Gossip Column: Did some Guide get Shot?

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I usually hunt by myself. One of my peers at Bell Labs, a great research scientist, was killed in a duck blind by a young "sportsman" who was not careful. We had worked on some great things together. This happened in Rhode Island in the late 1980's. It was years before I duck hunted again. Reminders of safety never hurt.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Propping a gun on a flush surface, bending over to pick something up with your gun strapped to your back, taking safety off before the shot is called, sitting down shooting when everyone else is standing, firing outside of your personal "shot zone", the list goes on...as long as the number one rule of keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction is applied and stressed 99.9% of accidents are avoidable. Maybe this thread will help one single accident be avoided someday, who knows. I've seen a lot of people get too excited/careless over a duck. Had a guy shoot a hole in the bottom of our canoe trying to get his gun on some flushing ducks. 20 ft deep water in late January. Needless to say I haven't hunted with him again either. You only get so many chances before luck's bound to run out....edited to say I'm glad the guide is ok and will live to see another sunrise. I can about guarantee if it was me I'd be having a safety briefing with my clients every morning after that experience

Last edited:

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Hunting is dangerous. We climb trees with loaded guns

That is how accidents happen. I have never climbed a tree with a loaded weapon. I try to be as safe as possible but :donk:donk:donk:donk does happen.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Big doves??

Lol No he had a box of old shells he had collected thought he was picking out high brass 71/2 but one he shot my direction want. Was sitting on bucket went thru knee then up next to thigh bone. Didnt really hurt at time it happened was more of a sting or burn. But few hours later was a different story

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Soo... it was careless handling .
Still not “accidentally”

Let me get to the short answer.
There are no accidents in the gun world. Things happen because of neglect and carelessness. The gun didn’t put itself there, it didn’t take the safety off, it didn’t forget it was loaded...
This happened this morning while duck hunting. Nobody was hurt and I have no idea what happened. Anybody that knows me will vouch that I'm a safety fanatic, gun was clean and in good shape. Ammo is new

Attachments

• 20191129_080010.jpg
    20191129_080010.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20191129_080001.jpg
    20191129_080001.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20191129_075946.jpg
    20191129_075946.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 60
  • 20191129_075935.jpg
    20191129_075935.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 58

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I didn't want to start a ruckus here, I was just curious as to whether this accident really happened or not? And guns, like any other mechanical man-made item, can and will fail eventually. That's why we have the brains and the inanimate objects do not. I've hunted with a lot of guides but I do not know this particular gentleman. I'm glad he is ok.

I was not aware of the waterfowl forum being shut down in the past but I can see it happening. Waterfowlers can be a very sensitive crowd to say the least. :LOL:

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I didn't want to start a ruckus here, I was just curious as to whether this accident really happened or not? And guns, like any other mechanical man-made item, can and will fail eventually. That's why we have the brains and the inanimate objects do not. I've hunted with a lot of guides but I do not know this particular gentleman. I'm glad he is ok.

I was not aware of the waterfowl forum being shut down in the past but I can see it happening. Waterfowlers can be a very sensitive crowd to say the least. :LOL:
Hopefully you are speaking of original post. Cause there is no way in Hell I put my daughter or lab at risk. I'm proof accidents happen in the real world.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I seem to have good luck with it. Perhaps yours is an operator issue.
I've seen enough stuck wads from it that I don't want to be anywhere near it. It's a barrel explosion waiting to happen.

I'm sure there's thousands of people that shoot it with no problems. I'm not going to find out if I'm one of the unlucky ones.

Fish Head

Eight Pointer
I hunted with Austin this past Friday, 11/29. He is lucky to be alive. The aluminum support post for his T-Top was riddled with shot. I'm guessing it was #2 shot based on the indentions. One pellet ricocheted off the aluminum & hit his nose. He really is lucky to be alive. Crazy stuff.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
I hunted with Austin this past Friday, 11/29. He is lucky to be alive. The aluminum support post for his T-Top was riddled with shot. I'm guessing it was #2 shot based on the indentions. One pellet ricocheted off the aluminum & hit his nose. He really is lucky to be alive. Crazy stuff.
We were hunting with him the day it happened. He told us it was BB.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I seem to have good luck with it. Perhaps yours is an operator issue.

There is plenty of info out there about blackcloud. I watched a friend split a barrel on a SBE from shooting that crap. But I will say in Federals defense the older shells that caused most of the issues said on the box not to shoot w/ ported chokes. That said for what they charge and what it is, it’s a waste of money.

Fish Head

Eight Pointer
We were hunting with him the day it happened. He told us it was BB.
He may have told us it was BB. I was kinda in shock looking at the pattern on the post.
He also told me he's had folks shoot over his head while he was retrieving birds. Quote, "people get excited & do dumb stuff. " I said, "some people are are just crazy as hell"