GPS and telemetry collars.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
How many of y’all only run a GPS collar on your deer dogs and who runs both collars?

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We run both on them at the same time. Been doing it since GPS first came out. Just didn't really know about GPS and trusted telemetry. Just kept doing it but now I'm leaning to just GPS

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I run both, no need to really with the new long range GPS antenna but just a backup in case one fails.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Reach. I have actually ran both. I despise the HDR. The performance in the two is almost the same but when you put that Reach down it is THERE, the magnet on it is a gorilla. The HDR even with the optional 3 magnet base sux. Plus I like the elements on the Reach a little better.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Reach. I have actually ran both. I despise the HDR. The performance in the two is almost the same but when you put that Reach down it is THERE, the magnet on it is a gorilla. The HDR even with the optional 3 magnet base sux. Plus I like the elements on the Reach a little better.

I hunted with your old club last year and got the fever again. Some of my old buddies joined and talked me into joining. Trying to decide if I’m back into enough to get another pack of deer dogs or not. I’ve hardly got any private land worth a hoot to coon hunt on but just can’t get hounds of some kind out of my system.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, I am back wide open also. It isn't cheap reoutfitting. I have spent a wad. Don't forget a Drive Trac

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Drive trac would be a must if I get back into it. I’d likely want to run a telemetry collar also and wouldn’t you know I long ago sold my old blue Wildlife box thinking I’d never need it again. Are you still coon hunting any? Believe I saw on here a while back one of your favorite dogs passed away. Makes it tough to load up and go when you loose a good one like that.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Drive trac would be a must if I get back into it. I’d likely want to run a telemetry collar also and wouldn’t you know I long ago sold my old blue Wildlife box thinking I’d never need it again. Are you still coon hunting any? Believe I saw on here a while back one of your favorite dogs passed away. Makes it tough to load up and go when you loose a good one like that.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I run GPS only. Ran both the first year, then realized I didn't need too. Yes, I have had malfunctions and lost dogs on a few occasions. I also had malfunctions with telemetry collars over the years. Nothing is fool proof, I just try to stay up on the hounds. I have been using a Tram long range antennae with a 6" magnet base.

Yes, it is always hard to keep going when you lose your favorite hound, but if it is in your blood you'll have to have some type of hound.

boomer

Twelve Pointer
I run both. On occasions GPS will have a glitch and I have had to use my wildlife collars to get up my hounds. I rather run both and not need both than to use only GPS and have issues and not be able to track my hounds

whitty

Six Pointer
I ran both until the batteries went bad in my telemetry collars and never replaced them. Just GPS now but there are a few rare times I wish I had both.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The way I look at it as I did not run 2 telemetry collars on my hounds for back up. Yes, there were a few times when that would have been nice, when the telemetry collar malfunctioned. Since the Alpha first came out I have only lost two dogs. About the same frequency as with the telemetry collars. When I say lost, I mean no signal at all and lost for good. At least with the Alpha I had a starting point, where the signal was lost.

whitty

Six Pointer
The only time I really wish I had both is when I’m hunting with a really large group of people and I get interference all the time. One day I tracked some other guys dog all day and I never found mine until he cut his collar off.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Hell I brought out my old telemetry collars this year to see of they worked and only 2 did out of 14. I haven't used telemetry since I got my astro in 2011. I have had two hiccups and it wasn't nearly enough for me to put that dang satellite in my dash again.

IMO there is no need to get telemetry if there are other clubs around your club for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: DRS

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The only time I really wish I had both is when I’m hunting with a really large group of people and I get interference all the time. One day I tracked some other guys dog all day and I never found mine until he cut his collar off.
It happens. Same can happen with telemetry collars too. I have seen times that there was so much interference with telemetry collars we couldn't track anything.

whitty

Six Pointer
It happens. Same can happen with telemetry collars too. I have seen times that there was so much interference with telemetry collars we couldn't track anything.
Oh theres no doubt about it. Just a pain when they act stupid. I just don’t see how you can’t have enough codes to lock into just one collar. Honestly it’s probably just I have gotten spoiled by how easy it is when everything works as it should. On a side note my handheld got stolen out of my truck last night. So off to fork out a bunch more cash.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You never know when they can go haywire also. I have been hunting a pup daily and I keep my stuff updated. I hunted it that morning and my stuff paired fine. That evening it wouldn't pair for crap. I went in the house and there was a new update and pairing was one of the patches, soon as I updated it paired in seconds.

gregor187

Six Pointer
Run Both,,,,,,,,Already own Beeps,,,,,,,,,,CHEAP INSURANCE

Run with folks every few weeks who do not run both and have to sit with them for hours extra trying to catch up.
we do not leave anyone til we all catch up.

I have been that guy myself.....Nice to reach behind the seat and send every home on time.

JDHowell

Ten Pointer
I only run GPS, I helped design and develop The Reach in efforts to maintain stronger communication with the collar. The added benefit was an increase in distance on the GPS side as well. The key i feel is to keep the handhelds and collars up to date on the software and use the ID list thats floating around the interweb.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I only run GPS, I helped design and develop The Reach in efforts to maintain stronger communication with the collar. The added benefit was an increase in distance on the GPS side as well. The key i feel is to keep the handhelds and collars up to date on the software and use the ID list thats floating around the interweb.
Yeah, and the reach has a magnet that stays PUT. Unlike some that with even three magnets will come loose and scratch the hell out of something.

whitty

Six Pointer
Tell me more about this id list. It looks like you may have put an attachment on your post but it won’t work on my phone for some reason.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Run Both,,,,,,,,Already own Beeps,,,,,,,,,,CHEAP INSURANCE

Run with folks every few weeks who do not run both and have to sit with them for hours extra trying to catch up.
we do not leave anyone til we all catch up.

I have been that guy myself.....Nice to reach behind the seat and send every home on time.

What is keeping them from getting their dogs up? I have been using GPS for 10 yrs and all my club has an alpha or astro and our dogs up no later than 30 min after dark. We have 80 to 100 dogs we turn out every Friday and Saturday and have no trouble at all.

Reactions: DRS

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, and the reach has a magnet that stays PUT. Unlike some that with even three magnets will come loose and scratch the hell out of something.

I use the 6" magnet from Outdoor Dog Supply, never had it come off. That is just the regular Tram antennae.

gregor187

Six Pointer
What is keeping them from getting their dogs up? I have been using GPS for 10 yrs and all my club has an alpha or astro and our dogs up no later than 30 min after dark. We have 80 to 100 dogs we turn out every Friday and Saturday and have no trouble at all.

Gladly answer that question.............Somebodys GPS collar quits working for the entire day every few weeks or so.

treestock

Four Pointer
I've run telemetry with every version of GPS I've owned and if times get skinny GPS is first to be sold. I've run the 220 the 20s. The alpha with tt10s and tt15s. And currently downgraded to 320 and 40s mainly because I went to beagle crosses and the satellite antenna gets in way of collars fitting. Even with the alpha and tt collars I came across situations where I would've been up the creek without that beep collar