Granville County hunting bill- will restrict hunting bear, deer with dogs

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I can tell the part about the GPS data was written by someone who knows nothing about the gps systems. That would also be an invasion of privacy without a warrant. Similar to the cases on who owns the ECU in a vehicle.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I can tell the part about the GPS data was written by someone who knows nothing about the gps systems. That would also be an invasion of privacy without a warrant. Similar to the cases on who owns the ECU in a vehicle.
Nor does it prevent someone from simply erasing the data on their GPS if the dog strayed before they got him back.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nor does it prevent someone from simply erasing the data on their GPS if the dog strayed before they got him back.
There is a setting on them that you can store, or delete tracks, or delete them after a certain time, they would be screwed looking at mine as I set mine to delete after 15 mins as I hunt the same places over and over and I don't want to go back and delete them to keep from cluttering the screen up.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
If this bill goes anywhere it will be amended but it’s the first time I’ve seen minimum acreage requirements for private land in NC

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If this bill goes anywhere it will be amended but it’s the first time I’ve seen minimum acreage requirements for private land in NC
Pretty sure they tried it in Richmond county a couple years ago.

Reactions: CRC

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seems like pretty straight forward stuff unless I missed something.
Hopefully it might cut down on the amount of drive-bys who see a turnoff into some fields and come driving back in uninvited.
Hunted a couple farms in Granville County for a good 20+ years...always had annual written permission slips in my wallet.

EDIT:
My hunting was always still & stand hunting.....didn't use dogs.

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Seems like pretty straight forward stuff unless I missed something.
Hopefully it might cut down on the amount of drive-bys who see a turnoff into some fields and come driving back in uninvited.
Hunted a couple farms in Granville County for a good 20+ years...always had annual written permission slips in my wallet.
Did you read the whole thing? Regarding minimum acreage for dogs etc?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did you read the whole thing? Regarding minimum acreage for dogs etc?
I did.....my bad.....should have mentioned that my hunting was only still hunting / stand hunting.....no dogs.
If your reference is really about the dog part of the bill, might be best to put this in the dog hunting section.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This is dog hunting's future.

incrementally, county by county, these bills will continually be introduced to restrict or outright ban deer hunting with dogs. It's almost an annual event now that somebody is bringing forward a bill involving dog hunting. So far the dog hunting community has had the numbers and voices to beat them back, but that won't be the case forever.

Actually this bill seems pretty mild; why not have minimum contiguous acreage requirements and require that hunters be able to prove they have control of their dogs? Seems reasonable to me.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
With all the conservative on here, you think allowing the gov't to mandate equipment and then mandating you hand over personal electronics without a warrant is not a good idea. Why not just let a LEO just walk around in a parking lot and write citations after the officer accesses you cars computer. Invasion of privacy at the least. Every had a dog get away, any dog well if happens during deer season, you could be charged. Also all tracking dogs must be on a leash to be in compliance with this bill. This can be tough in thick cover.

Last edited:

ncdeerhunterRC

Four Pointer
With all the conservative on here, you think allowing the gov't to mandate equipment and then mandating you hand over personal electronics without a warrant is a good idea. Why not just let a LEO just walk around in a parking lot and write citations after the officer accesses you cars computer. Invasion of privacy at the least. Every had a dog get away, any dog well if happens during deer season, you could be charged. Also all tracking dogs must be on a leash to be in compliance with this bill. This can be tough in thick cover.

Not to mention it sets a legal precedent for the anti-hunting/anti-gun activists to put the same restrictions on all types of hunting. Next thing you know a still hunter will have to carry a GPS tracker to prove where he'd been or maybe all types of dog hunting, rabbit hunting/bird hunting/duck hunting/coon hunting/bear hunting, will eventually subject to the same thing. I don't think we want to go there. Not to mention it can't be enforced. What is to prevent someone from just erasing data with the punch of a button? You could put anyone's name on the dog collar and turn them loose. It will not stop the rogue hunters that cause the problems. I have a still hunting lease in Randolph County. A couple of years ago we were doing a man drive. We hear a pack of dogs coming and the dogs run a doe right through the middle of the cutover we were walking out. A truck comes flying down the road, stops, breaks out a rifle. We start yelling so they know we are there. The doe crosses the road & goes into the woods. We ask them what is going on. They apologize and say they are "rabbit hunting" with walkers & their dogs got on a deer. They asked us if we had anywhere we'd want them to "rabbit hunt" with us. We politely declined. We finished up and left. Just down the road a mile or so their truck was off the side of the road with the dog box open & they were making another "rabbit hunt." This is in a county where it is illegal to hunt deer with dogs. We called an LEO, of course they were tied up elsewhere, got there an hour and half later & they were long gone. Gave them the license # but nothing could be proven. I'm a major supporter of dog hunting but I obviously don't condone that. So how can this be enforced with the limited resources & the multiple more significant problems going on around us (opioid overdoses, robberies, murders, etc.) vs a dog trespassing. Two years ago we were arguing over bathrooms.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
With all the conservative on here, you think allowing the gov't to mandate equipment and then mandating you hand over personal electronics without a warrant is a good idea. Why not just let a LEO just walk around in a parking lot and write citations after the officer accesses you cars computer. Invasion of privacy at the least. Every had a dog get away, any dog well if happens during deer season, you could be charged. Also all tracking dogs must be on a leash to be in compliance with this bill. This can be tough in thick cover.
The law already states that all tracking of deer for recovery must be on a leash. Seems crazy since you can run deer with dogs, but when tracking deer for recovery of wounded, law already says leash required.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
This is dog hunting's future.

incrementally, county by county, these bills will continually be introduced to restrict or outright ban deer hunting with dogs. It's almost an annual event now that somebody is bringing forward a bill involving dog hunting. So far the dog hunting community has had the numbers and voices to beat them back, but that won't be the case forever.

Actually this bill seems pretty mild; why not have minimum contiguous acreage requirements and require that hunters be able to prove they have control of their dogs? Seems reasonable to me.
In some respects I'm surprised Granville has taken as long as it has. Its close to Raleigh/Durham, and its close on the right direction meaning it produces big deer, relatively speaking. That means that it will attract $$$.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
In some respects I'm surprised Granville has taken as long as it has. Its close to Raleigh/Durham, and its close on the right direction meaning it produces big deer, relatively speaking. That means that it will attract $$$.
Just gotta get the bow out and let arrows fly early. You have a good point though.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
November gun season vs oct is the only reason... same as with person. We have big deer here for a variety of reasons but that is one reason why the big $$$ is in Halifax imo.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I see it now, patrons at Tar River Fox Preserve having to surrender receivers to LEO during Nov. & Dec. Before you laugh and shake your head, I have had my big game tags checked on opening day(morning) of turkey season, while attending a field trial at a fox training preserve in ENC.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

You're not wrong, but land being closed off to dog hunters by QDM trophy hunters is a minor issue compared to the population influx and the division of rural land into subdivisions. It's not going to happen tomorrow or this year, but dog hunting is going to be severely restricted (if not done away with completely) in the coming years in the counties near Wake.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
You're not wrong, but land being closed off to dog hunters by QDM trophy hunters is a minor issue compared to the population influx and the division of rural land into subdivisions. It's not going to happen tomorrow or this year, but dog hunting is going to be severely restricted (if not done away with completely) in the coming years in the counties near Wake.
Especially North and West. I don't see it being as much an issue in Harnett, Nash counties. Some of that's the Geography of the job distribution, but I think some of it is the QDM types. You haven't been able to hunt deer in Johnston or Wayne Cotunties with dogs as long as I've been here.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I've always been of the opinion that local government up to the county level is the business of the folks that live there. Since I don't own land or live in Granville county what the citizens do there is none of my business.

As far as dog hunting overall, "that dog don't hunt" like it used too. Here in eastern NC it seems like every year one or more traditional dog clubs have switched from deer hunting with hounds to deer shooting from blinds, stands, apartments, castles, and most likely hot air balloons before to long. :ROFLMAO: Dog hunting for deer is slowly and quietly dying on its own for the myriad of reasons we've discussed on these and other forums. If you don't believe me, check out one of the larger Gamelands in the east on a Saturday during the season. Trucks blazing down every path, radios blaring, hounds baying, Bojangle boxes littering the roadsides, a real hoot. And if you ask them why they are hunting Gamelands most will reply that they have no other place to go. They've been run out of most of the clubs due to still hunting or lost their leases due to lack of funds or simply pissed off their neighbors. And now even some the adjacent Gameland private property owners are getting tired of it and complaining.

I don't think that this proposed law is based on certain groups trying to eliminate hunting. This came about because of complaints from landowners and residents concerning hounds running on their property, getting run over by vehicles, and probably a bit of dog dumping/abandonment at the end of the season. I can't recall how many half starved hounds I've seen on the roadsides in late January with no collars on. Add all of these issues together and this is what you get. More regulations and restrictions.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I I can't recall how many half starved hounds I've seen on the roadsides in late January with no collars on. Add all of these issues together and this is what you get.
That tells you right there what you are dealing with, not hunters, just fools and :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donks. Good dogs be it deer or whatever are expensive and they don't just abandon them. The caliber of people that do that no more deserve to be called hunters than the ones that dump carcasses out up and down the highway and kill animals and leave them lay or shoot domestic farm animals for the heck of it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't see this bill going anywhere
I would hope for once you are right but I am scared you aren't. Last night they sat stone faced and let people talk and didn't utter a word. Then retired for "discussion".