we have made it and had some folks that didn't care for the sage taste(of course they didn't know what's good obviously)
Here's a link to their site, I've never read this list before and had no idea they had all this stuff that I haven't tried...it's on fellers !

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you've got a Piggly Wiggly store near you and they have a meat department they use Leggs to make sausage and will usually have plenty to sell as well. Some folks don't like sage, so be aware that Leggs Old Plantation does use a lot of sage for flavoring. I like it but we have made it and had some folks that didn't care for the sage taste(of course they didn't know what's good obviously)
Here's a link to their site, I've never read this list before and had no idea they had all this stuff that I haven't tried...it's on fellers !

I was on there yesterday looking at their offerings. I didn't know there were so many different seasoning blends!

No Piggly Wiggly's around these parts. The stuff I picked up yesterday is a sage blend too. We'll see how it taste. Got some A.C. Legg #10 on order.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Was in Academy a couple of days ago and they sell a sausage kit (Brand name is Fiesta) which contains the seasoning and casings and also a venison sausage kit which has the addition of a small packet of Prague powder (Instacure #1). I haven't tried it but might do so in the future.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We butchered today, and turned all of the ground into sausage - a total of 42 lbs.

Mixture was 80% venison, 20% pork fat trimmings, ground twice together on a 3/16" plate.

We tested 4 different seasoning blends (1/4 lb. each), and fried up some fresh outside on the cast iron skillet for lunch before proceeding with the mixing.
#1) UltraSource Ultra Sage
#2) Ultra Sage/Ultra Hot (66%/33%)
#3) UltraSource Ultra Hot
#4) A.C. Legg #10

The Ultrasouce is from a local butcher. It's what they use in their sausage. It can be purchased online directly by the case. The A.C. Legg came from Amazon. After taste testing, cooked in the same pan at the same time, blend #2 was the clear favorite. 3 out of 4 people preferred #2, and the fourth couldn't choose between #1/2/4.

First off, they were all very good. Some were just better than others. I found A.C. Legg to be a good flavor overall, but milder and less seasoned than the others. Though it is considered a country-sage blend, it did not have a strong sage flavor. Ultra Sage had a strong sage flavor, was about the same heat (mild) as Leggs, but a little saltier and with more seasoning. Ultra Hot (not ultra-hot) is NOT just a hotter version of the sage. In fact it did not have much of a sage flavor, but was med-hot, and slightly saltier. The best mix was 2:1 Ultra Sage/Hot. The "saginess" of Sage was cut by the Hot and there was more salt and kick. The mixture of the two was really good. That also happened to be a similar blend to what the butcher uses.

E562F7BA-3F3D-4C29-B0B4-6E0730A976A3.jpeg

Last edited:

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
We butchered today, and turned all of the ground into sausage - a total of 42 lbs.

Mixture was 80% venison, 20% pork fat trimmings, ground twice together on a 3/16" plate.

We tested 4 different seasoning blends (1/4 lb. each), and fried up some fresh outside on the cast iron skillet for lunch before proceeding with the mixing.
#1) UltraSource Ultra Sage
#2) Ultra Sage/Ultra Hot (66%/33%)
#3) UltraSource Ultra Hot
#4) A.C. Legg #10

The Ultrasouce is from a local butcher. It's what they use in their sausage. It can be purchased online directly by the case. The A.C. Legg came from Amazon. After taste testing, cooked in the same pan at the same time, blend #2 was the clear favorite. 3 out of 4 people preferred #2, and the fourth couldn't choose between #1/2/4.

First off, they were all very good. Some were just better than others. I found A.C. Legg to be a good flavor overall, but milder and less seasoned than the others. Though it is considered a country-sage blend, it did not have a strong sage flavor. Ultra Sage had a strong sage flavor, was about the same heat (mild) as Leggs, but a little saltier and with more seasoning. Ultra Hot (not ultra-hot) is NOT just a hotter version of the sage. In fact it did not have much of a sage flavor, but was med-hot, and slightly saltier. The best mix was 2:1 Ultra Sage/Hot. The "saginess" of Sage was cut by the Hot and there was more salt and kick. The mixture of the two was really good. That also happened to be a similar blend to what the butcher uses.

View attachment 37267
Good to know .Thanks for the info.