Ground hunting mountain gamelands

Rockhound

Eight Pointer
Hi guys, relatively new to hunting seeking some help. I learned to hunt in central NC on Falls Butner (thanks @Jaybird!!) but moved up to Polk county NC and my hunting has been abysmal! Lots of sign - tracks, scat, rubs, scrapes, but haven't seen a deer from the stand yet this season (5 sits). I'm wondering if bow season pushed them nocturnal? Alas, here is my thought on changing strategy, looking for feedback from more experienced hunters.

I've been hunting with my Summit climber. Even during leaf-off, that thing is a bit of a bear to bushwhack with. It's loud, awkward, and heavy. I'm considering leaving it behind, hiking in much further, and clearing an area at the base of a large tree of leaves (for sound), then sitting there. With the topography at Green River, I should be able to position myself partway up a hillslope with a large viewshed. It may be a bit more difficult to get clear shooting lanes in the timber, but what do you guys think? Any experience with hiking in and ground sitting in mountain topography? Thoughts or considerations?

And if anyone else is doing this and wouldn't mind a tagalong, I would love to go with you, even if you get shooting rights :)

Thanks.

PS. I'm working on putting together a saddle + SRT setup for next year to be able to drop the Summit altogether and still hunt from an elevated position.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’ve killed deer on the ground. Make sure the wind is in your favor and sit still.

I’d use climbing sticks long before I’d SRT, unless you’re proficient with rope work.
Some of the guys on here are one sticking the tree. I bet one stick is lighter than the rope required for SRT climbing.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I’m 100% public hunter.
Last deer I killed from a tree was in 2012.
Ground hunting is where it’s at.

There was a thread from last year with lots of responses about how to find and hunt good spots in the mountains. Do a search.

You don’t need to see as far as you can shoot, just need to see as far as where the deer are coming by. 90% of the time I hunt trails in transition areas between feed and bed or between bed and bed. Can be boring hunting but effective. Grunting works this time of year.

If you’re hunting somewhere that’s shredded with feeding sign, you need to back up to somewhere you can get after them when they leave that spot before daylight.

I like steep tight cut hollers cause the thermals are dependable and the trails are a little more defined/used in the steepest spots.

There’s more guys on here that do the same.

Honestly, if you aren’t out scouting AFTER deer season to find scrape lines, pretty hollers to hunt, trails, etc, then you are behind the game.

After a year or two, you find where they’ll be during gun season every year (pending natural feed)

Ditch the stand and figure out more about your area. Just cause you think it’s a pretty place to hunt doesn’t mean the deer think it’s a pretty place to live

I’ve hunted Polk County quite a bit over the years especially in the Green River area and as previous posters have suggested, scouting is the name of the game. I have though like you mentioned had a lot of success hiking in a good bit, as far away as I can from other hunters and trying to find the ridge lines that give a long view in multiple directions then playing the wind. You’re not going to see the quantity of deer you’re used to coming from down east but there are good deer out there. Good luck!

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I’m 100% public hunter.

There was a thread from last year with lots of responses about how to find and hunt good spots in the mountains. Do a search.

You don’t need to see as far as you can shoot, just need to see as far as where the deer are coming by. 90% of the time I hunt trails in transition areas between feed and bed or between bed and bed. Can be boring hunting but effective. Grunting works this time of year.

If you’re hunting somewhere that’s shredded with feeding sign, you need to back up to somewhere you can get after them when they leave that spot before daylight.

I like steep tight cut hollers cause the thermals are dependable and the trails are a little more defined/used in the steepest spots.

Honestly, if you aren’t out scouting AFTER deer season to find scrape lines, pretty hollers to hunt, trails, etc, then you are behind the game.

After a year or two, you find where they’ll be during gun season every year (pending natural feed)

Ditch the stand and figure out more about your area. Just cause you think it’s a pretty place to hunt doesn’t mean the deer think it’s a pretty place to live
Added. Find anything to get a little cover for movement. I like sitting in old stumpholes on razor ridges. I can move my arms and rifle, but only my head is showing above the ground. And can see far enough to shoot one that slips in.

Another thing. Don’t get caught up thinking you have time to watch deer when you’re on the ground. You don’t. They are usually MOVING on trails.
Don’t cut out shooting lanes. It doesn’t really help. You’re better off shooting your rifle and getting quick with it. Always take your first best shot.

Ground hunting is addictive but the learning curve can be long.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I have a question for guys packing in these saddles and whatnot.

If you’re getting way in there with that gear, what do you do when you kill one? Friends? Multiple trips?

Seems like having that extra stuff would be hard to deal with on the packout.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You'll have few different opinions here and what is do is take little from each and use it. Basically there is no right or wrong I've killed fair amt public mtn deer using stand just for fact that when pressure hits they dontbisr them pretty hardwood open ridges where you can see forever much. I wanna get in semi thick laurel because deer are more comfortable moving in daylight especially one leaves are all off woods can get real noisy and open not comforting for deer. Now as far as ground hunting I've killed more on ground than in tree just gotta be wise about wind and understand where they will and won't walk in daylight hours state land gets hit hard once rifle starts there are areas that have sign but its all at night they simply just aren't coming out in day in them you have to find areas where they will. And as far as only 5 sits and no deer that is not at all uncommon on public in mtns I've went double digits sits with no deer seen in Pisgah and sometimes I'll see them several days in row. Bedding is every where in mtns laurel and rhodo alk over for cover I don't focus on it as much as fresh feeding sign. Keep at it and maybe give up some them nice views for some thick 20 to 30 yard shot best you can get views

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

If you’re getting way in there with that gear, what do you do when you kill one? Friends? Multiple trips?

main reason I hunt ground most time I'm just to dang lazy pack it all in and out sometimes I'll leave if I know area is safe but still headache when your deep in

Rockhound

Eight Pointer
I’ve killed deer on the ground. Make sure the wind is in your favor and sit still.

I’d use climbing sticks long before I’d SRT, unless you’re proficient with rope work.
Some of the guys on here are one sticking the tree. I bet one stick is lighter than the rope required for SRT climbing.

I'll look into sticks more before buying much more SRT gear. I'm a rock climber too so pretty proficient with the ropes and gear for SRT. Cheers,

Rockhound

Eight Pointer
You'll have few different opinions here and what is do is take little from each and use it. Basically there is no right or wrong I've killed fair amt public mtn deer using stand just for fact that when pressure hits they dontbisr them pretty hardwood open ridges where you can see forever much. I wanna get in semi thick laurel because deer are more comfortable moving in daylight especially one leaves are all off woods can get real noisy and open not comforting for deer. Now as far as ground hunting I've killed more on ground than in tree just gotta be wise about wind and understand where they will and won't walk in daylight hours state land gets hit hard once rifle starts there are areas that have sign but its all at night they simply just aren't coming out in day in them you have to find areas where they will. And as far as only 5 sits and no deer that is not at all uncommon on public in mtns I've went double digits sits with no deer seen in Pisgah and sometimes I'll see them several days in row. Bedding is every where in mtns laurel and rhodo alk over for cover I don't focus on it as much as fresh feeding sign. Keep at it and maybe give up some them nice views for some thick 20 to 30 yard shot best you can get views

Awesome, thanks for the response @turkeyfoot - makes me feel better about not seeing them. I've definitely been scouting through the fall and have several spots with very good sign. Saturday I was sitting over a fresh rub/scrape with fresh scat, so they're in there, just maybe like you guys said, moving through the area at a time that is not when I am in my stand! :D

I'll keep after it. Cheers.

Last edited:

Rockhound

Eight Pointer
Added. Find anything to get a little cover for movement. I like sitting in old stumpholes on razor ridges. I can move my arms and rifle, but only my head is showing above the ground. And can see far enough to shoot one that slips in.

Another thing. Don’t get caught up thinking you have time to watch deer when you’re on the ground. You don’t. They are usually MOVING on trails.
Don’t cut out shooting lanes. It doesn’t really help. You’re better off shooting your rifle and getting quick with it. Always take your first best shot.

Ground hunting is addictive but the learning curve can be long.

Great! Thanks @appmtnhntr . I love the stumphole idea/natural cover. Plenty of treefall in the Green Gorge that is for sure. And awesome to hear you're on the ground all the time. Encouraging. Ok, going to give this a shot this week. I have a good near-ridgeline spot with fresh sign in mind. Where trails are leading in/out of mountain laurel patches.

Rockhound

Eight Pointer

A saddle and gear for climbing (single rope or stick setup) is way less stuff than a 25lb climber stand. Lighter, more compact, easily packable. When deep in Falls Butner, I've done two trips, one to get stand out, one to drag. Another time I had a buddy so we traded pulls. One time I drug far enough to totally wear through the hide. It's never easy, haha. My current objective is to totally quarter and pack out if I'm deep in. A bit more time but it would be a cool skill to learn and prepare me for any western US hunts if I ever take that plunge.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hunt rough ground as well but in WV

I don’t use a stand anymore on public land, too much of a hassle and not much more advantageous than a fininding a spot to hunt from the ground with the right wind.

It’s also a lot safer.

Still (stalk) hunting is also very effective in the mountains.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I grew up doing what your suggesting. Killed several dozen deer.
Watch your scent, and the wind, and try to get the sun at your back..or at least your side.
We carried about a 8 ft x3 ft pc of camo netting to put up in front of us if no other cover was available., using local sticks stabbed into the ground to support it in a semi circle, to hide our movements.
ALWAYS clear leaves from the area, sit on a pad to keep yer butt warm and dry,
Todays turkey hunting vests have a backrest pad AND sitting pad built in.
Take an empty Gatorade bottle to pee into.
Learn to shoot and practice shooting "wrong" handed when sitting and can rest elbows. This reduces movement GREATLY when a deer comes from the "wrong" side.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
He might also take a pruning shears or fold up saw in with him and make a little blind. Doesn't have to be a log cabin by any stretch, just a something to break up your outline.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
There are a couple of seat options that would be better than just sitting at the base of a tree.
the hammock that someone showed last week and a turkey lounger seat will keep you comfortable for hrs.
the advice on setting up where you need to versus having a long field of view is keen imo.

they were killed to virtual extinction before we started climbing to kill them. :)
It'll work fine for you rockhound. Good Luck.

Rockhound

Eight Pointer
Man, thanks for all of the replies already guys. Excellent group here. Can't wait to try this out. Don't know why I was thinking it was super out of touch to try and hunt from the ground. I guess it's what you learn and anything outside of that seems foreign! Thanks.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I shot my first deer at 12 years old from the ground in 1974,,,didn't own a "treestand" of any form until 1995,,,,still prefer ground hunts,,,

guess that's why I like turkey hunting down here more than deer,,,,its a ground movement hunt,,,

I keep deer hunting cause I like eating them,,,,and big antlers once in a while are cool,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I shot my first deer at 12 years old from the ground in 1974,,,didn't own a "treestand" of any form until 1995,,,,still prefer ground hunts,,,

guess that's why I like turkey hunting down here more than deer,,,,its a ground movement hunt,,,

I keep deer hunting cause I like eating them,,,,and big antlers once in a while are cool,,,
Wellllllllll not to mention there aren't many redwoods to hold you here. :oops:

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns

My saddle, platform and stick weigh 10lbs total and it all fits in my pack, except the stick which I strap to the side. Place the quartered deer on the meat shelf and start walking.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I have shot 2 from the ground this season and one from the saddle.

Fallen down trees are my favorite spot to sit, especially if they still have limbs on, that provides a natural ground blind.

I like rock piles, too.

Sometimes, I just meander through the woods, following a deer trails with the wind in my face.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
When I hunt public in the mountains and Im walking back in there I use a gobbler lounger chair.
I have a small pack that I strap the lounger onto and Im set. Get that baby set up in a blow down or tangle and you disappear. I like to hunt saddles and pinch points up closer to /or/ between bedding areas and its usually pretty thick. Most deer that I shoot on public in the mountains can be taken with a healthy dose of buckshot. Usually dont see many deer in the open, pretty hardwoods this time of the year. Dont get too deep off in the hollers cause swirling winds will get you caught. I usually try to stay above where I expect deer to cross and look down over the area...its kinda' like being in a stand.

Last edited:

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I haven’t been able to try it in NC mountains, but in WV mountains if I’m hunting with a rifle it’s always from the ground. Have killed lots of deer that way, way more than I have out of a stand.

I dont sit under one tree for very long, most of my time is spent on my feet moving very slowly trying to spot them before they know I’m there.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
WN
I’m 100% public hunter.

do you know where the thread from last year is? i tried to search it and couldn't find it. Im also interested in finding more information and learning to hunt the mountains, haven't been a deer hunter very long but i know its alot different from down east where my buddy got me into deer hunting.

Do you use cameras to find and pattern deer or just find sign and set up on the travel trails.

as for saddle hunting, the saddle can be worn in like a fanny pack, and depending on how you climb up the tree it can be as simple as two extra pieces of rope about 8' long with a loop in the ends.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I don't use cameras on ntnl forest most places there its food related and finding food can be challenging if its heavy nut crop they can feed anywhere if its mast failure then finding browse or if near private they'll transition to better habitat. Some best yeas are when its low moderate drop and finding acorns your good to go. To me putting camera up just adds scent to natural food area because you wanna go check it. I personally think deer deep in ntnl forest are not as tolerant to human scent as say deer on a farm

Kane_b

Six Pointer
I’m 100% public hunter.

That last part above everything else is key to public^^^

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
That last part above everything else is key to public^^^
So very true he knows his stuff so many people think just because they have high powered rifle they need to see 100 plus yards. Like ol copper said above lot these deer can be killed with buck shot. If you ain't where they are comfortable in daylight your just out watching squirrel play