Good quality bow on a budget

Officerstanley

Button Buck
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and just getting back into more serious hunting these past 2 seasons. Both last year and this year I only gun hunted but am looking to get back into bow hunting again. Due to unfortunate situations, and the fact that I hadn't been able to use it for about 6 years, I had to sell my older bow a few years back. That being said, I am now at a place I can finally get back to hunting. I am looking to get a bow and get back practiced up for next season, unfortunately I'm on a pretty tight budget. Probably looking around $300-400 for the bow, I dont mind buying used as long as in decent condition if that means I can get a better quality. What bows would you recommend that I should look for? When I hunted before I was a hoyt guy but I'm not opposed to an older mathews, hoyt, ect... I'm not a name brand loyalist or fanboy, I just appreciate quality.

Thanks and sorry for the long post,

Lee Stanley

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I'd be looking at 2-3 year old used or a leftover ~2 year old model new-in-box.

You pretty much can't go wrong with a well=known brand. It's mostly going to depend on how it feels in YOUR hand.

wannabemountainman

Button Buck
I use a PSE StingerX. Bought it on eBay for $300 and it came ready to shoot with all the accessories. While over time I’ve replaced the sight, stabilizer, and rest that came with it, all the accessories were functional. I’ve shot several deer, squirrels, and a bear with it and never felt like I needed anything fancier. For the money I don’t think you can beat it if you go the brand new route.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
To me, all the major brands make quality bows these days ( Bowtech, Matthews, Elite, Hoyt, etc). its a matter of finding what qualities are important and going that route. For example, some bows are a little smoother, faster, shorter, etc. Kind of like Ford/Chevy, some guys are going to just tell you what they have is great, and they wouldnt be wrong, but it's irrelevant to you.

IF you live near a good bowshop, stop by and see if you can test out a few models and see if they have any used options that might suit you. If not, I think Archerytalk.com is the next best option. TONS of used bows on there and since they have a seller rating system you can know you are buying from a trusted seller in most cases. The only issue is that you need 50 posts ( maybe 20?) to be eligible so you might want to get an account and make a few posts now.

The classifieds here are also a great option ( I bought my last bow from the site here) but just wont find as many options for sale as you would on AT- that said, you know the seller would be legit if they have been around here for any length of time. I probably would stay away from Ebay, unless going new. Diamond makes good affordable bows, IMO, in the 400 range and they are a bowtech company, if you end up buying a new bow.

I shoot elite. No reason to replace the bow but my next bow will probably be a little shorter axle to axle - I prefer shorter bows but to my earlier point - thats just my preference.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Any bow you buy used you will need to get it checked out by a pro and have it set up so expect to spend another $100, more if you need a string and cables.

Officerstanley

Button Buck
Buy a used flagship bow that is a couple years old. You'll be way better than buying a new entry level.
That's kind of the mindset I'm in right now as well. The unfortunate part is I'm gonna have to go quite a few years back to get a flagship in my price range or just go with a decent model a couple years old and be good to go. I fell completely out of the game about 10 years ago and so much has changed and all these models. I dont know what are considered good models out of those brands. I know I have a ton of research to do but that's kind of what I'm working on now to an extent.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That's kind of the mindset I'm in right now as well. The unfortunate part is I'm gonna have to go quite a few years back to get a flagship in my price range or just go with a decent model a couple years old and be good to go. I fell completely out of the game about 10 years ago and so much has changed and all these models. I dont know what are considered good models out of those brands. I know I have a ton of research to do but that's kind of what I'm working on now to an extent.

I bought a 2017 Prime Centergy for $400 last year and I love it. It was an $1100 bow new.
If you’re on Facebook there’s a group called the archery store-buy, sell, trade
There’s tons of bows and accessories on there. I don’t think you’ll have any trouble finding a quality bow in your price range.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
IMO new breed archery and pse are going to be your best bet for a newer flagship bow at a great price.
Pse for the most part uses rotating mods to set draw length. So .. if you find one, it will adjust to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
I am on my second season with a Bear Cruzer G2. Ready to hunt package is in your price range.

I downed two deer last year and two so far this year.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
IMO new breed archery and pse are going to be your best bet for a newer flagship bow at a great price.
Pse for the most part uses rotating mods to set draw length. So .. if you find one, it will adjust to you.

This is pretty good advice. Adjustability will open up options for you. Keep in mind PSE has some sweet shooting smooth bows and some harsh super fast bows.

Unless you absolutely are a speed demon, I have not met folks that like the draw cycle on those.

Officerstanley

Button Buck
This is pretty good advice. Adjustability will open up options for you. Keep in mind PSE has some sweet shooting smooth bows and some harsh super fast bows.

Unless you absolutely are a speed demon, I have not met folks that like the draw cycle on those.
I like speed but would much prefer a smoother shooting and draw cycle over a few fps. I have never really tried PSE but am not opposed to it. Could you point me in the direction of a couple ones they make that are less harsh so I can check them out and add them to the list to compare?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Pse has a pile of bows. Just find one and check back here. Good advice, if the IBO is over 340fps it’s more than likely not a very comfortable bow to draw.
I picked up a dna sp 2013 bow up off archery talk for 160$ earlier in the year to mess around with. It was a great bow.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
About anything these days will shoot 300fps+.

That is plenty of speed.

My bow is rated at 340 and is about 10 years old. A Mathews monster 7. The monster series was about the smoothest to be found for a speedy bow.

All the companies had something with similar specs.

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
Lee, I would suggest going to a reputable shop, get measured and try out what they have used. A good shop will make sure the bow you like will fit you and is ready to shoot. Buying off ebay, AT or some other archery forum is OK but only after you have spent some time at a shop. With your budget though, buying directly from a shop will save you money and headaches in the long run.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
like others have said. get measured for your draw length. you may know it since you had a bow before but it never hurts to double check it.

berryman26

Six Pointer
I got a Diamond archery edge- it's a basic intro bow that helped me kill my first deer this season and works great for $300.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
I’ve been eyeing a new bow as well. I bought one today. 2015 prime with one pin adjustable sight. rest, case, dozen arrows for less than 400 at a hunting and fishing yard sale

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve been eyeing a new bow as well. I bought one today. 2015 prime with one pin adjustable sight. rest, case, dozen arrows for less than 400 at a hunting and fishing yard sale

That’s all anyone needs in a sight.

I used to set mine for about 25 yards. I practiced with it there for different distances. Just adjusted my aim point for where the deer was.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
That’s all anyone needs in a sight.

I used to set mine for about 25 yards. I practiced with it there for different distances. Just adjusted my aim point for where the deer was.

Pulled it out and shot it yesterday. Fast, quiet and dead on at 40 yards. Guy shot 3D so has marks our to 60 yards but don’t think I’ll ever use that mark

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pulled it out and shot it yesterday. Fast, quiet and dead on at 40 yards. Guy shot 3D so has marks our to 60 yards but don’t think I’ll ever use that mark

I used to shoot a decent bit of 3D archery. That helped me more than anything else I’ve ever done with a bow.

I shot a single pin sight. I cannot remember the name but it was built like a tank. It’s still on the bow. I shot in the money class (50 ya max). I shot tournaments with the same bow and sights as I shot in the woods. I would change arrows and switch to around a 12” stabilizer for hunting. I would actually shoot my hunting arrows if it were a tournament during the season.

I had marks out to around 114 yards. That’s as far as I could go on that setup without moving the sight to additional mounting holes.

If you practice LONG shots, the 40 yard shots become chip shots.

Very few places in NC woods will you shoot more than 30-40yds. The last year that I bow hunted, I killed one at 5 yds, one at 7, and one at 12 yds.

Practice some shooting at around 5 yards. You may be surprised to find it will be at a 40-50yd pin setting.