Got Dove Shells?

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
This entire week I've been getting calls from people I haven't spoken too in years asking where they could buy dove shells. Evidently all of the big retail stores are out-of-stock so I guess these sad souls are now out-of-luck. :D I figured something like this was going to happen so I stocked up back in March.

There may be some empty fields in the morning and I bet the traditional opening day yahoo skybusting will be less too.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve got plenty…. More than I’ll probably use in the next 10 years…lol

I won’t even be going tomorrow, the old lady has decided tomorrow is the ideal day to go buy another vehicle…

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I’ve got plenty…. More than I’ll probably use in the next 10 years…lol

I won’t even be going tomorrow, the old lady has decided tomorrow is the ideal day to go buy another vehicle…
Yikes. I couldn’t find anywhere to go. Too late now. Going scouting. Rearranged some stuff during all my free time and found a 5gal bucket full of AAs. I’d love to go one morning next week, but I’m high and dry. Only field I have access to isn’t cut.

zbrady

Four Pointer
I watched 3 guys today at Academy purchase multiple boxes of target loads because they didn’t have dove shells. They’ll work fine, but I wasn’t that surprised to see they were out. Fortunately I’ve ha

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yikes. I couldn’t find anywhere to go. Too late now. Going scouting. Rearranged some stuff during all my free time and found a 5gal bucket full of AAs. I’d love to go one morning next week, but I’m high and dry. Only field I have access to isn’t cut.
The season doesn’t open until noon here in Va, so I may get to slip out for a hunt.
I don’t have any fields either, so I’ll likely just post up near the water trough, lotsa polk berries along the creek, and a power line overhead, plenty of gravel around the water trough too, so it will be a decent spot I hope

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I watched 3 guys today at Academy purchase multiple boxes of target loads because they didn’t have dove shells. They’ll work fine, but I wasn’t that surprised to see they were out. Fortunately I’ve ha
Are you being humorous?

I'm asking because I didn't know that people differentiated between target loads and dove shells...

slugoo

Eight Pointer
This entire week I've been getting calls from people I haven't spoken too in years asking where they could buy dove shells. Evidently all of the big retail stores are out-of-stock so I guess these sad souls are now out-of-luck. :D I figured something like this was going to happen so I stocked up back in March.

There may be some empty fields in the morning and I bet the traditional opening day yahoo skybusting will be less too.
I only bought 2 boxes out of the 50-75+ I found at an undisclosed location for 11 bucks a box. I don't know if I'll love this dove hunting thing or not but now I don't really care because I know I missed out on a rare opportunity. I'll find out tomorrow. Then I'll go back to this same location because I assume that they get their shipments in on the day of the week I found all this ammo. There's no limit on how many boxes you can buy so I'll likely buy "a few". There's even a picture of a dove on the box!

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I only bought 2 boxes out of the 50-75+ I found at an undisclosed location for 11 bucks a box. I don't know if I'll love this dove hunting thing or not but now I don't really care because I know I missed out on a rare opportunity. I'll find out tomorrow. Then I'll go back to this same location because I assume that they get their shipments in on the day of the week I found all this ammo. There's no limit on how many boxes you can buy so I'll likely buy "a few". There's even a picture of a dove on the box!
You got took if you paid $11.99 a box for dove loads… even in today’s market.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I snagged enough for several seasons at academy last week for 6.99/box.
They have a picture of a dove and clay on every box, so they must be good double purpose shells!

slugoo

Eight Pointer
You got took if you paid $11.99 a box for dove loads… even in today’s market.
It was 10.99, but I guess that doesn't change much. I am still learning ammo prices and such, I started paying attention only about 2 months ago so I haven't experienced any baseline prices for most loads, only bloated ones. Thanks. What is a good price on dove shells?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It was 10.99, but I guess that doesn't change much. I am still learning ammo prices and such, I started paying attention only about 2 months ago so I haven't experienced any baseline prices for most loads, only bloated ones. Thanks. What is a good price on dove shells?
6-7 dollars per box is normal.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What @Tipmoose said.
You can save some by buying them in multi box “sleeves”, Walmart usually has them for $19.98 for 100 rds(4 boxes) or roughly $5 a box

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
image.jpgThis is what I got for $5.75 last week.

Admittedly because Rex’s has closed from what I understand, but Dad knows somebody… namely Rex…lol.

image.jpgAlso picked up 12 boxes of these at my LGS for just under $6.00 a box out the door

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

$3.99 a box

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
In what decade?

Not too long ago.

Of course he only asked for a 'good price' not specifically a 'good price' for today

Unfortunately Walmart probably is the best price if they have shells in today's market

Last edited:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Not too long ago.

Of course he only asked for a 'good price' not specifically a 'good price' for today

Unfortunately Walmart probably is the best price if they have shells in today's market- Winchester Super X brand

There are no $4/box shells anymore.