Got a fur question for ya Prune...

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Im gonna probably sell some beaver pelts to Groenwalds...frozen but not fleshed out. Dwayne had told me I could sell them like that. Anyways, once I skin it, what’s the procedure for putting them in the freezer. A google search left me in a rabbit hole of different opinions n do’s and donts. What’s your suggestion. Thanks!

Jammer

Six Pointer
Im gonna probably sell some beaver pelts to Groenwalds...frozen but not fleshed out. Dwayne had told me I could sell them like that. Anyways, once I skin it, what’s the procedure for putting them in the freezer. A google search left me in a rabbit hole of different opinions n do’s and donts. What’s your suggestion. Thanks!
I just shot him a text. He should be on shortly.

Prune

Four Pointer
Skin and make sure fur is dry..fold in half flesh to flesh. Freeze flat and when ready to sell pull out take to truck

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Prune is right on. I fold mine in half lengthwise and lay flat on a piece of cardboard until frozen. Do not thaw them out before taking them to the truck. Gary wants them still frozen.

Also, if you have several to freeze at one time, do not stack them on top of each other or the ones in the center of the sandwich may start to spoil before they freeze. The fur is excellent insulation. You can use small boxes or 2" x 4" blocks to create some air space between layers until they are frozen. Once frozen, you can rearrange them.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Prune is right on. I fold mine in half lengthwise and lay flat on a piece of cardboard until frozen. Do not thaw them out before taking them to the truck. Gary wants them still frozen.

Also, if you have several to freeze at one time, do not stack them on top of each other or the ones in the center of the sandwich may start to spoil before they freeze. The fur is excellent insulation. You can use small boxes or 2" x 4" blocks to create some air space between layers until they are frozen. Once frozen, you can rearrange them.

Sound advice thanks Harold!

Prune

Four Pointer
He buys otter green frozen too.Dry fur fold tail up under to belly skin side to fur ...fold one more again...take a 3/8" dowel or beaver nipping about 4" long insert into an eye..that way when you get tags pull outta freezer take out dowel and install tag .Know need to thaw some to tag

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
He buys otter green frozen too.Dry fur fold tail up under to belly skin side to fur ...fold one more again...take a 3/8" dowel or beaver nipping about 4" long insert into an eye..that way when you get tags pull outta freezer take out dowel and install tag .Know need to thaw some to tag

Awesome. I’ve has some near misses w otter but haven’t closed the deal on one. Even when I had a 330 set near an otter toilet I ended up w a muskrat. Thanks for the suggestions