Good Day for Fox squirrel Hunting

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I made the trip to my Fox Squirrel woods just after lunch today. The woods were cool and slightly windy. I knew it would be cold tonight so the squirrels would be out looking for food and on these cold nights they head to the hollows in the trees instead of the leaf nest. My choice of tactics today was to sit in some good spots for 30 min between feeding areas and the hollows and move on sit and move on since the ground was dry and walking was noisy.
This was a good tactic today as my first sit was getting right at 20 mins and I had chose to sit on a slight ridge with a little valley to my left and right. after 20 mins I stood up and was looking behind me and I see a nice silver one lopping along right towards me at about 75 yds. Once getting close to me the skirl had angled a little to my left but I was ready . At 25 yards to my left she jumped up maybe 4 -5 feet up a turkey oak and my aim with my Marlin 22 was true.
I skinned her out and then left and got home right after dark. Her "rug" will be used in my mancave where I have a shelf with some reels and this rug along with 2 others a Black and red fox skirl run will lay on the shelf with the reels sitting on top.

This was a fun trip to my favorite woods.

North Carolina Fox squirrel 2022.jpg
North Carolina silver fox squirrel.jpg

Last edited:

buckman84

Eight Pointer
I made the trip to my Fox Squirrel woods just after lunch today. The woods were cool and slightly windy. I knew it would be cold tonight so the squirrels would be out looking for food and on these cold nights they head to the hollows in the trees instead of the leaf nest. My choice of tactics today was to sit in some good spots for 30 min between feeding areas and the hollows and move on sit and move on since the ground was dry and walking was noisy.
This was a good tactic today as my first sit was getting right at 20 mins and I had chose to sit on a slight ridge with a little valley to my left and right. after 20 mins I stood up and was looking behind me and I see a nice silver one lopping along right towards me at about 75 yds. Once getting close to me the skirl had angled a little to my left but I was ready . At 25 yards to my left she jumped up maybe 4 -5 feet up a turkey oak and my aim with my Marlin 22 was true.
I skinned her out and then left and got home right after dark. Her "rug" will be used in my mancave where I have a shelf with some reels and this rug along with 2 others a Black and red fox skirl run will lay on the shelf with the reels sitting on top.

This was a fun trip to my favorite woods.

View attachment 82938
View attachment 82939
That's a sharp looking Marlin!