Good Start to Eastern Bear season

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Had a good start to the eastern season even with all of the water treed 4 took 3 . Largest was 496lbs the other 2 were 323lbs and 307 let one that looked to be about 200lbs walk. Couple of first timers got to take their bear only mishap we had was when one of the guys slipped a fell in a canal.

Last edited:

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Glad you are off to a good start. We had a great week. Killed six in five days and left a couple sows and cubs treed . Biggest was 450 and the rest over 300 . I hunt with a small group so we decided to go back to work for a couple days to give the dogs a break. We are almost out of tags and want to make the season last . The hounds took a beating but we haven't lost any . The hunters took a beating and we may have lost one of them šŸ¤£.I'm blessed to have the group I hunt with, we are a well oiled machine with everyone knowing the next step and not an once of greed or jealousy. Good luck to everyone the rest of the season.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Had a good start to the eastern season even with all of the water treed 4 took 3 . Largest was 496lbs the other 2 were 323lbs and 307 let one that looked to be about 200lbs walk. Couple of first timers got to take their bear only mishap we had was when one of the guys slipped a fell in a canal.
Sounds like an awesome start!!!
Glad you are off to a good start. We had a great week. Killed six in five days and left a couple sows and cubs treed . Biggest was 450 and the rest over 300 . I hunt with a small group so we decided to go back to work for a couple days to give the dogs a break. We are almost out of tags and want to make the season last . The hounds took a beating but we haven't lost any . The hunters took a beating and we may have lost one of them šŸ¤£.I'm blessed to have the group I hunt with, we are a well oiled machine with everyone knowing the next step and not an once of greed or jealousy. Good luck to everyone the rest of the season.
was hoping weā€™d hear from you soon! Yā€™all are wearing em out. Got a good laugh out of possibly losing one hunter lol. Saturday the boy will be over from TN for last day of the first season. Mentors bday too. Should be a good one

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Hope y'all kill a big one Saturday, that would be a nice bday gift. The hunter we lost was found but I think he is done with bear hunting lol

Reactions: RJ1

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Had our first run in with a land owner, actually it wasn't the land owner we were pulled into a field pulling a bear out when this woman stopped and starts giving us hell for being in the field says she has all our license plate numbers and is real good friends with the owner and is calling him right now just then my phone rang I said hello I don't think you are as good of friends with the owner as you think you are. Needless to say she left in a hurry.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Hope y'all kill a big one Saturday, that would be a nice bday gift. The hunter we lost was found but I think he is done with bear hunting lol
Iā€™ll keep ya posted! Haha a few weeks ago I got lost with two young dogs on leads. I was supposed to bring em to the guys waiting up at a clear cut so they could decide whether to pack em in with the others that were walking a bear that way. The instructions I got were ā€œjust follow that 4 wheeler trail till it ends.ā€ Shouldā€™ve been ā€œfollow the 4wheeler trail for 20 yds then go due north up the mountain .ā€ So me and the pups got some extra exercise . Once the dogs up top came into ear shot I figured it was a good chance for me to follow the sounds n see if Iā€™ve gotten better at hearing where the hounds are. Can be deceiving with all the riddles and holler n holes etc. Ended up the guys up top were tracking my progress by the collars on the two dogs I had. They didnā€™t answer the radio cuz they wanted to see if I could get it figured out šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I didnā€™t complain

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Iā€™ll keep ya posted! Haha a few weeks ago I got lost with two young dogs on leads. I was supposed to bring em to the guys waiting up at a clear cut so they could decide whether to pack em in with the others that were walking a bear that way. The instructions I got were ā€œjust follow that 4 wheeler trail till it ends.ā€ Shouldā€™ve been ā€œfollow the 4wheeler trail for 20 yds then go due north up the mountain .ā€ So me and the pups got some extra exercise . Once the dogs up top came into ear shot I figured it was a good chance for me to follow the sounds n see if Iā€™ve gotten better at hearing where the hounds are. Can be deceiving with all the ridges and holler n holes etc. Ended up the guys up top were tracking my progress by the collars on the two dogs I had. They didnā€™t answer the radio cuz they wanted to see if I could get it figured out šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I didnā€™t complain

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Iā€™ll keep ya posted! Haha a few weeks ago I got lost with two young dogs on leads. I was supposed to bring em to the guys waiting up at a clear cut so they could decide whether to pack em in with the others that were walking a bear that way. The instructions I got were ā€œjust follow that 4 wheeler trail till it ends.ā€ Shouldā€™ve been ā€œfollow the 4wheeler trail for 20 yds then go due north up the mountain .ā€ So me and the pups got some extra exercise . Once the dogs up top came into ear shot I figured it was a good chance for me to follow the sounds n see if Iā€™ve gotten better at hearing where the hounds are. Can be deceiving with all the riddles and holler n holes etc. Ended up the guys up top were tracking my progress by the collars on the two dogs I had. They didnā€™t answer the radio cuz they wanted to see if I could get it figured out šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I didnā€™t complain
That's why I quit hunting in the hills šŸ¤£

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Good week bear hunting no hounds got hurt, had some first timers take a bear the youngest was 11 year old young lady who made an outstanding shot on a 300lber right between the eyes, the oldest 74 year old gentleman who put the smack down on a 310lb bear running in a field another outstanding shot. Largest we took was 535lber. Also made another young lady happy Wednesday when we found a bear she shot still hunting late Tuesday afternoon took about 10 mins. turned 2 of my older hounds out on it they went in about 500 yards went to baying I could tell it was dead by the way they were barking nice 433lb boar got it out loaded up for her and her dad.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Good week bear hunting no hounds got hurt, had some first timers take a bear the youngest was 11 year old young lady who made an outstanding shot on a 300lber right between the eyes, the oldest 74 year old gentleman who put the smack down on a 310lb bear running in a field another outstanding shot. Largest we took was 535lber. Also made another young lady happy Wednesday when we found a bear she shot still hunting late Tuesday afternoon took about 10 mins. turned 2 of my older hounds out on it they went in about 500 yards went to baying I could tell it was dead by the way they were barking nice 433lb boar got it out loaded up for her and her dad.
Nice work, glad y'all having a good time

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
He got his bday gift! Hell of a fun day. Hunted different area/county. Non stop action. No camera checks, no intel from land owners, no nothing. Just did an hour uphill hike in the timber and free casted to see what would happen. Dogs got on 2 and split up so we got to hear one race on one side of the ridge we were on, and another race on the other. Ended up being small yearlings at both trees but great race to hear. Got back down to flat ground and another one crossed the road. ā€˜Nuther good race. Seemed like the hounds just wanted to run bears in a direction so we could always get a good listen. It was awesome. Eventually treed and we did the worst hike Iā€™ve done all season šŸ˜‚ The Boy was with me and he was ssssssmoked. But he made it all the way. Bear wasnā€™t huge. 200lbs. Fellers said if one of the younger or newer folks wanted to take it they could. On a total whim, a guy handed the 357 mag revolver to my better half and asked if she wanted to take it. She did! All in all it was a good day. Weā€™re getting ducks in a row so The Boy can take one during this second season. Finished the day taking him to the river so he could keep working on his fishing knots, learning to read the water, etc. only took 2 pics all day. This was not bear that was taken...it was one of the small yearlings. I just loved how high up he was .
67FB8634-98B5-4835-A407-90B6D4CB6853.jpeg
2E00F61E-A118-4C8D-B480-795D17C6F8FB.jpeg

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
He got his bday gift! Hell of a fun day. Hunted different area/county. Non stop action. No camera checks, no intel from land owners, no nothing. Just did an hour uphill hike in the timber and free casted to see what would happen. Dogs got on 2 and split up so we got to hear one race on one side of the ridge we were on, and another race on the other. Ended up being small yearlings at both trees but great race to hear. Got back down to flat ground and another one crossed the road. ā€˜Nuther good race. Seemed like the hounds just wanted to run bears in a direction so we could always get a good listen. It was awesome. Eventually treed and we did the worst hike Iā€™ve done all season šŸ˜‚ The Boy was with me and he was ssssssmoked. But he made it all the way. Bear wasnā€™t huge. 200lbs. Fellers said if one of the younger or newer folks wanted to take it they could. On a total whim, a guy handed the 357 mag revolver to my better half and asked if she wanted to take it. She did! All in all it was a good day. Weā€™re getting ducks in a row so The Boy can take one during this second season. Finished the day taking him to the river so he could keep working on his fishing knots, learning to read the water, etc. only took 2 pics all day. This was not bear that was taken...it was one of the small yearlings. I just loved how high up he was .
View attachment 55371
View attachment 55373
That's as good as you can ask for. The kid has to really be enjoying having y'all there for him and it sounds like the houndsman is enjoying having you there also. I love reading the stories of the progress y'all have made . So what you asking for for Christmas, a garmin or a dog kennel ? šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
That's as good as you can ask for. The kid has to really be enjoying having y'all there for him and it sounds like the houndsman is enjoying having you there also. I love reading the stories of the progress y'all have made . So what you asking for for Christmas, a garmin or a dog kennel ? šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Hahah both

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Been a long week. Between oyster roast, pig picking , Thanksgiving and plenty of adult drinks it's been hard to keep going. Turned out good with a couple people getting there first bear . Tomorrow is going to be bloody Marys and the arm chair until we start to process. No one allowed till 2 . Damn it sucks getting old but but it sure beats the alternative

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Been a long week. Between oyster roast, pig picking , Thanksgiving and plenty of adult drinks it's been hard to keep going. Turned out good with a couple people getting there first bear . Tomorrow is going to be bloody Marys and the arm chair until we start to process. No one allowed till 2 . Damn it sucks getting old but but it sure beats the alternative
Love it. Glad youā€™re still pushing. Gives us younger fellers hope šŸ¤£ Hell even if I have a legitimate reason to miss a day with the hounds, I still feel guilty knowing guys over twice my age are out there and Iā€™m busy with something else. Ainā€™t none of us getting outta here alive. Enjoy !

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Hunted Monday and Tuesday in Hyde county on some land I have leased there, been 2 years since I have ran it with hounds my lease partner still hunts on it every year took 2 off it one 402lber and a 280lber the smaller of the bear was taken by a young lady her first bear, she has a slight physical handicap but she made a outstanding shot on the bear, wasn't a real long chase before it treed, it took us longer to convince her mom that we could get her to a treed bear and out again with no problem earlier in the morning when we were deciding who would get the shot on a treed bear. I dropped the hide off yesterday to have it made into a rug for her. All in all had a real good time.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Hunted Monday and Tuesday in Hyde county on some land I have leased there, been 2 years since I have ran it with hounds my lease partner still hunts on it every year took 2 off it one 402lber and a 280lber the smaller of the bear was taken by a young lady her first bear, she has a slight physical handicap but she made a outstanding shot on the bear, wasn't a real long chase before it treed, it took us longer to convince her mom that we could get her to a treed bear and out again with no problem earlier in the morning when we were deciding who would get the shot on a treed bear. I dropped the hide off yesterday to have it made into a rug for her. All in all had a real good time.
Awesome story! Thatā€™s what itā€™s all about

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Had a fair start to the second eastern bear season today even after it rained really good from 4 to 6 am this morning, I do not really like to free cast hounds but I went to good crossing and cast 2 they worked really hard took almost an hour to get up on one and I packed 12 more head to them. Had a killer chase for about an hour and a 1/2 before they put him up a tree, took a young gentleman {10 years old} to the tree and he put him down with a 20ga slug to the head{ 278lb }. While we were getting that one out one of the guys saw one cross a road about a mile from us we got the first bear out and I dropped the hounds on the second took a little over a hour to tree right next to a road but the hounds were looking at him most of the time on this chase older gentle that hunts with us right much knocked him out of the tree standing on the road{ 468lber}. We had a very larger time we were back at the club house at 1:30pm.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
That was a good hunt and treeing a 468# bear is rare well, not common. Those are the walk/fight/bayup size. But I am not telling you a thing you don't know.

He went up a half fallen tree ,had a few hounds on it with him they just couldn't get to the top were he was at. I was very lucky he didn't come back down a little and slap a few hounds off it.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Sounds like a good day. We struggled this weekend finding a decent bear. Ran one sow with a cub , treed a boar on adjacent property and had to pull the dogs off, treed a small sow and pulled the dogs off. Kinda frustrating but it's always like that here this late in the season. Glad y'all are still on some good ones.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Been a tough couple of days bear hunting we killed a couple but took forever to get up on one. Didn't even try it today, hung around the camp washed clothes cleaned guns got a big pot of bear stew on the stove we have been setting on the porch talking about good hounds bad women and great bear hunts and hunters.