Great White Shark Pings off Indian Island in Pamlico River

mullet dredge

Six Pointer
I read somewhere that those "pings" can be pretty inaccurate. Didn't one ping near Pinetown last year?

Exactly. It shows he was at the mouth of South Creek on 15 Nov at 9:15 PM then somehow ended up in the ocean east of Avon 9 mins later.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Yea, I think that same shark pinged behind currituck in the sound last week. I think they retard the signal to keep people from targeting those tagged sharks and it makes it look like they end up in unlikely places. I'm not saying it's impossible, but unlikely that whites spend any time in the sounds of nc.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
I read somewhere that those "pings" can be pretty inaccurate. Didn't one ping near Pinetown last year?
Yep. And one pinged near the Swanquarter Ferry Landing a couple of years ago and 1-hour later pinged outside Ocracoke Inlet in the ocean. Not even a Fountain powerboat could travel that route that fast.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Yea, I think that same shark pinged behind currituck in the sound last week. I think they retard the signal to keep people from targeting those tagged sharks and it makes it look like they end up in unlikely places. I'm not saying it's impossible, but unlikely that whites spend any time in the sounds of nc.
the bass rolling thru the milfoil in the sound 100 years ago resembled sharks.
but i digress. be safe out there darenative, be safe.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
There was one a few years back that pinged all over cape lookout shoals and in core sound. Not sure how accurate it was if a shark that big was in that body of water half of it would stick above the surface!

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
I know some of them are bad pings, but it's not too far fetched. They've been found in creeks and salt ponds on the east coast that were pretty far from the inlet! We saw one in Grad school on the Jetty at Wrightsville (winter), and several others spotted them within 100m of the beach(winter).

A good buddy was a surf photographer. He was doing aerial shots from a helicopter in the outer banks one day and saw 4 in a 10 mile stretch all within feet of the surfline.

Offshore, they are far more common than I would like to think.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I know some of them are bad pings, but it's not too far fetched. They've been found in creeks and salt ponds on the east coast that were pretty far from the inlet! We saw one in Grad school on the Jetty at Wrightsville (winter), and several others spotted them within 100m of the beach(winter).

A good buddy was a surf photographer. He was doing aerial shots from a helicopter in the outer banks one day and saw 4 in a 10 mile stretch all within feet of the surfline.

Offshore, they are far more common than I would like to think.

whites? Or sharks in general? Sharks in general are stupid thick.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
There was one a few years back that pinged all over cape lookout shoals and in core sound. Not sure how accurate it was if a shark that big was in that body of water half of it would stick above the surface!

Fishing for false albacore following the trawlers will let you see sharks in sizes that will astonish the typical landlubber. Pictured below is a bull caught at Cedar Island a few years ago that makes me more cautious while kayaking out there.

<>< Fish

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
I personally met a girl who was bitten by a bull shark near the mouth of the Neuse River many years ago. She and her friend were being towed from the spinnaker line behind the family's sailboat in an attempt to cool off from the heat. Messed her up pretty badly, too.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
whites? Or sharks in general? Sharks in general are stupid thick.
They make a push through here following the spanish migration in the fall. Few of em ended up in spanish nets around the boiler south of the inlet. None that i know about were really huge..maybe 12-13' long

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
They make a push through here following the spanish migration in the fall. Few of em ended up in spanish nets around the boiler south of the inlet. None that i know about were really huge..maybe 12-13' long

I don’t doubt it. Devon Cage had some great video from a while back. My question was more out of curiosity than doubt. I love learning about what’s out there.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
There were several whites being monitored. One, Catherine the Great, spent a lot of time around Nag's Head.