Got a feeder question

DeerJerky

Six Pointer
Contributor
I have a hunting spot in a 5-6 year old cutover. A couple years ago I pushed out a couple of shooting lanes and put up a box stand positioned so that I can see both lanes as well as a field over my left shoulder. When I did all of this I also put up a 55 gal spin feeder in one of the lanes.
I regularly get does at the feeder and small bucks as well (none of which I shoot). I know there should be some decent bucks on this property but I just don't think they are coming anywhere near that feeder. My question is, should I pull that feeder and replace it with a protein feeder like the "Boss Buck", or should I not use a feeder at all and plant food plots in both lanes? One lane has a clover plot in it now.
This is pretty much the only spot I have that has the potential to produce a shooter buck and I want to do all I can to increase the chances of getting one to come into one of the shooting lanes while I'm in the stand. The rest of the property is a gnarly mess and is and is pretty much un-huntable.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
dj

RealTree_JD

Have you ran a trail camera on it? Just to know for certain that bucks aren't using it after dark.

Last edited:

bowtech

Ten Pointer
Use a trailer camera like stated above to see what kind of deer are using it, you are correct, big boy might not like the feeder, but hell like the does in the area and might step out chasing one/ checking the area for does

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use to see bucks coming in pretty regularly to my feeders down in Florida, not so much here in Carolina. If they come in they must be coming at night. If you keep those does coming you can cool believe that the bucks aren't far away though. I may bow hunt the feeder when I'm looking for meat but I hunt trails downwind and away from but leading to the feeder when I'm looking for ole big boy...

DeerJerky

Six Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the replies guys.
I have a camera on this feeder year round and it shows a lot of deer in the early mornings, evenings, and all through the night. Just no good bucks. I feel like there are good bucks in the area because for one thing two different neighbors have found very nice sheds within 200 yards of this cut-over. Another thing is this cut-over is the best bedding area for deer in the area. It's way off the beaten path, Very thick, lots of cover, big creek going through the middle of it, lots of beans and corn fields around it, white oaks on the creek. etc...
I was really wondering what you guys thought about replacing the spin feeder with something like a Boss Buck Gravity Feeder with Protein feed in it instead of the Spin feeder with corn. Or should I just pull the feeder all together?

Sometimes I just feel like I don't have a clue when it comes to hunting a good buck.

Thanks,
dj

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I would leave the feeder and hunt those oaks if you can. Or hunt the trails going to and from the oaks which wont be hard to find if you already know where the bedding is. Not many deer will walk past a white oak acorn to get to a corn pile. They will move to bedding areas closest to those oaks as well. Better chances in December with that corn feeder.

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
There are always exceptions but in my experience mature bucks don't frequent feeders. I was just telling buddy yesterday that I found a couple new areas and got pictures of good bucks right off the bat. Put up feeders and no pictures since. I usually put cameras away from the feeders to catch those that may try and sneak by but nothing. I have gotten to the point that putting a feeder can ruin a spot. However, Once the rut starts they we frequent the area looking for does but I usually use feeders for meat harvest and keeping deer on the property. My $0.02

ditchbank

Banned
I haven't had mine long enough to say, but i seriously doubt the Boss Buck Feeder will keep any deer from using a spot after its been there a little while. Its an inanimate object that deer will get used to. Spin feeders on the other hand are Noisy and have movement deer might not like in a certain area, at least I feel it will take them twice as long to get used to one. If you already have a feeder there, replacing it with a Boss Buck will not hurt anything. But I honestly don't think it will improve your chances of a big buck using it. If he used it (your feeder) when he was a button buck, and then at 1.5yrs old, he will use it at the age of 3. I feel I have my feeder in the wrong spot. Its in my food plot area. I shoot deer there. I'm scared that shooting deer near it will teach them to stay away from it. I should have positioned it 100yrds North and kept a camera on it just for inventory and kill the deer way before they get to it, but then again they keep using the food plot after I shoot. I honestly don't know. I do know that after a couple of shots in the plot the deer become very nocturnal. That's why I didn't shoot in there but twice last year.

Last edited: