Grim Reaper pro series whitetail special?

Officerstanley

Button Buck
I am broadhead shopping and testing early so I have plenty of time to dial everything in and practice. Right now I have a pack of the Grim Reaper hybrids and I cant get them to group with the field points. I really like the brand and had great experience with them years ago when I last hunted with a bow but I really want something to group with or as close as possible with field points. The hybrids are grouping about 2.5" high right every shot consistently at 30 yards so I'm thinking of trying these pro series whitetail specials in the hope of a closer impact to field points. Does anyone have experience with them to be able to say if they fly better or not?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fixed heads or mechanical?

i have never had a fixed head that shot the same as field points.

Bow tuning, arrow tuning, arrow spine.....lots of variables.

Officerstanley

Button Buck
Your bow needs tuned.
I’m in pittsboro if you need help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I was thinking it may need a tuning. I have a good archery shop right down the road that I may swing it by and let him do his thing and see what that changes if anything.

Thanks

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fixed heads or mechanical?

i have never had a fixed head that shot the same as field points.

Bow tuning, arrow tuning, arrow spine.....lots of variables.

In my fledgling archery days, I used a mechanical to cover up tuning issues. Once I learned
There was no reason any BH shouldn’t impact with field points, I learned how to tune to assure it.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Are you guys not finding a compromise of a tune between field points and the broad heads?

I always ran into a lot of spine issues.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Like mentioned earlier, a good tune will remove the impact point issues. For a number of years I had to make an allowance for impact difference between the two. I was shooting Thunderhead 125's, a fixed broadhead and notoriously hard to tune, and once I got a handle on better tuning those impact points coincided. Moved on now from those Thunderheads( a killing head by the way) to a different fixed head and impacts points are exactly the same out as far as I care to shoot.

A significant part of that is hand placement, elimination of hand torque and good form, so don"t overlook things on your part.

]

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
Are you guys not finding a compromise of a tune between field points and the broad heads?

I always ran into a lot of spine issues.

A well tuned compound with good form should be able to shoot a spine a step weaker than ideal and a couple of steps stiffer than ideal. And I agree with those above, a well tuned bow is capable of shooting a BH that spins well right with your FPs. Though some BHs are more critical of tune than others.

There are many, many ways to skin this cat, but I have always had success with the following (some of the steps are somewhat redundant, but I am odd in that I actually enjoy tuning):

SETUP
-Choose your arrow setup (I like to use Archers Advantage), start with intended finished weight and FOC and work backwards from there to determine insert weight, point weight, length, and spine - If anyone needs me to run an arrow set up for them let me know.
-Square up your 1st/2nd/3rd site axis (will drive you nuts chasing your tail later if this is not done well)
-Square the arrow level (rest adjustment up/down or nock point adjustment up/down)
-Set Centershot (rest adjustment left/right)
-Remove any cam lean (Yoke adjustment (twists))

TUNE
-Paper tune to get fletched bullet hole, shouldn't take much if the above was done well...minor adjustments to yoke or rest
-Paper tune bare shaft...all the way out to 20'ish in 5' increments.
-Walkback tune
-Bareshaft tune at 20 then 30+yds
-Shoot a BH to confirm FP/BH POI, if for some reason they still don't hit together you can BH tune, but if my bare shafts and FPs are hitting together at 30yds, I've never had a BH not hit with FPs assuming it spun well. Spin test all of your BHs!!!

Just thought of another tail chasing tip...make sure you have a good nock fit, if it is too tight, or too loose, you can start going the wrong direction during tuning.

During your normal shooting practice, shoot the occasional bare shaft, nothing reveals a form flaw quicker, especially with a lighted nock!

ncavi8tor

Button Buck
Matty has given you some great advice here!! Almost my exact tuning routine minus the walkback tuning. Getting those bareshafts to enter the target perfectly straight and exactly with fletched arrows at 20 yards will almost guarantee your broadheads will fly like lasers!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk