Greenville road project

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
So they've been working on this 10th street extension now for atleast 2 to 3 yrs and it's only about a 1 or 2 miles long. In the same amount of time they have built the bypass from greenville to ayden built several overpasses and paved a huge section of that bypass already. The amount of work they've completed on the bypass project in half the time is staggering.

This 10th st extension closed several businesses bought out over 20 homes and still isnt finished. It has been such a waste of money it's ridiculous.

Last edited:

RBR

Six Pointer
So they've been working on this 10th street extension now for atleast 2 to 3 yrs and it's only about a 1 or 2 miles long. In the same amount of time they have built the bypass from greenville to ayden built several overpasses and paved a huge section of that bypass already. The amount of work they've completed on the bypass project in half the time is staggering.

This 10th st extension closed several businesses bought out over 20 homes and still isnt finished. It has been such a waste of money it's ridiculous.
Barnhill Contracting Company.... Go Big or Go Home!

Wood Duck Hunter

Six Pointer
New location construction VS Existing widening project. Lots of time consuming utility relocates and phasing in order to keep areas open to traffic, residents, and business in a widening. New construction has no traffic restraints, Utility head aches, and opportunity to perform greater production in the same amount of time.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
New location construction VS Existing widening project. Lots of time consuming utility relocates and phasing in order to keep areas open to traffic, residents, and business in a widening. New construction has no traffic restraints, Utility head aches, and opportunity to perform greater production in the same amount of time.
Yep
Lots of difference. ..
ROW and existing utilities cause a lot of delays.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Probably only aboe to work at set times and possible certain monthes when less people are in town. That kind of work is really hard to do efficiently. Also....they probably have other projects that are bigger in the priority bank.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Probably only aboe to work at set times and possible certain monthes when less people are in town. That kind of work is really hard to do efficiently. Also....they probably have other projects that are bigger in the priority bank.

This was a very important project seeing it was to connect ECU directly to Vidant medical center. They finished the overpass very quickly and there are no businesses along that so it just seems that the delay is going on forever with little to no progress. They are now working on the roadway down by the intersection at highway 11/memorial dr so maybe they are getting close.

CoonHntr

Four Pointer
The project is running on schedule, and should finish up by years end. As others have stated, the underground utilities were a big part of this job and part of the reason for the length of the project. I can promise, there is a lot more going on than what you may see.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I

I certainly want to understand the difference so if you can elaborate I'd enjoy the information?
what every one else said.

plus, that bypass project is large and you can work everywhere at the same time. Believe me, they want to be done as quick as they can get done. The longer they are on site, the more it cost them. Site overhead is a big cost in the construction world

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Believe there was some ground remediation work due to previous dry cleaners along that route. Combine chlorinated solvents used in dry cleaners and government regs, and nothing gets done quickly.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Believe there was some ground remediation work due to previous dry cleaners along that route. Combine chlorinated solvents used in dry cleaners and government regs, and nothing gets done quickly.

A Buddy also said there was something to do with the railroad there that they had to wait on csx to-do and they took a long time.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
The road closed October 2015 and cost 30 million dollars. The road connection is only 1/2 Mile long......waste of money.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The road closed October 2015 and cost 30 million dollars. The road connection is only 1/2 Mile long......waste of money.
So WHAT DO you know?
Bet you have no clue to what was involved in the work or what the true cost of stuff like that is.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
So WHAT DO you know?
Bet you have no clue to what was involved in the work or what the true cost of stuff like that is.

Mostly moving the utilities....a hess gas station tanks being removed etc.....

Still only a half mile of road for 30 million. Does that sound like money well spent?

Hkw often you going to use this new road?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Mostly moving the utilities....a hess gas station tanks being removed etc.....

Still only a half mile of road for 30 million. Does that sound like money well spent?

Hkw often you going to use this new road?
With hazmat, ROW cost, relocation and RR.
Sure does sound possible.

I could review the design and costs but even if everything was in line you would still not be happy.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
With hazmat, ROW cost, relocation and RR.
Sure does sound possible.

I could review the design and costs but even if everything was in line you would still not be happy.

Depends on what you're asking was worth it.

Do you frequent the greenville area? Some days, well most days traffic is atrocious. The reasons given for this tiny 1/2 mile project and that cost even if it was within the expected cost imo was unnecessary money spent when the rest of the city needs traffic relief.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I frequent Greenville and I have a feeling traffic will always be atrocious. The way the city is set up and the way the main shopping areas are located, it looks like it will always be atrocious.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You need to remember it is part of bigger projects in the area.
I think they are working on 450 million in projects. It is not just for the here and now it is for the next 30 to 40 years that they plan for.

Also aside from what you are talking about there is a lot being done for safety replacing and at grade RR crossing with a structure that is safer for everyone and better that it does not mandate the traffic stop for the train. That was a big structure and big retaining walls.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
WITN said it was 1.4 miles. Ran into many unexpected utility problems that weren’t known until they started digging. And the hurricane last year stopped things for a while (didn’t say why; maybe repair work elsewhere?).

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Folks that don't understand the business aspect of things whether it be construction or education will argue about it for the sake of arguing. Does $30 mil sound like a lot of money, yes it does, but it was the lowest bid that they got.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Folks that don't understand the business aspect of things whether it be construction or education will argue about it for the sake of arguing. Does $30 mil sound like a lot of money, yes it does, but it was the lowest bid that they got.

Actually the bid was probably a lot lower then the final price tag. I’ll bet most of the money was from unplanned contingents that pop on every project regardless of whether it is a state road project or a corporation building a new facility. No matter how good the preparation is for a project, things pop up all the time. Worked on numerous projects in my career and don’t remember a single one not encountering some sort of major issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Actually the bid was probably a lot lower then the final price tag. I’ll bet most of the money was from unplanned contingents that pop on every project regardless of whether it is a state road project or a corporation building a new facility. No matter how good the preparation is for a project, things pop up all the time. Worked on numerous projects in my career and don’t remember a single one not encountering some sort of major issue

When you are dealing with that kind of project, you have to expect it. I just about bet that every change order that was written was priced several times because the owner/engineer thought it was too high.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When you are dealing with that kind of project, you have to expect it. I just about bet that every change order that was written was priced several times because the owner/engineer thought it was too high.
Lately in the business of working for municipalities that are low bid rewarded the name of the game is to low bid on purpose with the intention of making it up on change orders. Its cutthroat lately especially with all the work out there. Jobs less than 5 million are getting very little interest from the normal contractors Im used to dealing with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Lately in the business of working for municipalities that are low bid rewarded the name of the game is to low bid on purpose with the intention of making it up on change orders. Its cutthroat lately especially with all the work out there. Jobs less than 5 million are getting very little interest from the normal contractors Im used to dealing with.

It’s not only lately. It has been that way for close to forever in my field. There are lots of contractors that will low ball a bid just to get the work and then write everything as out of scope and change order the crap out of the project. Had one try to do that to a bunch of instruments because one letter was off from the spec sheet. Turns out the manufacturer made a change in the sensor between the RFQ going out and the awarding of the contract.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
It’s not only lately. It has been that way for close to forever in my field. There are lots of contractors that will low ball a bid just to get the work and then write everything as out of scope and change order the crap out of the project. Had one try to do that to a bunch of instruments because one letter was off from the spec sheet. Turns out the manufacturer made a change in the sensor between the RFQ going out and the awarding of the contract.

Is that legal or does it fall under some kind of fraud?

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Its shady as all get out in some cases but legal. If its not on the drawings or specs specifically its a change of scope, regardless of infered intent. Use to be a give and take on things between contactors and engineers but that approach is harder and harder to do.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If it’s a change it’s a change. GC deserves to get paid. If GC screws up and missed it, he should eat it.

Building work and DOT work is 2 separate animals. I know just enough about DOT work to be dangerous. But a change is a change in both fields. And yes, sometimes the GC takes a job cheap if they know there is an issue in the documents that they can get a big change order for. Is it ethical, that’s your call, is it legal, yes