Great Fall Fishing around New River Inlet

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Stayed at Onslow Beach for a couple days of fishing camaraderie with my fishing buddy. Showed up at the boat ramp on Camp Lejeune, sadly the ramp was closed where they were tearing down the old boat slips and fixing a small pier for the Marines to fish.

Ran down to Gottschalk Marina, also on base on Wallace Creek. Put in and scouted around some with the couple of hours we had. Winds and rain kept us bouncing around. Not much to show, but we hit a few new spots to check out for later as it cools.

Wednesday we went looking for flounder, last day of the season. We caught a dozen shorts, but did manage 3 to be released into the the Crisco Pond.
e530768a3a0dea8b0e27e0d4708c858e.jpg

234805e8e9398cb87b02fdad3456af08.jpg

Flounder went 20inches, 19 inches and 15. The one had a yellow tag good for a hat or fishing towel. You report the tag number, fish size and weight, and location. You get back a report where the fish was originally caught and size. Red tags are $100... [emoji41]

Thursday the inlet was calm enough for our old butts to get out. We caught some nice fat Spanish Mackerel, 16 Ribbon Fish and a few Albies. Great day.. trolled both spoons andYozuri DD minnows.
5a3cd41d110d736992078db8cca2f4c0.jpg

c030db27063a84f4d7938caff9777bc4.jpg

24cca564c66763f86f62a0ce71e031e3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hoss

Eight Pointer
Sounds like a good time. Never saw a ribbon fish caught, went trolling for kings with a friend and they used a ribbon fish for bait.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Seems like everyone is catching a lot of ribbonfish right now. Last year was the first time we caught one after years of coastal fishing. Seemed like if you tossed out a Yozuri and it wiggled twice one would hit it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
In NC I only ever used ribbonfish for bait (big kings). Discovering since i (unfortunately) moved to VA that folks here eat ribbonfish.

Anybody on this forum eat them?

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We caught a bunch while fishing for speckled trout at OIB back in August. They look like something that you would find at a fish market in Chinatown...

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I used to catch a bunch of ribbon fish in my cast net at courthouse bay, never heard of anyone catching them on hook and line.

Good deal on the flounder!!!