Got Skunked at Bogue Inlet Pier Today

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Decided since it was much warmer to go fish for a while off BIP...Not bad out there at all temperature was nice with a light NE wind ...Dolphins were all around and some Loons diving both looking for a meal I guess.. Something got my bait off the hook a couple times but I never saw the fishing rod wiggle. The water was a very pretty shade of green and dark clouds gathered offshore which will bring us our next rain event for the coast tonight ...

It was nice being out there watching nature and a guy doing some repairs to the deck of the pier while I fished. I fed a couple Sea Gulls and a few Grackles and called it a day...Maybe next time a mess of fish for supper...

Last edited:

23mako

Ten Pointer
Thanks for the report ff. I am going to be down there this weekend and may give the rocks at fort macon a try. I'm hoping these south winds starting on Friday may get the fish to bite.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the report ff. I am going to be down there this weekend and may give the rocks at fort macon a try. I'm hoping these south winds starting on Friday may get the fish to bite.

Yeah we need a south wind to warm up the waters a little around Emerald Isle..Its going to be very cold again tonight that won't help with fishing any but the weather is suppose to warm up for the week-end into Monday. I might sneak over the first of next week and try it again, I'm ready for some fresh fish, hopefully soon...

Last edited:

23mako

Ten Pointer
Right on. I have usually done pretty good with the sea mullet in early March. I will let you know how I do on Saturday.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Right on. I have usually done pretty good with the sea mullet in early March. I will let you know how I do on Saturday.

Yes let me know for sure how you do if you fish Ft. Macon...We usually take the boat up to the turning basin in March and catch quite a few Sea Mullet. It won't be that long now until we get into some good fish I hope...Maybe the wind won't be so bad in March, it can blow like crazy which I hate, its a pain to try and fish in it.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
When I lived near the pier in the early 90's I remember some of the best fishing was when the pier was closed and the crowds were not around. We were fishing around Christmas hoping to catch a few trout when a massive school of bait came up beside the pier. All of a sudden several pilot whales came right in the middle for a snack. They pushed the school all the way to the beach. Fun days, no wife no kids not a care in the world!

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Oh my crittergitter, I remember those days too not hardly a care in the world fishing the Surfside Pier down in SC all night long with only a handful of folks on the Pier. I would leave at daylight and head home to get a nap before work.. For me that was a very long time ago now, late sixties early seventies. There were lots more fish to catch back then also, I hardly ever went without a good mess of fish in those days...