Good couple days

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
We had a good couple days, Thursday and Friday. We hunted at the a N. Dismal. Thursday we had a few good races and the deer got away. Just wasn't at the right spots. In the afternoon we took a while to jump bit then it was on. Round and round, all 19 hounds, old experienced and the young hounds learning, all packed up tight and screaming. As the hours roared past, the circles were getting tighter and tighter. What they were after was wearing down. I'm thinking this race ain't going to last much longer, game turning back into the hounds. Over 3 hours into the race, the game broke into a straight line. That didn't last but for close to a half mile. No doubt they caught what they were after. I hurried in going in. Across the ditches and through the thick stuff. Marked a point and was heading that way, slowly. After a bout 30 minutes of trying to get to them or that point. They started drifting out. So I had to abandon that idea, and head back to try and help my buddy round up the hounds. We were get some, when I heard the bellowing blow of tree dogs coming into the exact same area. Bear dogs! Two of our best, along with three young hounds still in there. I have no doubt, they are going to check out what is happening. Finally, they treed. We have caught all but those five. Well, my favorite Allie, had not moved in about 30 minutes and she is about 200 yards from where they are treeing. I one of the five, Mufon, always goes to an opening hound with speed. Pays them no mind, but finally crops a creek a comes to me. Allie still has not move, not like her. I'm a little concerned. Did she get hurt on the bay up on what they caught? Or did she go in on the bear before it treed? It is we have about 45 minutes before dark. The bear hunters are heading in to the tree. Allie is a couple hundred yards away, the young hounds are at the tree. I put on my waders and cross ditch. Then walk a ditch, as far as I can. I'm close to Allie. I go up into the brush. Allie starts to move away from me pretty quick. I was only yards away then 20, 30, 50. I was glad she was moving, but not away. So I called to her she stopped. I kept talking to her. She is coming. She gets a few yards away where I can see her. She looks at me, like oh no! She dart away. I was wearing waders. I get her to come back. She approaches cautiously. It takes me a few minutes to get my hands on here. She is still acting skiddish. One of the young hounds collars is showing a "?". It only another 40 yards orr so. I can still hear the dogs treed. Sounding good, I have to say. I go check out the area, nothing. So I start back to the truck. Allie sheepishly, following. I'm having to make sure she is still coming. Then all of a sudden she is out in front of me heading toward the truck. She was not on my trail as I didn't come in that way. Then I realize the hounds have been pulled of the tree. When I get to the truck Allie was waiting on me. My buddy was down by the bear hunters' trucks. The other young hounds followed them out, even the one with a "?". His collar had died. The bear was to small to harvest on the club, plus they said it was a sow. We spoke for a moment and then started our trek home. I truly think Allie and Mufon don't like their new found experience with the bear. I also think Allie thought I was the bear coming back. Just glad all was well. Friday we had some good races. He got a doe. When we went back to look for the doe. Me and another friend watched his younger children. Always a challenge to keep them out of the ditches. Think it's all about human nature to live on the edge. LOL Well, even I walk over to the ditch and look down. What the heck? Funny looking leaf or is that a small arrow head? I reached down and sure enough it was an arrowhead. No other pics, except for the head. My woman who documents everything could hunt that day. The arrowhead is about an inch long. Made my day. We had a few more good races and called it a good day. IMG_20201218_085958037_HDR.jpg

Last edited: