Got an ATF/FFL ?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I found a rifle in VA. Seller don't want to ship and I would rather look at it in person any way. Main reason seller don't want to ship in there is ammo included in the deal. I know NC law allows purchases from contiguous states.

This is what the ATF has on Out of State purchases:

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms
PART 478—COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
Subpart C—Administrative and Miscellaneous Provisions
§478.30 Out-of-State disposition of firearms by nonlicensees.

No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any other nonlicensee, who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides: Provided, That the provisions of this section:

(a) shall not apply to the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or any acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence; and

(b) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[T.D. ATF-313, 56 FR 32508, July 17, 1991; 57 FR 1205, Jan. 10, 1992]

So does paragraph (a) mean since NC allows purchases from contiguous states that a private sell is legal.

Just asking.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
One option regardless is if you like it buy it, have it shipped back here to a local ffl and do the paperwork when you get home. As far as the ammo you can get that from the guy and not have to worry about shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
One option regardless is if you like it buy it, have it shipped back here to a local ffl and do the paperwork when you get home. As far as the ammo you can get that from the guy and not have to worry about shipping

I have thought about that but it kind of defeats the purpose of going to get the firearm. I have thought about this. However, after adding the expense of travel, time, then shipping and FFL I would have more in the rifle than I like. I'm don't have to have the rifle. Just thinking, if I have to go through all of that to be legal, I'll just keep looking.

I have thought of a transfer there, if the seller would take the time to find an FFL willing to do it and for a reasonable price. Heard some don't like to.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Call and ask a Va ffl, lots of states allow outa state sales on long guns, pistols on the other hand are another matter

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
No you can not buy direct from the seller in this case.
yes you can go pick it up from a va ffl
yes you can have him ship to a ffl in nc and pick up.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Can always have him meet you at a ffl on the border.
Do a 50-50 drive. If he wants to sell it you will drive part if he will to meet you at a shop on the state line or....

He can bring it to a dealer here and transfer to FFL nc dealer then you buy it.

Last edited: