Gray Meat

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
First time butchering my own tenderloins...

I left the meat in a cooler directly on ice for 4 days to age. The meat has a very thin gray layer on most of it - is this a problem for food safety or taste?

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
Yea that was my fail - the meat came in direct contact with the ice. Lesson learned. Appreciate you folks!

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Freeze disposable water bottles. Toss several in the cooler. Keep a second set in the freezer. When the ice is melted in bottle, swap with the frozen ones. Bottles that I tossed in last night were still half frozen this morning.

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
Freeze disposable water bottles. Toss several in the cooler. Keep a second set in the freezer. When the ice is melted in bottle, swap with the frozen ones. Bottles that I tossed in last night were still half frozen this morning.
Ha - as simple as I imagined. Thanks!

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Off topic- We use this in our freezers too, when there's extra room. Gallon jugs or little water bottles. Just in case the power goes out.