Ground bees!

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
Last hard to reach one I had got a fistful of seven dust. That is no joke.
Been using 7 dust for 10 years, very successful, especially where you don't want to throw gas. I don't know if they die or leave but they are gone the next day.
I have not seen a black hornets in 3 years though, where are they?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Been using 7 dust for 10 years, very successful, especially where you don't want to throw gas. I don't know if they die or leave but they are gone the next day.
I have not seen a black hornets in 3 years though, where are they?
It kills them, it is deadly, that is why beekeepers don't want folks to use it on their garden. They get it on them pollinating plants and take it back to the hive and they are done for.

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
I never thought of that, I bet that is one reason bees are so hard to keep. I saw a garden the other day that looked like it had snowed on it. The only time I use 7 dust is on yellow jackets, I don't have a garden but if I did now I would be sure to limit anything poison on the plants. I sure like sourwood honey

timber

Twelve Pointer
Had a friend stir up some ground bees one night when we were running the coon dogs in the summer around corn field. He started hollering running towards me. I cut my light off and finally got him to cut his off. They stopped going after him the time his light went off. Never heard of them bothering anybody at night. We want far from a creek. Had already decided if he keep running my way after the first bite me and my 2 dogs were hitting the water

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
Those ground nest sure did provide a lot of entertainment when I grew up. Me and my cousin would find a nest, get on each side of the hole with a pine branch in each hand and start swatting. The first one to run lost. Our intent was to kill them as fast as they came out of the ground. I really don't remember getting them all.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Those ground nest sure did provide a lot of entertainment when I grew up. Me and my cousin would find a nest, get on each side of the hole with a pine branch in each hand and start swatting. The first one to run lost. Our intent was to kill them as fast as they came out of the ground. I really don't remember getting them all.

Vannoyboy, you ain’t right! You couldn’t pay me enough to get stung on purpose. Who usually won? Bet the “winner” became a loser as well once your partner in crime stopped swatting.

I did throw rocks at a hornets nest……once. Ran around the side the house after I hit it. Thought I’d try again and got lit up. Never again!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had a friend stir up some ground bees one night when we were running the coon dogs in the summer around corn field. He started hollering running towards me. I cut my light off and finally got him to cut his off. They stopped going after him the time his light went off. Never heard of them bothering anybody at night. We want far from a creek. Had already decided if he keep running my way after the first bite me and my 2 dogs were hitting the water
Long as you have that light off you are golden.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Vannoyboy, you ain’t right! You couldn’t pay me enough to get stung on purpose. Who usually won? Bet the “winner” became a loser as well once your partner in crime stopped swatting.

I did throw rocks at a hornets nest……once. Ran around the side the house after I hit it. Thought I’d try again and got lit up. Never again!
First bear in mind I am allergic to insect stings. Back in my drinking days I was drunk enough when we were canoing the New to get out with a buddy and throw a rock and hit a hornets nest. Of course they came after us and we went running for the canoe. We jumped in and capsized it. I went downstream and about drowned but my buddy that stayed with the canoe looked like he bad been shot with buckshot. LOL

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
sevin on yellow jackets is one of the best tips i have gotten from this forum or anywhere else actually.
Thanks @nccatfisher
I had a hay loft full of them- It was a cluster. once i treated all their holes they were no more.
MY family way of gassing at dusk wasnt going to cut it in a barn.
I have skunks galore and think that the only thing they like better than honey is turtle eggs.
I see a few every year - some lay right near my drive. In variably i find the dug up nest and egg remains.
So i shoot them - I tssed a family of three with one shot.
I may need to quit. I got stung this week. :)

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
First bear in mind I am allergic to insect stings. Back in my drinking days I was drunk enough when we were canoing the New to get out with a buddy and throw a rock and hit a hornets nest. Of course they came after us and we went running for the canoe. We jumped in and capsized it. I went downstream and about drowned but my buddy that stayed with the canoe looked like he bad been shot with buckshot. LOL
I’d rather drown. Screw a buncha hornets

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Got tangled up in them again today. Was building a fence in the yard. Six more stings from those little bastards.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Found nest #8 yesterday. I’ve poured more gas in the ground than my lawnmower this year.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
Funny how this thread was started the day I got stung. Went to the beach for 4 days and came back to mow the yard. Hit a nest in the ground and got hit 3 times. I never had a nest before and wasn't there the day before the beach. Had to be about 100 swarming the area after I went running.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Tim don’t get me wrong I like you just fine. But we definitely woulda gotten along good in “them” days too. I thought it was a good idea to shoot bottle rockets at one. Was it the dumbest thing I’ve ever done? No. Was I sober? Helllllllll naw

jboi72

Eight Pointer
Got hit by one at work Friday while digging around with the front bucket of the backhoe, got in between my glasses and tore my eye brow up, swole my eye up and hurt like a sob for a couple days. Looked down after I got popped and there was hundreds of them.

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
Seems like there are more yellowjackets in the ground this year than we have had in a while. My grandson rolled one out this weekend, Got to go get more 7 Dust, can't find mine. Still have not seen one single black hornet in 3 years.

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
Got in to some yellow jackets this morning mowing. Lucky I only got zapped once on the ankle, still throbbing some. Going to gas um after dark.

When I was a kid i stayed with my grand parents in the summer. One year hornets built a nest bigger than a basketball on the side of grandpa's wood shop building. He left the nest alone until it got to point were we couldn't go through the door without getting popped or chased.

I watched him get ready to do battle with those hornets. He got his hay mowing straw hat and had one of grandma's see thru red scarves draped over the hat, coat, gloves and crammed two cigarette filters in his ears. Loaded up a double barrel shotgun with bird shot.
Got in his truck, drove it up beside the building where could shot down the side, rolled down the window enough to get the gun out and turned loose both barrels. Rolled up the window and drove away. Looked like news paper confetti on the ground when he got through and not a hornet in sight. Grandpa always did make things entertaining for us kids.

Last edited:

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
Checked my daughters stand yesterday. Down near where I will put the feeder there was a wide dug up area. Got closer and saw white dots moving at the bottom in the center. Took a second to register it was hornets. I can still move quick if I have to I guess. No stings. Gonna visit tractor supply this week.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Checked my daughters stand yesterday. Down near where I will put the feeder there was a wide dug up area. Got closer and saw white dots moving at the bottom in the center. Took a second to register it was hornets. I can still move quick if I have to I guess. No stings. Gonna visit tractor supply this week.
Nothing like that flight or fight response being engaged.

My yellow jacket flight response is usually accompanied by a high pitched siren of successive obscenities.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Somewhere, in the backwoods of snow camp, NC, there's a survey pole, with a prism, stuck quite by accident in a yellow jacket nest hole.

Not by me, I was actually running the gun, but when it hit, I ran just the same. But I grabbed the total station 1st.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
So I get a text from my stepadaughter whos staying at our house saying the 3 year old just got lit up by yellow jackets; stung on the hand.

She group texted me and my delicate, lovely wife that I wrote about earlier in this thread.

I asked where the nest was, she replied, then my wife replied.

Screenshot_20210805-081945.png

I text my wife separately and said, "I know we talk a big game about your imperviousness to the winged spawn of Satan, but one of these days, your luck may run out. Just find the nest, and I'll gas or dust it this evening."

She did not reply back.

So I get home and start some crawlspace work I've been doing, and eventually, I hear her drive up.

I try to hurry out of the crawlspace to meet her, and by the time I come out, she's walking back to the house with a shovel, and a can of insectarmegeddon.

As she lays the shovel against the shed, and places the can on my toolbox, she looks at me and says, "It is finished."

She scares me.