Great morning with a great friend

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
This bird that I love to pursue has given me so much in the time that I have been blessed to chase them. One of the best things is the friendships I've made due to a shared passion for the wild turkey. Yesterday I got to experience a classic roost hunt with one such friend. Since moving to NC 4 years ago datrip and I have shared many a tree together and even drove halfway across the country to Kansas last year to hunt. Yesterday morning we went to a piece of land he has permission on. We heard the 1st gobble at 6:05 and then this boy started gobbling about 5 minutes later. Once he started the other gobbler shut up. We eased in nice and close to him on the roost,probably 70-80 yards, from him. We were on a little knob about 35 yards from the crest. After we got settled I gave him a couple soft clucks on the trumpet and he gobbled. About 5 minutes later and 10-15 gobbles later I softly yelped at him. Then the eerie quiet that always happens when they are fixing to fly down happened. We both thought we heard him fly down, but couldn't be sure. The next gobble we heard he was on the ground. I turned my head and yelped and Daryl scratched in the leaves and he gobbled again. The gobbler was drifting to the right so I yelped over my left shoulder and he gobbled just over the crest of the knob at about my 2:30 position. No time to shift around the tree so I switched shoulders to shoot left handed. Seconds later there he was. When he crested the knob he blew up into strut then dropped and continued to ease towards us. Seconds later he stood up tall at about 25-30 yards and the 410 ended it. It was a great morning and I was blessed to share it with a great friend.
17623dce0eef223965a527ef46807fb3.jpg
0bf24a5a337b923fbee7543816da2b14.jpg
d20dd11f0bc363885eb22e5ac3ce587b.jpg
2c395f74559206c2f1077f0bb125e809.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Nice post. And no doubt about a good friend makes it much better I've got buddy on here ol copper. we've made several trips like you mentioned including Ks and them memories will last a lifetime turkey huntjng is way more than a dead bird.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Congratulations on a great hunt with a good friend. I know Daryl from the old T&TH board, he's definitely a quality guy. Good hunting the rest of the way to both of you.

Jim

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Congratulations Brad! You have had quite the year this spring!+
Thanks buddy, glad to see you over here. You're one of those friends I spoke about as well although we've never shared a tree together. Oh yeah I've had a pretty good season because you taught me everything I know.

Thanks buddy, glad to see you over here. You're one of those friends I spoke about as well although we've never shared a tree together. Oh yeah I've had a pretty good season because you taught me everything I know.

We need to change that so I can learn a couple of those tricks you held back on me!

Datrip

Six Pointer
This bird that I love to pursue has given me so much in the time that I have been blessed to chase them. One of the best things is the friendships I've made due to a shared passion for the wild turkey. Yesterday I got to experience a classic roost hunt with one such friend. Since moving to NC 4 years ago datrip and I have shared many a tree together and even drove halfway across the country to Kansas last year to hunt. Yesterday morning we went to a piece of land he has permission on. We heard the 1st gobble at 6:05 and then this boy started gobbling about 5 minutes later. Once he started the other gobbler shut up. We eased in nice and close to him on the roost,probably 70-80 yards, from him. We were on a little knob about 35 yards from the crest. After we got settled I gave him a couple soft clucks on the trumpet and he gobbled. About 5 minutes later and 10-15 gobbles later I softly yelped at him. Then the eerie quiet that always happens when they are fixing to fly down happened. We both thought we heard him fly down, but couldn't be sure. The next gobble we heard he was on the ground. I turned my head and yelped and Daryl scratched in the leaves and he gobbled again. The gobbler was drifting to the right so I yelped over my left shoulder and he gobbled just over the crest of the knob at about my 2:30 position. No time to shift around the tree so I switched shoulders to shoot left handed. Seconds later there he was. When he crested the knob he blew up into strut then dropped and continued to ease towards us. Seconds later he stood up tall at about 25-30 yards and the 410 ended it. It was a great morning and I was blessed to share it with a great friend.
17623dce0eef223965a527ef46807fb3.jpg
0bf24a5a337b923fbee7543816da2b14.jpg
d20dd11f0bc363885eb22e5ac3ce587b.jpg
2c395f74559206c2f1077f0bb125e809.jpg

Dang....just now seeing this for some reason. That was quite the morning indeed. That ol boy was ready to die and the Lord had us in the right spot for sure. I really enjoyed that morning my friend....and of course traveling out West last year also. We are gonna do a lot more killing in the future....the best is yet to come. Can we just skip trapping season and goat season and move on to turkeys? I am ready!! I cherish our friendship ol buddy and I appreciate you.

Datrip

Six Pointer
Congratulations on a great hunt with a good friend. I know Daryl from the old T&TH board, he's definitely a quality guy. Good hunting the rest of the way to both of you.

Jim
Thank you Jim for your kind words....certainly appreciated.